Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Did you see this midget: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....8665/linkorama discussion of Jamie Russell.
    It's definitely a good and valid point. I just think that Jamie and staff was reluctant to open up and attack after Murphy, Conner and Shelast were all gone. I'm sure the injuries had something to do with it, but you have to try to attack on a regular basis. Sitting back and taking all that punishment might keep you in games, but the war of attrition will catch up with you before too long. And it did.

It's a shame that he's not getting the opportunity that Mel is right now, but I also don't think that Jamie would be having the same success as Mel right now with the same guys. I like Jamie and think he is a good coach, but the fresh start was needed. For the players and the program.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
      What do you think about Minnesota? I can't really see them interested in meeting any of the UP schools at the Resch, but I also don't see them entirely giving up on Tech (can't speak to NMU, and I doubt they'd ever consent to a Soo trip.)
      With the recently announced plans for the "Minnesota Beanpot" where the Gophers will use 8 of their non-conference games to play the other 4 Minnesota schools, i don't see much left there unless MTU is willing to play Mariucci without a return trip. Minnesota is likely to have 20 conference game, 8 games vs MN schools, 2 bought home games, and 4 games against other teams, those teams are probably UND, DU, BC, BU, Miami, etc...not MTU.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Today is the fifth installment of Future Huskies where we have an in depth question and answer session with one of the committed recruits to get to know more about their decision to play for Michigan Tech and what they will bring to the Huskies. Today we have quotes from the MTU staff and the Head Coach of the Alberni Valley Bulldogs, Kevin Willison. Walker Hyland is featured in today's installment. He is offensively minded defenseman that currently plays in the BCHL and will join the Huskies next season.
        Future Huskies: Walker Hyland http://dlvr.it/19hzsZ
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          With the recently announced plans for the "Minnesota Beanpot" where the Gophers will use 8 of their non-conference games to play the other 4 Minnesota schools, i don't see much left there unless MTU is willing to play Mariucci without a return trip. Minnesota is likely to have 20 conference game, 8 games vs MN schools, 2 bought home games, and 4 games against other teams, those teams are probably UND, DU, BC, BU, Miami, etc...not MTU.
          ok, I agree on minnesota, but I'm going to speculate that we do get 2 vs wisconsin, which we only do every other year and alternate that with michigan or msu, 2 gli, and 2 vs Duluth. So that leaves two games to play out east vs somebody or 4 if we get two exemptions. am I right here?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            ok, I agree on minnesota, but I'm going to speculate that we do get 2 vs wisconsin, which we only do every other year and alternate that with michigan or msu, 2 gli, and 2 vs Duluth. So that leaves two games to play out east vs somebody or 4 if we get two exemptions. am I right here?
            We'll probably get the Alaska exemption every year from 2013 until the next reshuffle. I doubt we get two of them unless the NCAA rules favorably though.

I'd be very surprised if we ever played Michigan or MSU outside of the GLI or the NCAA (eventually). St. Cloud or UND is more likely, along with a random eastern school.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
              We'll probably get the Alaska exemption every year from 2013 until the next reshuffle. I doubt we get two of them unless the NCAA rules favorably though.

I'd be very surprised if we ever played Michigan or MSU outside of the GLI or the NCAA (eventually). St. Cloud or UND is more likely, along with a random eastern school.
              I have a feeling Michigan and or Michigan State will make a trip to MacInnes at least once in the next 5 years, most likely Michigan.

Comment

Gawd, that's depressing...

Although, it probably will lead to a more harmonious home life.
                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Alleged words of a nameless former coach: "$275,000 is a lot of money for no GLI wins"

Or something...
                  If you do the math, with the increase in ticket prices and the increase in average attendance, Tech will make up the $190K in salary and make a profit this year; that doesn't even include the increase in parking and concessions from the increase in attendance. Pretty good investment that pays off the first year.

From a player last year in October "it already feels like a long season"

From a player this year in October "having a blast playing for the most positive coach he's ever played for".

It didn't happen soon enough IMO but I'd say it all has worked out pretty well.

On another note in a hypothetical situation that Tech got invited to join the NCHC after this year, I'd decline.
                  Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                    If you do the math, with the increase in ticket prices and the increase in average attendance, Tech will make up the $190K in salary and make a profit this year; that doesn't even include the increase in parking and concessions from the increase in attendance. Pretty good investment that pays off the first year.

From a player this year in October "having a blast playing for the most positive coach he's ever played for".

On another note in a hypothetical situation that Tech got invited to join the NCHC after this year, I'd decline.
                    Based on just the 433 more tickets they are selling on average, Tech stands to earn about $100k more.
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

not to mention the marginal revenue of possible additional home game, increased jersey sales, etc.
                      Even if it loses money it's a good deal in my opinion.

Comment

not to mention the marginal revenue of possible additional home game, increased jersey sales, etc.
                        Even if it loses money it's a good deal in my opinion.
                        uhm, Michigan Tech does not make more money by hosting playoffs.

Comment

Mel Pearson is a winner, no one thought he could get the Huskies to this point this year.
                          I just hope we can keep keep him in Houghton long term. No knocks to Jamie
                          but no way this happens without Mel.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post

I realize now my context may have come off as bitter or in agreement. I don't disagree with the decision to change coaches at all, nor with what the school paid to land Coach Pearson. I was ready to pull the trigger after last season. The eye roll was for the spiteful nature of the alleged remark.

Comment

uhm, Michigan Tech does not make more money by hosting playoffs.
                              hmmm... so the league gets the revenue after expenses, IF we were to have home ice?

Comment

hmmm... so the league gets the revenue after expenses, IF we were to have home ice?
                                correct, which we get a slice of as members of wcha.

Comment

Working...
                                X