Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...met-colosseum/
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

I started listening to The Mel Pearson Show 15 mins late this morning. Also, on Tech Athletics facebook page they posted that due to technical difficulties this morning's show will not be archived and I assume wont be replayed this afternoon.

I focused on Tech hockey related items, there was other discussion of World Juniors, shootouts, outdoor rinks and Wayne Gretzkey I didn't include below:

A lot of things have to happen before we can win, but need to come out winning
      Home ice is a real goal for this team

Scoring:
      Need to back to basics, get pucks/bodies to the net, emphasized that in practice last week
      Want guys to shoot to score

General scoring/Tech Hockey:
      Need to get Baker going and Jacob Johnstone, still sitting on 3 goals
      When you're not scoring, need to make sure you're doing other things
      What guys to be more hungry around the net to score
      McCadden, very valuable, healthy scratch lately, off to a rough start, not scoring, defensively wasn't playing as well as he could, Pat knows that and he'll get back in the lineup
      McCadden is a good PK player, a good PK player have to be smart, know what other team is doing and take it away, willing to block shots

Reddick:
      Intrigues Mel, he skates and can shoot. He needs to play with confidence, he might be able to have a breakout second half

Rix:
      Looks good, works hard and he scored in junior hockey, he can score more

Kero:
      Not 100%, hopefully by the weekend, shoulder is getting better/stronger.

Trivia for ticket giveaway:
      What former husky coach sits in 3rd place all time for scoring Dman? - Nahrgang - 104 points
      Ryan Furne and Pat McCadden both played for what USHL team? - GB Gamblers

The PP:
      Keep things the same, PP has been pretty good, small tweaks, but overall pleased with PP, top 20 in country, there are key moments in a game when we need a goal, can we do it?

This weekend:
      Very important series, want 2nd half to get off to a good start, need to take care of home ice, kind like starting over again

Blue line luncheon at noon on Friday, Perason will speak about where the huskies are at they head into the 2nd half of the WCHA

Send questions to dj@themix93.com

Comment

Jamie Phillips racked up a fifth shutout earlier this week, extending his league lead. Also allowed no goals on 15 shots in 27:48 of cleanup duty two nights later.

Comment

I would agree that this weekend is very important, but to extend that, the next 3 are crucial. Beating nmu would do wonders for the power and the position in the standings with a few wins, vs not, is very important this weekend.
          As far as the players, I have liked Reddick a lot and I hope he does have a breakout second half we could certainly use the scoring. I hope that chad picks up his game too and starts making plays which help that line be a force and make the other team adjust to them. I'd say too often at GLI we played the other teams game and not ours.
          Lets go Huskies.!
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Today begins a new series for Tech Hockey Guide. Future Huskies will have an in depth question and answer session with one of the committed recruits to get to know more about their decision to play for Michigan Tech and what they will bring to the Huskies. We'll try to get input from the MTU staff when allowed and talk to Junior or Midget coaches if we have to. Jake Kauppila is the featured in today's installment after I caught up with him during a recent Midget AAA showcase in Faribault, Minnesota.

Future Huskies: Jake Kauppila http://dlvr.it/14SlzL #mtuhky
            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Very nice write up, many thanks! Where were you sitting that Coach Mel could tap you on the shoulder?
              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                Very nice write up, many thanks! Where were you sitting that Coach Mel could tap you on the shoulder?
                I was not in attendance, that was Andy Bourdeau, sorry can't answer for him. Hope you enjoy today's article on Jake Kauppila.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I was not in attendance, that was Andy Bourdeau, sorry can't answer for him. Hope you enjoy today's article on Jake Kauppila.
                  It's excellent as well. I love the quote, "I’m just really excited to go to Michigan Tech, it’s gonna be a blast. I can’t wait." He is exactly the type of player we need.

One comment, the italic gray font on the quotes is hard for my 53 year old eyes to read. The yellow pops right out on my screen. Can you please use yellow, or another bright color, for the quotes?
                  "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                    I was glad to see Mel wandering around the rink and chatting with different people.
                    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Hope you enjoy today's article on Jake Kauppila.
                    SG, thanks for doing these stories, good interview here, all the work you're doing is much appreciated.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      I was glad to see Mel wandering around the rink and chatting with different people.

SG, thanks for doing these stories, good interview here, all the work you're doing is much appreciated.
                      The 2nd installment might not be out next week, but I'm hoping to start releasing one of these a week until I get everyone.

Comment

don't forget!

Blue Line Lunch - Friday, noon, 'old' Blue Line room across from University Images. Cost is $8.00 for members and $8.50 for non-members.

Hockey vs. UAA - Friday and Saturday 7:07pm

Friday is Military Appreciation Night and the student veterans will be in the skybox next to the Blue Line Club - we are going to open the door in between the two rooms for Friday night.

Saturday is Junior Hockey night and there will be a Skate with the Huskies after the game.

GO HUSKIES!!
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

(The next step will be to actually go in and surgically remove them from their keyboards):

Dear (Student Name),

Starting this weekend, Michigan Tech Hockey will offer free bus service for students to the MacInnes Student Ice Arena on hockey game nights. The MAC isn't the easiest place for you to get on cold, slippery winter days with the long hike up the hill. So for the rest of the season, the Huskies are providing some wheels!

Starting one hour before each game, bus service will run every 20 minutes with stops at Wadsworth Hall main parking lot, behind DHH (Cliff Drive side of DHH), and drop off at the Student Entrance at the SDC. The bus will run this cycle three times during the hour before each game.

Times are approximations based on weather and traffic:

January 13, 14 & 21; February 10, 24 & 25: 6-7 PM
                          February 11: 4-5 PM

Wadsworth Main Parking Lot :00, :20, :40
                          DHH Rear Lot :08, :28, :48
                          SDC Drop Offs :15, :35, :55

After you've tried it for a few games, please feel free to give us feedback at athleticmarketing@mtu.edu. Thanks for your great support of Huskies hockey this season, we can't wait to see you for the final 7 home games of the regular season starting this Friday and Saturday night at 7 PM at the MAC!

Mel Pearson
                          Head Coach
                          Michigan Tech Hockey
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            The MAC isn't the easiest place for you to get on cold, slippery winter days with the long hike up the hill.
                            It's good to remind students that the team still has home games left in the second half, and providing bus service is good, but is it necessary to exaggerate what amounts to pure laziness?

Comment

Jamie Phillips traded from Powell River Kings (BCHL) to Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL)

Comment

That is actually pretty pathetic. It is about a 200 yard walk from Wads to the SDC and people would take a bus?
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X