Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Okay, so let's say the impossible happens and the Huskies sweep and score 8-9 goals in the process. Then what? Do the Gopher faithful start worrying?
    No, it would never happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
      ...but it would constitute a parade and a hung banner for Jan.
      Keep telling yourself that.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Okay, so let's say the impossible happens and the Huskies sweep and score 8-9 goals in the process. Then what? Do the Gopher faithful start worrying?
        You said it yourself, it's impossible so we don't even have to talk about it.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          No, it would never happen.
          I seem to remember SCSU sweeping MN in a home and home and scoring ten on the weekend, but then again the Gophers weren't the #1 team in the nation going into the series... they were no. 2.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
            I like Guentzel.

I like Guentzel A LOT.

Still, I find it curious that no one has ever considered him as head coach.
            If the rumors I've heard are true, that will change in the not-so-distant future.
            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-15-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
              I am not Bakunin. I never said you were stupid. I am just surprised that you seemingly know so much about a program that I am sure you loathe. I agree with you on the last point; Lucia should NOT have been coaching at all, and I think quite a few Gopher fans here would agree with that (I could be wrong). As for 12 games constituting a turnaround, it is certainly early, but it is clear to most people (including opposing fans) who have watched the Gophers this year that they are a different team than previous years. IMO, it includes the year they started out 7-0-4.

So then, I ask you this, do you think the Gophers are going to continue playing this well? Or are they going to fade? If they are going to continue playing well, what is the reasoning? If they are going to fade, what is the reasoning?
              You do realize for her to answer that she would actually have to know something about hockey?
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                Except we started playing Hockey in 1895, the first recorded Gopher game was against the Winnipeg Victorias, we had the M before the ugly helmets sorry.
                Ohh that's cute...too bad it's not just restricted to hockey when talking about school logos. Michigan has been playing Football since 1879 and has had the "M" in play since. Do your home work.

Comment

• Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                  You do realize for her to answer that she would actually have to know something about hockey?
                  Yawn.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                    I like Guentzel.

I like Guentzel A LOT.

Still, I find it curious that no one has ever considered him as head coach timber and the guy cannot hold a job as an assistant.

There's more at play here than just Guentzel for the resurgance of the hockey team.

Mainly talent.
                    Definately more, but coincedence and talent goes only so far in my book... The talent has been there during the past few down seasons but the play has been horrendous, no hustle, zero defense and individual talent in the forwards...

Guentzel goes to UNO with Blais and in a single season puts them on the map and heck, they had a legit shot at a conference banner in that 1 season... When he left the Gophs immediately the team blew chunks all over themselves and the M, upon his return the club is playing at a level I haven't seen since he departed...

I hope when The Don retires Guentzel takes over, and he should, he's definately earned it imo

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                      Thank you for the response. Patterson is certainly playing a big part, but he was here last year too. We definitely got some fantastic frosh, but few would argue that our lack of blue chip recruits has been a problem the past few seasons. Who has instilled this whole "team" thing in them? Since when the hell did we start backchecking and playing physical? IMO, a large part of that has to do with Guentzel coming in, and Lucia being fully healthy.

So what do you think will make the Gophers unable to keep up their current pace? Is it because they have not played anybody yet?
                      Guentzel likely plays a role, but I don't think it's near the level many of you are claiming. Lucia being fully healthy....sure that plays into it a little bit, but again, not as much as people are saying. Seems like more people want to give credit to the coaching changes/staff than the kids themselves. Lucia's systems are still there, his oversight never left but the players are executing. Confidence goes a hell of a long ways. Having Sacred Heart to start the year probably did more than most think. Patterson was there last year but he's playing at a higher level now, especially after starting the year with two shutouts his confidence skyrocketed. The PP clicked right away playing a much less talented team, but it helps build confidence that the things they work on in practice will actually work in a game. So much of it is a mindset (and yes, the coaches play a role in that.)

One reason it could take a turn for the worse, yeah, the schedule is part of it (especially in Jan/Feb.) At UND, CC at home, H&H w/ SCSU, @Denver. That's a rough stretch. I'll fully admit at this point the series with us is probably the "easiest" in that group. Injuries, chemistry issues, etc can happen and right now in this first 12 game stretch it's been going the gophers way. Personally, I plan on seeing all of that start to change sometime around 7:37PM Friday night.
                      Last edited by motox; 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        Yawn.
                        Really, then why don't you answer his question?
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                          I seem to remember SCSU sweeping MN in a home and home and scoring ten on the weekend, but then again the Gophers weren't the #1 team in the nation going into the series... they were no. 2.
                          SCSU fans can cherry pick all the data they want to extrapolate how Fiday and Saturday will unfold.

But the fact remains that since SCSU joined the WCHA they've never been more than an occasional flash-in-the-pan.

At best.

For those SCSU fans who question the Gophers consistency vs. their ranking, hey, look in the mirror.

Comment

• Originally posted by motox View Post
                            Guentzel likely plays a role, but I don't think it's near the level many of you are claiming. Lucia being fully healthy....sure that plays into it a little bit, but again, not as much as people are saying. Seems like more people want to give credit to the coaching changes/staff than the kids themselves. Lucia's systems are still there, his oversight never left but the players are executing. Confidence goes a hell of a long ways. Having Sacred Heart to start the year probably did more than most think. Patterson was there last year but he's playing at a higher level now, especially after starting the year with two shutouts his confidence skyrocketed. The PP clicked right away playing a much less talented team, but it helps build confidence that the things they work on in practice will actually work in a game. So much of it is a mindset (and yes, the coaches play a role in that.)

One reason it could take a turn for the worse, yeah, the schedule is part of it (especially in Jan/Feb.) At UND, CC at home, H&H w/ SCSU, @Denver. That's a rough stretch. I'll fully admit at this point the series with us is probably the "easiest" in that group. Injuries, chemistry issues, etc can happen and right now in this first 12 game stretch it's been going the gophers way. Personally, I plan on seeing all of that start to change sometime around 7:37PM Friday night.
                            Couldn't have said it better myself.
                            Nicely done.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by motox View Post

Personally. I don't think the problem was ever talent or confidence. I think it was a problem with motivation. Too many players had one foot out the door and there wasn't strong enough leadership on or off the ice.

Was it only Guentzel? No. Was it only Lucia? No. Was it only getting a captain Lucia says is the hardest working captain he's had? No. Was it only a strong sophomore and freshman class that likes to work? No.

But a combo of all those factors? Certainly.

Comment

Spin spin spin spin. Games haven't even been played yet.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X