Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    what do Michigan Tech and U of M have in common? They were both held out of the NCAA Tournament for over a decade straight before hiring MEL.

I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.

How long did it take Michigan to get back to the tournament after hiring Mel?

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

what do Michigan Tech and U of M have in common? They were both held out of the NCAA Tournament for over a decade straight before hiring MEL.

I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.

its going to be very difficult for Michigan Tech to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the BroAdmoor Trophy because of their horrible OOC record.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        its going to be very difficult for Michigan Tech to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the BroAdmoor Trophy because of their horrible OOC record.
        It won't happen this year. But I'm thinking within 3 or 4. I love our freshmen.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
          How long did it take Michigan to get back to the tournament after hiring Mel?
          They made it in '64, did not until '77, and were out again until '91, Mel's 3rd season as assistant.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

New Article up on Tech Hockey Guide has two parts, first we discuss MTU's new found focus on finding a way to secure home ice for the WCHA playoffs and second we discuss just how much Mitch's Misfits means to the Huskies players and coach Mel Pearson:
            Michigan Tech Focused on Home Ice/Thank You Misfits
            http://dlvr.it/1811VW
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

win Friday.

home ice.

let the NCAA take care of itself.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Yah, I don't think just 28 pts are going to get the job done. Kind of thinking 31 or 32 is the new target. That means playing .600 hockey down the stretch.

Game on!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
                  Yah, I don't think just 28 pts are going to get the job done. Kind of thinking 31 or 32 is the new target. That means playing .600 hockey down the stretch.

Game on!
                  like the late Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby!"

when it comes down to doing the math to making the playoffs, the more wins you have is usually the best thing you can have. Oh sure, earning the automatic bid for winning the conference tournament is nice as well, but it makes the weekends before that a little less stressful when you know going in that you're pretty well set in having a spot at the big kids table.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I thought I was hearing Dirk wrong when I first heard 4-0 MTU on Saturday night... What a game! And a ****ed good weekend. Loooooooved that I could hear "Let's go Huskies" over the radio in Duluth. Need a sweep this weekend to keep it rolling. Hopefully pasty.net works from Dubai!
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Mel Pearson show, Mel was on the phone today, I only included Tech related items, they also talked about some other team's standing in WCHA:

On weekend in Duluth:
                      Outcome was good, the way the weekend started we were concerned, probably our worst period of season.
                      On leaving Robinson in on Friday: Josh has played well for the most part this season, he was pulled against NMU, Mel second guessed himself about that a bit, Josh didn't have a chance on most goal Friday, it was more on our team standing around.
                      We told Josh he'd remain in net, our team had let him down and they'd have to be better. Josh responded and made some key saves, that give him confidence and Sat he was in control and solid.
                      On friday, wanted to come out and play better hockey in 2nd/3rd, we dug a very deep hole, we wanted to win 2nd period. Players knew we could play a lot better, just wanted to chip away.
                      Kero made a nice saucer pass to Furne, JOhnstone also drove net with Dman, giving Furne some room, nice goal for 1st goal Friday
                      Damon Whitten gets a ton of credit, he's done a great job with PK for killing the 5 min penalty in 3rd Friday night
                      We were in control of the game after tieing it 4-4
                      We dug ourselves a hole,but coming back like we did set the tone for the next night
                      Sat:
                      Been working with J. Johnstone to have a quicker one-timer, and it's helped with his PP goal
                      Great to see Josh get the shutout
                      Was able to use all 4 lines the whole game, a lot of confidence in all our lines right now
                      We were able to shutdown Connolly, need to be aware he's on the ice, don't give him time/space

WCHA Standings: Currently in 7th
                      Tech plays a few teams around them in the standings
                      It's exciting, our guys are looking forward to the finish, we're not that far out of 3rd place, every point is huge
                      Have to just be sure you play the games, don't get caught up in where you'll finish
                      3 point out of 3rd, DU, and we hold tie breaker, kids have done a great job, we need to take care of our business

Questions:
                      At what age do you start watching potential recruits?
                      Mostly in grade 9, start to get a feel for kids that age. Recruiting is getting earlier and earlier. When Mel started it was pretty much only Seniors you watched.
                      Most Sophomore/Junior kids have a scholorship offer. It's the recruiting world we live in.

Your thoughts on Amsoild arena and any plans changed for JMSIA?
                      They've done a really nice job there, nice intimacy, not huge but can seat 6700 people. JMSIA changes: we've discussed some things, nothing planned or ready to talk about at this point.

On defense, you aren't losing any defensemen to graduation, do any incoming players have the chance to crack top 6 next year?
                      We don't lose anyone, we have 1 coming in and he probably wont crack the top 4 but could crack the 6 Dmen.

Any European recruiting trips?
                      We've talked about it, but no. Mel would like to get into Finland and maybe Sweden. Mel has some connection to Finland and they've talked about it a little.

Any updates to JMSIA?
                      Personally Mel would like to make a couple, the scoreboard is dated. Our weight room/locker room need to be updated, hopefully we can make some changes as we go forward.

How have you gotten the team to believe they're going to win?
                      We have good kids here, they want to succeed and do well. Have to put them in a position to have success. Have to show them you believe in them, let them play. Success helps them believe in what we're doing too.

Has Chad Pietila been a pleasant surprise, or were you expecting a certain level of play from him?
                      He's been good, whenever you sit out a year, it takes time to get back into the game. Friday he didn't get a chance to play a lot due to not being on PK/PP, he's a great kid, fun to have around.

Series against Mankato:
                      Last time they met they split.
                      Mankato is a good hockey team, they had a lot of injury problems early in the year.
                      Mankato split with UNO, we'll have our hands full, it's always tough on the road.
                      Mel likes our confidence, but have to get back to work and move forward.
                      They have an olympic sheet.
                      1st think you look at is to make sure there isn't a let down, happy to go back on road, no distractions.
                      Currently expecting same lineup, hard to find someone that did not play well, especially on Sat
                      Came out of weekend fairly healthy, may sit a couple guys at practice to let them rest

Mel made one comment about all the fans in Duluth, and all the fans that stayed after the game on Saturday, what a great experience for our players, really somethign Mel hadn't seen in awhile, good for our fans/players.

Comment

1) WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I did a double take when I looked at the score Saturday night! I thought it had to be a reversed score typo.

2) Check out the game blog on the Duluth News Tribune website. Here are few entries:
                        - tech believes after Friday
                        - tech goal...and I am not kidding...this is so one sided...it could be stopped by a TKO
                        - the shots are mounting up so fast I can hardly count them...and I'm not kidding
                        - this is really something I haven't seen for more than 1 1/2 seasons...can't explain this folks
                        - Just tuning in?...surprised at the score?
                        - Comment From UMD Alum: "Are we going to have to cheer SOG instead of actual goals????"
                        - Comment From Marie: "Listening on the radio. Can hear the MTU fans, Mitch's Misfits, more than the UMD fans!"
                        - the way I have it figured, after scoring 4 goals in Friday's first period, UMD has been shut out for 89 minutes, 47 seconds...and UMD has been No. 1 in Division I scoring for a while at 3.96 per game

3) I'm surprised that nobody at UMD mentioned that this was a payback weekend for Mel. I guess they forgot he was a Michigan assistant at the national championship game last year. It's obvious that Mel hasn't forgetten!
                        "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                        Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                          3) I'm surprised that nobody at UMD mentioned that this was a payback weekend for Mel. I guess they forgot he was a Michigan assistant at the national championship game last year. It's obvious that Mel hasn't forgetten!
                          That's right! I forgot all about that.
                          It sure is nice to see the team at full strength & healthy this time of year. The changes to the strength & conditioning program have really paid off. *knock knock*

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                            They played quite well against UMD in Houghton too, but made some bad mistakes in the 3rd period both nights that cost them a chance at points.

Comment

That's right! I forgot all about that. It sure is nice to see the team at full strength & healthy this time of year. The changes to the strength & conditioning program have really paid off. *knock knock*
                              Has there actually been a change?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                Has there actually been a change?
                                I'm sure there were some changes considering they fired Chris Ipson last year. Plus, we heard they quit using the skating treadmill.

Comment

Working...
                                X