Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwagon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Part of the reason for starting THG was to push the athletic department to do better, so I'm hoping that had a bit to it. I do know the video coordinator has a good part to do with it.
    I've thought of something similar for NMU for years... Even thinking of helping CatHockey.com ... But I know all NMU would do is be glad they didn't have to pay anyone for something they should provide.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
      The odd thing is the athletic department retweeted my story on THG today... Not sure what to make of that.
      I'd say they are intrigued by the idea, and are willing to float it about a little bit just to see what kind of response it gets.

Good work planting the seeds.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2011-12 Season Thread, Part II: You're gonna need a bigger bandwago

I'm torn. I don't want to support anything to do with that Winter Classic that should be in Minnesota, but on the other hand, anything would be better than having to go to that dump that smells like a porta potty in August they call Joe Louis.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't know why they did it but it certainly is a breath of fresh air. I actually get information.

If Tech had won on thursday I would assume most of the alumni would go again on friday, so it's not a surprise after a loss. As far as the friday game yes but maybe all the tickets were sold to the msu crowd. certainly most of the seats were full by the time of the called back goal. Most people around me were michigan fans. Where I sat on thursday many of the Mtu people were with their wives. I'd be surprised if you could talk a wife into going to the outdoor game, but maybe.

Joe Louis is older and the wings last year did not extend the lease. We do need a new rink but I don't know what has been done since then. It's 300 million to build new and 200 to renovate JLA.I would expect a new building but when?
          Maybe it's who you sit by bb because it doesn't smell down by the ice.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            Joe Louis is older and the wings last year did not extend the lease. We do need a new rink but I don't know what has been done since then. It's 300 million to build new and 200 to renovate JLA.I would expect a new building but when?
            The place it is worst is the stairway down to the Olympia Club.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yeah, the smelly fire escape staircase to what is ordinarily supposed to be a club exclusive to suite holders is hilarious.

Some friends and I were talking about JLA the other day. Pittsburgh spent what, $320 million-ish on Consol? The Illitches should be able to finance their own version of the Ralph if they want, it's just a matter of how much they can shake the city down for first.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Yeah, the smelly fire escape staircase to what is ordinarily supposed to be a club exclusive to suite holders is hilarious.

Some friends and I were talking about JLA the other day. Pittsburgh spent what, $320 million-ish on Consol? The Illitches should be able to finance their own version of the Ralph if they want, it's just a matter of how much they can shake the city down for first.
                I don't think the people of Detroit will want to finance the ovens in the basement though. Especially the Jewish community.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

yeah, the city of Detroit will not be helping to fund anything. (although, the state found a surprise surplus yesterday... forget the low income home heating credit nonsense, we need a new ice rink!)
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    yeah, the city of Detroit will not be helping to fund anything. (although, the state found a surprise surplus yesterday... forget the low income home heating credit nonsense, we need a new ice rink!)
                    Well, I for one care more about hockey than I do poor people. (even if I hate the Red Wings with every fiber in my body)

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Even if you did all four games, the only scheduling conflict would be the actual Winter Classic game. Just move the dates for the games, or use JLA as the backup venue. Wasn't it Boston that hosted the Winter Classic, two mens college games, a womens college game, the NHL alumni skate, NHL practices, and family skates?

Holding even the Championship game or 3rd/Championship day would be easy.
                      The GLI is usually done sometime between the week of Christmas and New Years Eve. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to have a rink all set up and ready to go early enough that the GLI teams can get some practice on it, along with it being made NHL ready. The one real complaint I could see with it from the players and coaches is that they would have to play on 2 totally different surfaces within a day. That, and I kinda think they might like to just do the opening round of the GLI at the Big House just so they can set it up on that day that Michigan plays Michigan State in the opening round. Still, I could see them shooting to do both days at the Big House, with the Joe being a backup.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I don't know why they did it but it certainly is a breath of fresh air. I actually get information.

If Tech had won on thursday I would assume most of the alumni would go again on friday, so it's not a surprise after a loss. As far as the friday game yes but maybe all the tickets were sold to the msu crowd. certainly most of the seats were full by the time of the called back goal. Most people around me were michigan fans. Where I sat on thursday many of the Mtu people were with their wives. I'd be surprised if you could talk a wife into going to the outdoor game, but maybe.

The Joe does need to be replaced. The worst part about the Joe is that there's nothing around the Joe to do after the game. Putting it closer to the other stadiums would put it near a lot of local bars and clubs, giving people more options of stuff to do after the game other than to leave the JLA parking garage right after the game.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        The GLI is usually done sometime between the week of Christmas and New Years Eve. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to have a rink all set up and ready to go early enough that the GLI teams can get some practice on it, along with it being made NHL ready. The one real complaint I could see with it from the players and coaches is that they would have to play on 2 totally different surfaces within a day. That, and I kinda think they might like to just do the opening round of the GLI at the Big House just so they can set it up on that day that Michigan plays Michigan State in the opening round. Still, I could see them shooting to do both days at the Big House, with the Joe being a backup.

The Joe does need to be replaced. The worst part about the Joe is that there's nothing around the Joe to do after the game. Putting it closer to the other stadiums would put it near a lot of local bars and clubs, giving people more options of stuff to do after the game other than to leave the JLA parking garage right after the game.
                        It isn't known whether the classic will be at Comerica or the Big House. The Red Wings probably would prefer Comerica since it would put more money in Olympia Entertainment's pocket.
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I think I saw an article not that long ago that had said the Wings wanted the game at the Big House, and the league wanted it at Co-America.

Comment

Hey BPH, when you get a chance, you might want to remove a couple of the tags added to our thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              I think I saw an article not that long ago that had said the Wings wanted the game at the Big House, and the league wanted it at Co-America.
                              I would think that from the leagues prospective, it would make more sense to have the this game at Comerica than at the Big House. If the Winter Classic was held in Ann Arbor, it would stand a good shot at setting an attendance record for the WC. I would think that the league would like to keep things to where they can sell out most baseball stadiums, and perhaps set a new attendance record every year, even if it's maybe only another 50 people or so. Plus, if they do want to keep the Joe as a backup for the GLI, it would be a lot easier there than busing guys out to Ann Arbor and back.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Brent made me delete this post. Because he's a jerk like that.
                                Last edited by bigblue_dl; 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X