Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    BTW, enjoy that chip on your shoulder. I hope it isn't a life-threatening infection. Then again if it is, nobody will miss you should it prove to be terminal.
    I'd say you should have that hideous growth on your neck checked out...but that's your head. Ain't no fixing that.
    Last edited by Dude Love; 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

And the camera jockey chimes in. Now it's a party!

Stop hanging banners, and we'll stop the hanging banner jokes. Quite simple.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
        I'd say you should have that hideous growth on your neck checked out...but that's your head. Ain't no fixing that.
        You should really quit looking in the mirror while you post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          People are welcome to disagree with arguments. Disagreeing with facts on the other hand DOES make them/you stupid and worthy of zero respect (ah, there's that word again).

Given how touchy you are about it, my guess is it didn't lead you into the land of prosperity like my major did.

And if you truly are a student of science, you should have the good sense to recognize evidence and adjust your assumptions and hypothesis accordingly. Direct observation indicates MN is playing better this year than they have in any season going back to '06-'07. There are several factors behind this resurgence, and they have been identified for you by those of us who have studied (i.e. watched) the team play. Your continued refusal to accept the evidence reminds me a great deal of the climate change deniers who will continue ignoring every study and cherry pick every bit of data they can to drag their feet and obfuscate. What this tells me is you are a poor scientist.

DX, are you saying one of us is baking soda and the other is vinegar?
          I recognize they are playing better, what I'm saying is so what.
          You guys have said for years that March and April are all that matter so why should we be impressed by a 10-2 start?
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

I haven't see a banner raised there in years. There's two. The Final Five Championship banner and the NCAA Appearance banner. They're not hanging new ones for each appearance...thus no multiple banner raisings.

Sick burn.
            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
              Guentzel likely plays a role, but I don't think it's near the level many of you are claiming. Lucia being fully healthy....sure that plays into it a little bit, but again, not as much as people are saying. Seems like more people want to give credit to the coaching changes/staff than the kids themselves. Lucia's systems are still there, his oversight never left but the players are executing. Confidence goes a hell of a long ways. Having Sacred Heart to start the year probably did more than most think. Patterson was there last year but he's playing at a higher level now, especially after starting the year with two shutouts his confidence skyrocketed. The PP clicked right away playing a much less talented team, but it helps build confidence that the things they work on in practice will actually work in a game. So much of it is a mindset (and yes, the coaches play a role in that.)

One reason it could take a turn for the worse, yeah, the schedule is part of it (especially in Jan/Feb.) At UND, CC at home, H&H w/ SCSU, @Denver. That's a rough stretch. I'll fully admit at this point the series with us is probably the "easiest" in that group. Injuries, chemistry issues, etc can happen and right now in this first 12 game stretch it's been going the gophers way. Personally, I plan on seeing all of that start to change sometime around 7:37PM Friday night.
              I agree with a lot of this. People seem to always want a quick, easy answer to most things, and don't want to take the time to delve into things. Guentzel is clearly a great assistant coach. But he didn't take a last place CC team and put them in first the following year. Lucia did. And there are all kinds of intangibles that determine how a season goes for any given team. Every player that didn't seem to reach his potential in the past three years wasn't purely the fault of Hill. Every team has players who at the end of each year, look like they are ready to improve, but never do. (Remember Tallackson or multiple other "sure stars"?) Some year's teams will have more than others, even with the same coaches in place. Add injuries and varying personalities, early departures and the fact you are recruiting based on how good you think a 16 year old will be in 3 year's, and you can see it isn't one assistant who has all the power to determine how a team will play. If it were, polls, poles pohl's wouldn't be meaningless, including preseason polls. Things are too dynamic through the year to even predict how team will finish at the end of a year. A better coaching staff improves the odds things will go will, but it all about momentum and the psychological make-up of the players that makes hockey so unpredictable and such a great game.

So I agree, I am very happy to see Geuntzel replace Hill, but let's not get carried away in anointing him Saint Mike yet.

Comment

Lucia is finally pretty much back to normal now. He hasn't been since he first became ill in the middle of the '08-'09 season. Yes, his illness helped screw up 3 seasons. By media accounts, he was very difficult to deal with, had violent mood swings, didn't have much energy, and was often away from practices due to treatments and their side effects. There was much argument over the past year or so among Gopher fans as to whether or not he should have (in hindsight) taken a medical leave of absence. Since that would have meant Hill coaching the team, I can't imagine things would have gone much better.
                Good to know the U of M players can focus on hockey now that their nanny has come back to change their diapers.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  I recognize they are playing better, what I'm saying is so what.
                  And what we are saying is this isn't likely to be a replay of 2008-09 and have provided plenty of reasons backing that up. The vast majority of MN teams that started well were also a factor down the stretch - unlike your teams, which is why that line of logic is used. Maybe if you paid attention for more than two minutes, you'd have realized that by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

What banners?
                    There are two up there, a Final Five one and an NCAA appearence one.
                    A third if you count Hedican's retired number.
                    It's not the fans fault the school chooses to put up the appearence banner.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Guentzel is a breath (or re-breath) of fresh air. tDon is healthy. The new recruits aren't being "encouraged," they're being TOLD. And being held accountable.

Hill leaving, which makes the D better (I don't care WHO the coach is), helps open up the offense, which the "old" Gophers were known for. Domino effect.

So on one hand, Guentzel should be hailed, even though he isn't the sole factor of the team doing well. He just started the ball rolling, IMO.

And JBSU fans suck. I can't keep this totally about breakdown. It's only Tuesday!
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Ooh, the "I know you are, but what am I" comeback. I bet you do make a boatload of money with that supercomputer in between your ears.
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Guentzel is a breath (or re-breath) of fresh air.
                          Think of it as a second wind.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                            And what we are saying is this isn't likely to be a replay of 2008-09 and have provided plenty of reasons backing that up. The vast majority of MN teams that started well were also a factor down the stretch - unlike your teams, which is why that line of logic is used. Maybe if you paid attention for more than two minutes, you'd have realized that by now.
                            Previous Minnesota teams that have started well have been a factor so this one is likely to as well?
                            That's your logic?
                            Ok then.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              Previous Minnesota teams that have started well have been a factor so this one is likely to as well?
                              That's your logic?
                              Ok then.
                              You don't have to limit it to MN teams. Teams that start well are more prone to have better success later in the season. Unless you are JBSU. They are the proverbial exception to the rule.

It's science.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Ooh, the "I know you are, but what am I" comeback. I bet you do make a boatload of money with that supercomputer in between your ears.
                                Camera jockey is D-material, so he only warrants D-material.

Part of being successful is knowing when to give a full effort and when to dial it back a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X