Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

It will be interesting to see if this is a series where the big guns steal the show, or we see goals from less likely sources. Bjustad, Rau, Haula are obviously dangerous. The Huskies young D will be tested by the Gopher's depth well beyond that. Condon is a work horse, Buddish is a big body that can create chaos in front of our net. Schmidt is having a break out year on the score sheet. No doubt, this is the most well rounded Gophers crew the WCHA has seen in 5+ years.

For SCSU, we have seen a fair amount of points coming from the young D group (We are not used to that at all). Festler has averaged over a point per game vs the Gophers in his career. Hanowski has had something click for him this year and is on the brink of becoming a special player at the college level. Thorson who had been pegged as a 4th line grinder suddenly is an offensive threat. Eddy, Dowd, & Reid all have shown they can catch fire in games. We have not seen a lot of scoring from our Freshmen Forwards which needs to change quickly.

UM has a large edge coming in with special teams play. Gophers are converting around 26% with SCSU at 18%. Both teams PP units appear to have gone south over the last couple weeks (especially the Huskies). Gophers have a huge edge on the PK, shutting down 89% vs SCSU's 78%.

If I'm an agitator type player on SCSU's roster, I would be hitting and giving some sweet talk to Ambroz every shift. Guy has shown very little discipline and seems like a loose cannon.

On the flip side, SCSU will try to go 2 games without earning a 5 min major. A good goal to shoot for. With the Gophers PP, I'd highly suggest we achieve that goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      So motox's 4 yo is a BADger fan?
      I still can't believe someone had the stones to threaten to kick us out for yelling Sucks! With all the language I heard around me
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Should be an entertaining series, Jan usually plays an up and down the rink kind of game which will be a nice change after watching last weekends trap-fest.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
          There is nothing on stubhub for Friday so I don't know what kind of luck you will have finding tickets. I would maybe try craigslist or something but it is going to be a struggle at this point.
          Call the SCSU ticket office you can get tickets.
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            Call the SCSU ticket office you can get tickets.
            Thanks Tommy, I have the night free and been wanting to check out the arena..

Comment

• Originally posted by mariucci View Post
              Are you sure they'll even let a hooligan like you in the arena?

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
                Easy now, I'm just having a little fun. Actually most people I know that are gopher fans are not arrogant. That comment comes from years and years of reading posts on this site, with most of it going back to around 10+ yrs ago when I regularly posted here. I haven't been on this site very much the last few years but figured it would be fun to go back and forth a little with gopher fans this week. To be honest, my arrogant comment wasn't even directed specifically at you and is mostly a running joke, but things aren't really that funny unless true, right?

The problem with your "Guenztel changed everything" theory is that there are way more variables in play here. Could it be that one coach can have THAT much of an effect on an entire program? Maybe, but I don't think it's very likely. As another gopher fan pointed out, "tTurnAround" is due to a combination of many factors. Btw, I did see a few tickets for the game in SC on CL last week. If you make it up I'd even buy you a beer if I get up there early enough, but I am bringing my 4 yr old son so that might make it a little more difficult.
                Fair enough, I do however believe Guentzel returning is the main reason of the Gophs current level of play but I do agree its not everything.

~xheers for the invite.. I'll let ya know on here, feels like Friday already, by the time Friday gets here it will feel like the season is over...

Comment

• Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                  Bring your Copenhagen, Arctic coat and a hardhat for your safety
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Subscribed because I wanted to drive a bus so I went to State.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      Then you have SCSU, who went DI in 1989.
                      That's still up for debate. Although they are, "BETTER THAN ADVERTISED!!!".

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      I think the Gophers turn around can be attributed to a number of different factors:

- Mike Guentzel's return (not just on defense, but special teams and player buy-in. He exemplifies "Pride on Ice")
                      - Don Lucia being healthy and engaged
                      - Great Sophmore and Freshman recruiting classes and Hansen turning the corner
                      - Good on ice leadership
                      - Good team chemistry and players who are committed to the program and don't have a foot out the door already (Bjugstad and Haula being examples of the former and Schroeder and Okposo examples of the latter).
                      According to fans such as Dippsy and Rababy that have the attention span of a turnip, with this comment clearly you've already annointed them NCAA champion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

According to fans such as Dippsy and Rababy that have the attention span of a turnip, with this comment clearly you've already annointed them NCAA champion.
                        Sweet username. Are you one of those corncobs that wears a Chiefs jersey to hockey games?
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Not really, but hey maybe one day you'll learn to pay attention when adults start talking.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            Good stratetgy, take multiple shots at someone's intelligence, real good way to make them care about your argument.
                            What I stated is fact. It is well-documented, too. If you choose not to care, that makes you willfully ignorant, which is another way of saying you're being intentionally obtuse - in other words, a ****ing idiot.
                            So Lucia is healthy, was he not last year?
                            The year before?
                            Did his illness really help screw up 3 years worth of Gopher teams?
                            Lucia is finally pretty much back to normal now. He hasn't been since he first became ill in the middle of the '08-'09 season. Yes, his illness helped screw up 3 seasons. By media accounts, he was very difficult to deal with, had violent mood swings, didn't have much energy, and was often away from practices due to treatments and their side effects. There was much argument over the past year or so among Gopher fans as to whether or not he should have (in hindsight) taken a medical leave of absence. Since that would have meant Hill coaching the team, I can't imagine things would have gone much better.
                            Does one assistant really mean that much?
                            Yes. Assuming you aren't totally blind in addition to being an idiot, you will notice MN plays markedly different in its own end from how it did so in years past. They actually put bodies on people and move them out of the way for a change. That did not happen very often if at all under Hill.
                            A lot of coaching staffs have tournament experience, even ours.
                            Not many of them have multiple frozen fours and national titles.
                            Fact still remains the same, this team hasn't won squat.
                            You keep repeating this incessant mantra as if it's supposed to mean something. It's mid November. What the **** else can the team do than what it has done thus far? They're 7-1 in the WCHA despite playing six of those games on the road. If that is not indicative of a vastly improved team that appears to be a contender, what is? Obviously, things can go wrong (injuries), but as of this moment, there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Of course, one of you idiots will probably take this to mean I think they'll win it all, because after all, some of you never fully learned the art of reading comprehension.
                            Why don't you call me stupid some more?
                            Ok. You're stupid - really stupid. You're squarely in the realm of "what college would have admissions standards low enough to take that piece of ****?" stupid. Then I remembered that Jan will take anyone with a pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              What I stated is fact. It is well-documented, too. If you choose not to care, that makes you willfully ignorant, which is another way of saying you're being intentionally obtuse - in other words, a ****ing idiot.

Lucia is finally pretty much back to normal now. He hasn't been since he first became ill in the middle of the '08-'09 season. Yes, his illness helped screw up 3 seasons. By media accounts, he was very difficult to deal with, had violent mood swings, didn't have much energy, and was often away from practices due to treatments and their side effects. There was much argument over the past year or so among Gopher fans as to whether or not he should have (in hindsight) taken a medical leave of absence. Since that would have meant Hill coaching the team, I can't imagine things would have gone much better.

Yes. Assuming you aren't totally blind in addition to being an idiot, you will notice MN plays markedly different in its own end from how it did so in years past. They actually put bodies on people and move them out of the way for a change. That did not happen very often if at all under Hill.

Not many of them have multiple frozen fours and national titles.

You keep repeating this incessant mantra as if it's supposed to mean something. It's mid November. What the **** else can the team do than what it has done thus far? They're 7-1 in the WCHA despite playing six of those games on the road. If that is not indicative of a vastly improved team that appears to be a contender, what is? Obviously, things can go wrong (injuries), but as of this moment, there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Of course, one of you idiots will probably take this to mean I think they'll win it all, because after all, some of you never fully learned the art of reading comprehension.

Ok. You're stupid - really stupid. You're squarely in the realm of "what college would have admissions standards low enough to take that piece of ****?" stupid. Then I remembered that Jan will take anyone with a pulse.
                              Oh snap.

*****http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/44103/Bslapped.jpg******
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Nice try again Bakunin.
                                I actually got in and went to Minnesota, didn't get in to St. Cloud.
                                Any other shots you care to take to make yourself look like a bitter dip****?

As for the rest of your little diatribe there, bully for your team.
                                Yes Lucia should have taken a leave of absense.
                                Good for Guentzel, one has to wonder why he hasn't been a head coach in college if he's so good.
                                Optimsim is one thing, being a complete ***** about it is something else.
                                Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X