Denver Cup - Thanksgiving Weekend - Denver, Princeton, Miami and Providence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Cup - Thanksgiving Weekend - Denver, Princeton, Miami and Providence

The Denver Cup will be played this Friday and Saturday at Magness Arena on the DU campus. The opening game on Friday afternoon will be Miami and Providence followed by Denver and Princeton in the evening. On Saturday afternoon Providence and Princeton will face each other and the final game will be Denver and Miami that evening. The Denver/Princeton game on Friday will be televised on Root Sports and the Denver/Miami game on Saturday will be webcast on Pioneer Vision for a fee. Looks like DU will be without goalie Adam Murray and d-man John Ryder who were both hurt last weekend against UNO. DU will have Juho Olkinuora in goal with Zack Hope backing him up. Will be interesting to see if Gwoz stays with 7 d and 11 forwards which would mean d-man Wade Bennett would get to make his collegiate debut. These two games have significant pairwise meaning for DU as they are the only two games they will be playing against the CCHA and ECAC.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Denver Cup - Thanksgiving Weekend - Denver, Princeton, Miami and Providence

Just looked up the records of the four teams.
    Denver 5-3-3 Home 4-1-2 Away 1-2-1
    Miami 6-6-2 Home 3-3-2 Away 3-3-0
    Princeton 2-6-1 Home1-2-0 Away 1-3-0 Neutral 0-1-0 Don't know where the tie was
    Providence 6-4-1 Home 6-2-1 Away 0-2-0

DU and Providence have the same winning percentage .591
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Anyone close to the situation out there who can tell me whether tickets are/will be available.
      May fly out there for a few days and catch these games
      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

You'll have no problem getting a seat. Many of the season ticket holders will be out of town and the students start winter break tomorrow. I doubt they'll be more than about 400-500 watching the afternoon games.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

I always loved going to the afternoon games. It is nice seeing two teams I have no ties to play at a neutral site. Since my kids are 3 yo and 8 months, I have not been able to attend the afternoon games these last few years, and might not be able to for a few years to come. I am glad they changed it to Thanksgiving though, makes it easier than the post-Christmas of years past.

Comment

Per Gwoz in his press conference today, Murray and Ryder are both out this weekend. Sounds like he will be going with 6 D and 12 forwards this weekend. Beau will be 100% after taking a hard hit in practice last Thursday. Real happy with Shawn Ostrow's line last weekend. Looking forward to facing two former coaches of his.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              Princeton 2-6-1 Home1-2-0 Away 1-3-0 Neutral 0-1-0 Don't know where the tie was
              Neutral: 0-1-1. They tied Yale in the Ivy Shootout at Dartmouth before losing to Brown.
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Sorry for the foggy recollection, but didn't Princeton score some really big blue chip recruit this year?
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  Sorry for the foggy recollection, but didn't Princeton score some really big blue chip recruit this year?
                  I think it was Zach Hyman, who ended up in Ann Arbor.

Comment

Should have a hundred or so Miami fans for the Friday game and double I'd think on Saturday. MU Alumni Association in Colorado is pretty big. Unbeaten in their last 6, this weekend starts a stretch of 9 of 10 away from Steve Cady Arena. Both games should be good tests for Miami. If Connor Knapp is healthy, I'd assume, he'll play Saturday. If not, it will be Cody Reichard in net for both games. Should be fun and what's awesome, is this is just the beginning of Miami regularly coming to Colorado! Yes!
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I kind of miss the old playoff format; You never knew who'd be playing who on the second day.....and you had a certain sense of intensity with the 1st day, to get a higher seed. But, this format now I guess has some stability to it. Good times. It's always great to see Enrico and George square off against one another. 2 games for the price of one..... it's a great weekend if you love hockey!
                      I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                        I kind of miss the old playoff format; You never knew who'd be playing who on the second day.....and you had a certain sense of intensity with the 1st day, to get a higher seed. But, this format now I guess has some stability to it. Good times. It's always great to see Enrico and George square off against one another. 2 games for the price of one..... it's a great weekend if you love hockey!
                        I agree. A true "weekend winner" would be nice, but this guarantees the marquee opponent plays Denver helping both teams in the PWR. Plus, it's nice knowing Miami will get a game vs. the Pios after such a long haul. But, for teams like Providence and Princeton, that's a long way to travel to play each other when the two school are actually only about 5 hours apart!

Comment

Miami won the last DU-Miami matchup in the NCAA regionals. The Gwoz remembers.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Miami won the last DU-Miami matchup in the NCAA regionals. The Gwoz remembers.
                            And the matchup before that in Oxford in 2006. The Gwoz abides.

Comment

So...Rico and tGwoz thrown down at center ice to determine the winner? I'm game.

Comment

Working...
                              X