Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

interesting game tonight. the arch rival. but the game means nothing in terms of home ice for the playoffs. but it is a grudge match. will the guys have their heads into this game? or not?

we haven't lost many games this year where we were flat out beaten by a better team. mostly its been our own fault with the deadly mental lapse or stupid penalty.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      interesting game tonight. the arch rival. but the game means nothing in terms of home ice for the playoffs. but it is a grudge match. will the guys have their heads into this game? or not? we haven't lost many games this year where we were flat out beaten by a better team. mostly its been our own fault with the deadly mental lapse or stupid penalty.
      This game is a setup for next year and NMU is high in the pairwise

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        This game is a setup for next year and NMU is high in the pairwise
        This game also means a ton for any chance of NCAAs. Losing this game pretty much eliminates all chances of getting an at-large bid.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          This game also means a ton for any chance of NCAAs. Losing this game pretty much eliminates all chances of getting an at-large bid.
          Sums it up, even though I don't anticipate an at-large bid this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
            This game is a setup for next year ...
            Huh? I didn't realize that MTU was jumping to the CCHA for a year before the "Great Western Conferences Realignment."

It's a set-up for 2013-14 if anything. And honestly... All this is for NMU is a PWR help/hinderence (depending on outcome).
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Huh? I didn't realize that MTU was jumping to the CCHA for a year before the "Great Western Conferences Realignment."

It's a set-up for 2013-14 if anything. And honestly... All this is for NMU is a PWR help/hinderence (depending on outcome).
              It's nice how you act like there is no rivalry.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It's nice how you act like there is no rivalry.
                Which is mostly accurate. No way is this series as important as it was 20 years ago, when we at least played for conference standings. When the new WCHA is rolled out, that may change.

Comment

Well that was dissapointing.

Mel's postgame thoughts:
                  Didn't really get any bounces
                  Put ourselves in a hole, didn't like the second goal
                  We can't outscore our mistakes, until we see that we'll continue to be inconsistent
                  We fought back, tied the game, critical moment with what happens next and we took 2 penalties
                  Didn't capitalize on scoring chances
                  Good things on the PP tonight, for the most part PK did good
                  Not sure why we took so many penalties tonight
                  Unfortunate with a great crowd tonight, we couldn't get it going consistently
                  There's some good things we can take, the PP and got to play Genoe some
                  Mel is still concerned abotu defense and goals against
                  Mel's going to challenge Josh, can't give up that 2nd goal
                  Not surprised by Fillion, he's so smart, he struggled some tonight, he'll continue to get better

Comment

I'll post in here about the series this weekend. I refuse to post in that BS series thread.

It is disappointing to hear about the game last weekend. If the team wants to beat UMD they will need to play a complete and disciplined game. The last time I saw a game in Duluth, Tech was in the game, tied, I believe, half way through, then proceded to **** it away with stupid penalty after stupid penalty. I left that game disgusted with what I saw. Hopefully I don't see a repeat this weekend. Duluth is beatable, they are good, but that doesn't mean Tech can't beat them.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Notes from today's Mel Pearson show, I only included Tech topics, they also reviewed some overall WCHA standings and CCHA standings, Joe Paterno:

On Saturday's loss to NMU:
                      Tough loss, very disapointing, great crowd
                      We struggled from the get go, they got the two quick goals
                      The team came all the way back making it 2-2, we had a few good shifts and then the two penalties on the same shift
                      Being on PK so much takes players out of the game, they were bad penalties, haven't done that for awhile
                      Thought we had more depth than NMU, but didn't get to show that with so much PK/PP
                      Got a bit of a spark after Genoe was put it, Mel didn't like the 2nd goal, can't give that up, especially when goals are so hard to come by against good teams
                      Gave the team an article last week that had a quote from Mike Babcock - Can't outscore your mistakes
                      Good goal for D. Johnstone, had a sore wrist, wasn't sure he'd play, real big goal, gave us some life
                      On 2nd D. Johnstone goal - great play, that's how that PP should run
                      Got called for two penalties on same play - rarely see this, Boarding on Blake was marginal, good physical hit, Baker's hit, not a hard hit
                      They made a good play on 5x3, good we only gave up one goal
                      First **** of 3rd period, they score, gave up 2x1, one of our Dman went down, one of the Forwards should've held position, he didn't and they made us pay
                      We probably had better chances in 3rd period, but can not outscore your mistakes, we'll talk about that again today
                      Outshot them 10-5 in 3rd, won draws, good in faceoff circles, Chad Pietila had a couple chances, Gordic as well, need to finish
                      We had a lot of problems getting throug neutral zone, getting behind quickly affected how we played as well, discouraged us
                      We were a little off, not sure if uptight, big crowd, how we handle the success from last weekend
                      PK was good, dialed in, but still can't give NMU 8 PP in a game
                      19 saves by goaltender isn't going to cut it, need better goaltending to give us a chance for home ice

WCHA Standings:
                      Tech in 7th place, UND jumped over us - 18 pts to 17 pts, have 2 games in hand against most of league, need to take advantage of that
                      We've played well against some of the better teams, UMD will be a big challenge this weekend, good opportunity for WCHA points
                      Out goaltending has been solid all year, when your team has an off night, need goaltender to step up
                      4 points out of 4th place, very tight
                      We'll be ready to play in Duluth, our players get excited to play top teams
                      Need to play much better without the puck and get solid goaltending
                      Tech is tied for 7th, UW, UND, SCSU, Denver are middle ground teams, Mel threw UNO in there too, 5 points seperate middle teams
                      We're in the thick of it, Mel pointed out that the last 3 years combined we had 8 WCHA wins, we're at 8 right now, made some great strides
                      We're not holding back the last 12 games
                      Dirk feels tiebreakers will be big - we have DU, UW tiebreaker, plus games against SCSU
                      UNO is at home, SCSU is at home, all critical series, need to take care of business on the road, split on road, sweep at home

On UMD:
                      Had a real good series last time against UMD, tied in the 3rd period both games
                      We play well against good teams, looking forward to it
                      Dont' have one major area where D coverage is struggling, little things all over the ice to work on
                      Constantly thinking about lines/Dmen pairing, probably make some change, but don't want to over react, worked well against UAA
                      For the most part we are helthy, healthiest we've been all year. Tanner's shoulder is getting better, we'll be ready to go.

No questions today, as always they can be emailed to dj@themix93.com

Comment

Today is the third installment of Future Huskies where we have an in depth question and answer session with one of the committed recruits to get to know more about their decision to play for Michigan Tech and what they will bring to the Huskies. Today we have quotes from the MTU staff and spoke with BCHL Blogger, Ron Gallo. Jujhar Khaira is featured in today's installment. He is one of the leading scorers in the BCHL and will join the Huskies next season.
                        Future Huskies: Jujhar Khaira http://dlvr.it/170DJp #mtuhky

Comment

Today is the third installment of Future Huskies where we have an in depth question and answer session with one of the committed recruits to get to know more about their decision to play for Michigan Tech and what they will bring to the Huskies. Today we have quotes from the MTU staff and spoke with BCHL Blogger, Ron Gallo. Jujhar Khaira is featured in today's installment. He is one of the leading scorers in the BCHL and will join the Huskies next season.
                          Future Huskies: Jujhar Khaira http://dlvr.it/170DJp #mtuhky
                          Excellent features!
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I'll post in here about the series this weekend. I refuse to post in that BS series thread.

It is disappointing to hear about the game last weekend. If the team wants to beat UMD they will need to play a complete and disciplined game. The last time I saw a game in Duluth, Tech was in the game, tied, I believe, half way through, then proceded to **** it away with stupid penalty after stupid penalty. I left that game disgusted with what I saw. Hopefully I don't see a repeat this weekend. Duluth is beatable, they are good, but that doesn't mean Tech can't beat them.
                            The thread title stick in your craw or the hot dish discussion?

Agree with your assessment. Although one thing, the UMD power play has been struggling. So committing some penalties and giving a PP which operates at about 19% might not be the worst thing.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Excellent features!
                              Thanks, we try. I know I always wanted to know more about the guys coming in and why they chose Tech. Its like pulling teeth to get them to divulge who else they were talking to sometimes. Jujhar just avoided that part completely, although I think Michigan Tech was on him early thanks to former Spruce Kings coach Ed Dempsey (Husky Alum) and committing so young.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

The last two games I watched Tech play against Duluth they were tied going into the third period and then coughed it up late.

I have a really good feeling about this weekend.
                                Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                                *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Working...
                                X