Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

ahh. tDon. he's a good guy. always gracious at the Blue Line luncheons, when we used to have the opposing coaches talk. a good sport about his hair.
    he doesn't yet realize that tMel is the future.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      Bump off Page 2

Some Lucia/Pearson info from the StarTribune blog.

Gophers coach Don Lucia said new Michigan Tech coach Mel Pearson was a good hire with a good understanding of the school in Houghton, Mich., because he played for the Huskies

"Mel and I go way back," said Lucia on his weekly radio show Monday on 1500ESPN. "We graduated from high school the same year. He was at Edina, I was at Grand Rapids, so we played each other every year in high school."

Pearson was born in Vancouver, but his family moved to Edina when he was a youth.

"[After high school,] he went to Tech and I was at Notre Dame," Lucia said, "so we played every year through my four years of college. And, obviously, butted heads many times when he was [coaching] at Michigan and I was at CC [Colorado College] and then here. Mel is a good guy. It was a great hire on their part.

"Mel had been waiting -- I told Mel if he was waiting for Red [Berenson] to retire [at Michigan], you are going to retire before Red does. You better take a head job if that is what you want to do."

Pearson played for Michigan Tech from 1977-81. He was a forward. He was a Huskies assistant before joining Berenson's staff at Michigan in 1988. In 1999-2000, he became the Wolverines' associate head coach.

Lucia said Pearson has a good situation at Tech.

"The [Huskies] were absolutely devastated by injuries last year. ... Mel is playing a bit more high tempo," Lucia said. "They are much more skilled. ... Last year they were minus-25 in specialty teams, that is almost a goal a game and that is a big difference. And now they are a plus-1. So that is a major turnaround."

The Huskies have scored 15 power plays goals and given up 14.

"They are scoring a lot more goals," Lucia said. "They have two returning goaltenders from last year's team and they are off to a great start. ... They've got three balanced lines. They have some incoming freshman that are scoring and helping them."

Lucia said when he was in the WCHA, one of his favorite road trips was to Michigan Tech.

"The [hockey] community was a little more active back then," Lucia said. "Their rink was packed. It was a very difficult place to play. But it was a fun weekend of hockey when you went up there. They had it going, obviously [in] the '70s. They played the 'U' for three straight national titles in '75, '75, '76. And even up to 1981, they were in the Frozen Four that year as well."

Lucia said things will change for Michigan Tech in the WCHA in two years when the conference is re-shaped: "What you will see with the WCHA in a few years is how competitive it is going to be from top to bottom. Some of those teams, whether it be Ferris State or Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State, some of those teams which will be coming into the league are having great years.

"You will see real good balance in the league in a few years. And there is no reason that Michigan Tech can't look at itself and say, 'We are like everybody else. ]They are all pretty much Division II schools.] We should be able to compete with anybody in this new league.' "

* Lucia said the Gophers have been remarkably healthy so far except for forward Christian Isackson being out because of an infection (he played in two of the past three games) and defenseman Blake Thompson being out with mononucleosis.

Isackson has played in only four of 16 games, Thompson in two
      Pearson's probably OK with everything tDon had to say except for his last quote that basically says tech belongs in a DII league where they can compete.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
        Pearson's probably OK with everything tDon had to say except for his last quote that basically says tech belongs in a DII league where they can compete.
        I took slight exception to that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I took slight exception to that myself.
          and I. I'm not sure he understands that Tech isn't a Div II school ...
          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            I'm not sure he understands that Tech isn't a Div II school ...
            But, they are.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Lucia is a nice guy. He has great hair. and a successful program.

have you ever noticed, every time he does an interview or talk show or something, he sticks his foot in something. something, like his mouth.

that was a stupid and insensitive thing to say. I'm thinking of filing harassment charges.

(BTW its a good Cab not the Ketel One!)
              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

wow. Michigan is really tanked this year. hmmm. coincidence?
                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  wow. Michigan is really tanked this year. hmmm. coincidence?
                  Michigan has tanked and huskyfan is tanked?

I suspect they'll be just fine eventually, but Mel being gone has to be a major change.
                  Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                  I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                  Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post

Well, they DO. (c) tArrogance

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Well, they DO. (c) tArrogance

see?
                      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

I suspect they'll be just fine eventually, but Mel being gone has to be a major change.
                        workin my way ...
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

Well, I am back in Minnesota...
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

To tell the truth I could not be happier the way things are going. I think that comment about the D II programs is BS. The truth is that we will have quite a nice league with a number of very good D 1 programs who all could compete with umtc for recruits and rankings. IMHO we will be every bit as good a league as any of the other D 1 leagues around the country and better than several.
                            Also, I'd say mel is better than just about everyone else at coaching and I'd pick him any time. Maybe our team is not quite as good as umtc this year but who expected us to be at the top anyway.
                            I am, for the first time in years, proud to go to the GLI with my Tech logo shirt on.
                            I think our team will continue to get better thru the year and come march we will be pretty darned good. I wouldn't want to play us for sure.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              To tell the truth I could not be happier the way things are going. I think that comment about the D II programs is BS. The truth is that we will have quite a nice league with a number of very good D 1 programs who all could compete with umtc for recruits and rankings. IMHO we will be every bit as good a league as any of the other D 1 leagues around the country and better than several.
                              Also, I'd say mel is better than just about everyone else at coaching and I'd pick him any time. Maybe our team is not quite as good as umtc this year but who expected us to be at the top anyway.
                              I am, for the first time in years, proud to go to the GLI with my Tech logo shirt on.
                              I think our team will continue to get better thru the year and come march we will be pretty darned good. I wouldn't want to play us for sure.
                              I agree. This team is probably a 8th-10th place team. That's been the estimate from the start of the season, and I don't think there is a single weekend so far this year that isn't consistent with that. Even after DU and UW, no one was talking about winning the league (there was some light hearted comments about being on top of the power rankings and at outside shot at 6th and home ice). Historically, a 8th-10th team could beat a 3-4 team at home and the splits on the road (even the sweep at BSU) aren't inconsistent with where we are at. At this point the biggest difference isn't that we can go into UM and sweep (that would be nice, though), but that if we win, it will be because we played our game and are a competitive team as opposed to hoping our goalie can stop 70 shots.

Comment

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 12-07-2011, 12:12 PM. Reason: Wrong thread...
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X