Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    I refuse to give any respect to a program who's top player award is given to whoever "maimes" a player of a nearby university who isn't in the same conference.
    The award has nothing to do with maiming anybody. It's an award for the top player for Tech from the year's series.

2003-04—Colin Murphy
    2004-05—Colin Murphy
    2005-06—Jake Wilkens
    2006-07—Mike Batovanja
    2007-08—Jimmy Kerr
    2008-09—Josh Robinson
    2009-10—Brett Olson
    2010-11—Deron Cousens
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

It's also hardly the 'top' or 'most prestigious' award, as evidenced by the fact that Jimmy Kerr won it the year we went 0-2-1 against NMU.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        There is a rivalry between NMU and MTU? Pretty sure the last time this series was relevant (from the Northern side) was 2006. I know as a fan I tried to keep the rivalry alive longer, but there just isn't anything there. NMU looks as it as a crappy NC matchup where we want to leave with a W and no one injured. MTU pays a little extra to have the ambulance circle the arena with the siren because "there will be blood inside."

I refuse to give any respect to a program who's top player award is given to whoever "maimes" a player of a nearby university who isn't in the same conference.
        While this entire post is probably a joke and is just complete crap, I do look forward to the days when this series has some teeth to it with conference points on the line.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          While this entire post is probably a joke and is just complete crap, I do look forward to the days when this series has some teeth to it with conference points on the line.
          Just about sums it up.

Comment

here kitty kitty kitty
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

That weekend never happened. That weekend never happened. That weekend never happened.

Guess I'll have to up my dosage.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                That weekend never happened. That weekend never happened. That weekend never happened.

Guess I'll have to up my dosage.
                What do you care? You have the power of Angry Birds now, you never need to pay attention to Michigan Tech again.
                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

As if the wreck that college hockey has become wasn't enough for this year, now the NHL announced its new alignment with FOUR CONFERENCES. (No that's not a typo). Four CONFERENCES with either 7 or 8 teams. You play all teams in the other three conferences twice (one home and one road) and then every other team in your conference 5 or 6 times depending on how many teams you have. That part I can almost buy. You get to see every team at least once at home. But here is the kicker...

The top four teams in every conference make the playoff regardless of how many points you have compared to other conferences AND you play IN conference for the first two round of the Stanley Cup. Gary Bettman needs to be fitted with some cement shoes and dumped of the end of a short pier. How much does he have to tweak hockey???

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

First, the vote was 26-4, so clearly the plan was not being rammed down the owner's throats by Herr Bettman.

Second, to their credit, this does keep the first two rounds of the playoffs within a fair traveling/time zone distance for pretty much everyone. No more early visits to Phoenix, Anaheim, and San Jose for the Wings.

Third, the schedule is finally balanced. Everyone will play each other at least twice every season, which is an improvement for the Original Six teams.

I'm all for giving Herr Bettman some healthy verbal abuse, but I don't believe this is quite as awful as everyone thinks. Yes, you're going to get cases where the #5 team in the Norris Conference is half a dozen points ahead of the #4 team in the Adams Conference, but that's just tough shit; #5 Norris should've won more games. If it turns out to be a major problem, they can always tweak the playoff selection format again.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      First, the vote was 26-4, so clearly the plan was not being rammed down the owner's throats by Herr Bettman.

Second, to their credit, this does keep the first two rounds of the playoffs within a fair traveling/time zone distance for pretty much everyone. No more early visits to Phoenix, Anaheim, and San Jose for the Wings.

Third, the schedule is finally balanced. Everyone will play each other at least twice every season, which is an improvement for the Original Six teams.

I'm all for giving Herr Bettman some healthy verbal abuse, but I don't believe this is quite as awful as everyone thinks. Yes, you're going to get cases where the #5 team in the Norris Conference is half a dozen points ahead of the #4 team in the Adams Conference, but that's just tough shit; #5 Norris should've won more games. If it turns out to be a major problem, they can always tweak the playoff selection format again.
                      I just have a prob with the playoff format/four conferences. 2 Conf, 2 Div each. Keep the "same" playoff format as now. Done. Easy as apple pie. Nope. Gotta mess it up.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I just have a prob with the playoff format/four conferences. 2 Conf, 2 Div each. Keep the "same" playoff format as now. Done. Easy as apple pie. Nope. Gotta mess it up.
                        I can get behind Brent's idea. Rather than straight 1-4 from each division though, I'd send division champions & runners-up plus 4 wild cards from each conference. Still 16 teams in playoffs, just a bit more excitement at the end.

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                          I can get behind Brent's idea. Rather than straight 1-4 from each division though, I'd send division champions & runners-up plus 4 wild cards from each conference. Still 16 teams in playoffs, just a bit more excitement at the end.
                          I actually think we'll be seeing that eventually, once enough owners have whined about their traditional market team getting screwed by some sub.-500 sunbelt turd who sneaks in as a 4-seed in another, weaker conference.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I actually think we'll be seeing that eventually, once enough owners have whined about their traditional market team getting screwed by some sub.-500 sunbelt turd who sneaks in as a 4-seed in another, weaker conference.
                            Meanwhile, Hammer just brought up the "opposite of contraction" word in the Board of Governors thread. Say hello to the Hamilton Moneygrab?

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                              Meanwhile, Hammer just brought up the "opposite of contraction" word in the Board of Governors thread. Say hello to the Hamilton Moneygrab?
                              I don't have a problem with a team in Hamilton, as long as it gets moved in from somewhere else - not a new franchise.
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Bump off Page 2

Some Lucia/Pearson info from the StarTribune blog.

Gophers coach Don Lucia said new Michigan Tech coach Mel Pearson was a good hire with a good understanding of the school in Houghton, Mich., because he played for the Huskies

"Mel and I go way back," said Lucia on his weekly radio show Monday on 1500ESPN. "We graduated from high school the same year. He was at Edina, I was at Grand Rapids, so we played each other every year in high school."

Pearson was born in Vancouver, but his family moved to Edina when he was a youth.

"[After high school,] he went to Tech and I was at Notre Dame," Lucia said, "so we played every year through my four years of college. And, obviously, butted heads many times when he was [coaching] at Michigan and I was at CC [Colorado College] and then here. Mel is a good guy. It was a great hire on their part.

"Mel had been waiting -- I told Mel if he was waiting for Red [Berenson] to retire [at Michigan], you are going to retire before Red does. You better take a head job if that is what you want to do."

Pearson played for Michigan Tech from 1977-81. He was a forward. He was a Huskies assistant before joining Berenson's staff at Michigan in 1988. In 1999-2000, he became the Wolverines' associate head coach.

Lucia said Pearson has a good situation at Tech.

"The [Huskies] were absolutely devastated by injuries last year. ... Mel is playing a bit more high tempo," Lucia said. "They are much more skilled. ... Last year they were minus-25 in specialty teams, that is almost a goal a game and that is a big difference. And now they are a plus-1. So that is a major turnaround."

The Huskies have scored 15 power plays goals and given up 14.

"They are scoring a lot more goals," Lucia said. "They have two returning goaltenders from last year's team and they are off to a great start. ... They've got three balanced lines. They have some incoming freshman that are scoring and helping them."

Lucia said when he was in the WCHA, one of his favorite road trips was to Michigan Tech.

"The [hockey] community was a little more active back then," Lucia said. "Their rink was packed. It was a very difficult place to play. But it was a fun weekend of hockey when you went up there. They had it going, obviously [in] the '70s. They played the 'U' for three straight national titles in '75, '75, '76. And even up to 1981, they were in the Frozen Four that year as well."

Lucia said things will change for Michigan Tech in the WCHA in two years when the conference is re-shaped: "What you will see with the WCHA in a few years is how competitive it is going to be from top to bottom. Some of those teams, whether it be Ferris State or Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State, some of those teams which will be coming into the league are having great years.

"You will see real good balance in the league in a few years. And there is no reason that Michigan Tech can't look at itself and say, 'We are like everybody else. ]They are all pretty much Division II schools.] We should be able to compete with anybody in this new league.' "

* Lucia said the Gophers have been remarkably healthy so far except for forward Christian Isackson being out because of an infection (he played in two of the past three games) and defenseman Blake Thompson being out with mononucleosis.

Isackson has played in only four of 16 games, Thompson in two

Comment

Working...
                                X