Ohio State @ Syracuse 11/18 - 11/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Syracuse 11/18 - 11/19

I am not sure what to expect in this one. The only common opponent is St. Cloud. Syracuse defeated St. Cloud 2-1 early in the season and Ohio State swept St. Cloud last month by identical scores of 5-1 in Columbus. Last season the Buckeyes swept Syracuse in Columbus by scores of 5-1 and 6-2. This year's contests are at Syracuse and I am sure they will want to make a better showing. Syracuse is currently 6-7 (maybe 5-7 if the game against McGill was just an exhibition game). Ohio State enters this weekend's contests at 5-4-1 (5-4-1 WCHA) and currently sets in third place in the WCHA with 17 points behind 2nd place Wisconsin and 1st place Minnesota. Should be interesting this weekend. I would like to see the Buckeyes get a sweep, but it's tough to sweep a decent team on the road. I would be interested in hearing from some Syracuse fans regarding what you're expecting this weekend.

Re: Ohio State @ Syracuse 11/18 - 11/19

Well, I'm hoping and assuming that the players expect to sweep.

For my part, I believe they have the firepower to do so. Yes, winning on the road is tougher. But I would point to the road series at Mankato as perhaps the most similar to the upcoming games.

Hello Syracuse! Anybody out there? If so, do weigh in.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Hello Syracuse! Anybody out there? If so, do weigh in.
      I'm definitely not Orange, didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I did see Syracuse play SCSU and UM this year, so take this for what it is worth. I'd say that Syracuse and tOSU are pretty even defensively, and I might even give the Orange a slight edge. But the Buckeyes are the much more dangerous team offensively. Syracuse doesn't have Spooner or McIntosh caliber players up front and they're pretty young. Overall, I'd slot them about halfway between you and St. Cloud. If they were playing Mankato, I'd expect a split. The Buckeyes have performed better defensively since the debacle in Grand Forks, and if they can keep that up, a sweep is possible.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

That's pretty much my perception as well. Appreciate the eyewitness evidence in support of the shared viewpoint.

Comment

Hey, finally, some chatter on here! Thank you, Pgb and ARM for the input. I don't normally go into a road series expecting a sweep, but really, if we play like we have been playing so far (aside from North Dakota series, which I believe was an aberration), we really should get a sweep. Spooner always seems to be in beastmode (did I just use that word?) after returning from international competitions. I read that she scored two goals for Canada in the gold medal game.

Comment

I would also add that anyone who has seen us play this season can tell you that this is a different OSU women's hockey team than what has been seen previously. We skate faster, we get after the puck, and the passing is crisper. I have been thrilled with the job Nate Handrahan and his staff have done with our kids. Can't wait to see them next weekend when they come back home for a big series against UMD over Thanksgiving weekend. We need to do what we can to stay in the top four in the WCHA. That's a tall task, but I really believe this group can do it.

Comment

Buckeyes leading Syracuse 3-2 about halfway through the final period. Hopefully we can add an insurance goal or two.

Comment

And just like that, Ohio State adds another goal. 4-2 Buckeyes with 12:03 left in the third period.

Comment

Dang, I cannot keep up with our scoring. 5-2 with 10:38 to go in the game. Five different players have scored for Ohio State ... Natalie Spooner, Madison Marcotte, Minttu Tuominen, Danielle Gagne, and Sara Schmitt. Ally Tarr has an assist, as does Taylor Kuehl and Hokey Langan. Natalie Spooner and Laura McIntosh each have two assists. Nice team performance by our kids so far with 5:56 left in the game.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 11-18-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Danielle Gagne buries her second goal of the night to make it 6-2 Buckeyes with less than five minutes to go in the game. Taylor Kuehl got her second assist of the night. Gotta love Live Stats for these road games!

Comment

It's a final ... Ohio State over Syracuse 6-3. Nice job, ladies! Let's do this again tomorrow!

Comment

I don't have the box score in front of me, but Ohio State defeated Syracuse earlier today 4-3 to complete the sweep. Goals were scored by Laura McIntosh (2), Hokey Langan, and Ally Tarr. Nice job, Buckeyes!

Comment

Gotta love a road sweep! Congrats, Buckeyes.

Comment

OSU, congrats on the sweep vs Niagara's rivals. The Purple Eagles don't play another game until their trek west to Columbus for games on December 2 and 3rd. Good luck to the Purple Eagles.... We're going to need it!

Niagara beat a road weary St Cloud this past Friday 5-1, but SC was much better on Saturday and played Niagara to a 2-2 tie.

Comment

Cannot wait to see what Niagara brings to the table in a couple weeks! I know your program has had some great players in recent years as I have watched some of them play in the CWHL. Should be an interesting series. Hope some of you can make the trip down for that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X