Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    Shots on goal are the most over rated stat in hockey. A team can give up 40 shots on goal and still be in control of the game if they keep everything to the outside. I have watched almost all the Gopher games this season, unlike Euro who just likes to get Gopher fans going...... Patterson bails the defense out a lot and has looked great. The Huskies will get plenty of quality shots on Patterson this weekend. Should be a good weekend of hockey.
    I disagree. To have 40 SOG means you have to control the puck quite a bit. If you give up that kind of control of the puck you are not likely in control of the game. Sure you may be doing okay on the scoreboard due to a lucky break here or there but you will likely have a goalie playing out of his mind and are hanging on for dear life

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      I will give you a cracker.
      Leave Brent outta this
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I have watched almost all the Gopher games this season, unlike Euro who just likes to get Gopher fans going......
        Lies! I like to get EVERYONE'S fans going
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          I disagree. To have 40 SOG means you have to control the puck quite a bit. If you give up that kind of control of the puck you are not likely in control of the game. Sure you may be doing okay on the scoreboard due to a lucky break here or there but you will likely have a goalie playing out of his mind and are hanging on for dear life
          Or you like to take 5 Min majors nearly every game(Ahem...Huskies) and watch your PK try to improve their kill percentage.

Comment

Shots on goal are the most over rated stat in hockey. A team can give up 40 shots on goal and still be in control of the game if they keep everything to the outside. I have watched almost all the Gopher games this season, unlike Euro who just likes to get Gopher fans going...... Patterson bails the defense out a lot and has looked great. The Huskies will get plenty of quality shots on Patterson this weekend. Should be a good weekend of hockey.
            SOG are overrated as a stat really only when the focus is as you stated in the second sentence. As if getting a lot of shots equates to some dominant performance.

However, allowing a lower shot total is hardly overrated because that is telling you the other team is likely not seeing as many opportunities.

A goalie can't make the other team get less shots (his defenders can) and he certainly can't cover all angles during the other team's power play attempts (but his teammates can certainly help shut those chances down). When you give up a low number of shots and kill off almost 90% of the other team's power play chances, it is pretty simpleton logic to say a team plays "so-so" defense.

As I said, they aren't flawless either. But they are better than you give them credit for. The numbers and the performances have clearly shown that
            Last edited by Hammy; 11-17-2011, 02:53 PM.
            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              So what comparison are we allowed to make then?
              You can make any comparison you want. But realize that one is a poor example if you are going to.
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                So what comparison are we allowed to make then?
                UNH started off very slow but they are unbeaten since they played us.
                From stuff I've seen here, we aren't going to get shots on MN and even if we do, we won't beat Patterson.
                Not that it matters though, we can't stop the Gopher offense anyway.
                Should SCSU even show up?
                At least now we have a solid goaltender.
                Bob is making me concerned
                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Courtesy of GPL:

Funny stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                    SOG are overrated as a stat really only when the focus is as you stated in the second sentence. As if getting a lot of shots equates to some dominant performance.

However, allowing a lower shot total is hardly overrated because that is telling you the other team is likely not seeing as many opportunities.

A goalie can't make the other team get less shots (his defenders can) and he certainly can't cover all angles during the other team's power play attempts (but his teammates can certainly help shut those chances down). When you give up a low number of shots and kill off almost 90% of the other team's power play chances, it is pretty simpleton logic to say a team plays "so-so" defense.

As I said, they aren't flawless either. But they are better than you give them credit for. The numbers and the performances have clearly shown that
                    I can think of four games off the top of my head the Gophers defense did not look that good. UMD2, Wisconsin friday and the sunday non-conference game(can't remember name of cupcake). Out of something like 12 games? So 33% of the time they haven't looked good. you are right as usual they have played great.

Don't get me wrong they look way better than last year and the offense and Patterson are more than making up for it. I think the Gophers are for real and will finish top three this year. I think like usual you are looking at things with maroon and gold shaded glasses.
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Uh, can you show us where he said "they have played great"?
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        I can think of four games off the top of my head the Gophers defense did not look that good. UMD2, Wisconsin friday and the sunday non-conference game(can't remember name of cupcake). Out of something like 12 games? So 33% of the time they haven't looked good. you are right as usual they have played great.

Don't get me wrong they look way better than last year and the offense and Patterson are more than making up for it. I think the Gophers are for real and will finish top three this year. I think like usual you are looking at things with maroon and gold shaded glasses.
                        The only game you mentioned where I think the Gopher's defense played horribly the whole game was last week against Wisconsin. UMD is a good team, and should be credited with creating some of their opportunities, but the Gophers did have some defensive breakdowns. That series was early in the year though, and the breakdowns have come fewer and farther between.

And they did have some breakdowns against Vermont, but they also made some roster changes for that game to get a look at some guys, and took a number of stupid penalties that really killed their momentum.

Their defensemen are young, and are still going to make the occasional mistakes, but they are playing much better than I anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          The only game you mentioned where I think the Gopher's defense played horribly the whole game was last week against Wisconsin. UMD is a good team, and should be credited with creating some of their opportunities, but the Gophers did have some defensive breakdowns. That series was early in the year though, and the breakdowns have come fewer and farther between.

And they did have some breakdowns against Vermont, but they also made some roster changes for that game to get a look at some guys, and took a number of stupid penalties that really killed their momentum.

Their defensemen are young, and are still going to make the occasional mistakes, but they are playing much better than I anticipated.
                          Plus, as was discussed by Gopher fans following the tUMD series, a lot of tUMD's shots were not from great goal scoring areas. tDogs were throwing a lot of pucks on net in that series and that is a bit deceiving when looking at the SOG from that series.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Plus, as was discussed by Gopher fans following the tUMD series, a lot of tUMD's shots were not from great goal scoring areas. tDogs were throwing a lot of pucks on net in that series and that is a bit deceiving when looking at the SOG from that series.
                            Yep. Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              Courtesy of GPL:

Funny stuff....

I went to see my resident adviser regarding this policy and she could not answer a single one of my questions. I showed her that my semen had the same coagulating properties as the leading brands of conditioner. Besides, it was unfair to the ugly kids. No where on there does it say you could not have sex in the shower.

This policy is not an example of excellence, it infringes upon my morning tradition, and limits my opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                                I went to see my resident adviser regarding this policy and she could not answer a single one of my questions. I showed her that my semen had the same coagulating properties as the leading brands of conditioner. Besides, it was unfair to the ugly kids. No where on there does it say you could not have sex in the shower.

This policy is not an example of excellence, it infringes upon my morning tradition, and limits my opportunity.
                                LOL! Hilarious. I just thought the up-front nature of the message was humorous. They didn't beat around the bush

Comment

Working...
                                X