Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    They're right Gopher fans. Stop being excited about the boys playing closer to their potential for the first time in years. Absolutely no reason for any jubilation whatsoever.

This is a brilliant effort out of the Cloud fans, really. Even if they get stomped (which I don't think will happen, FTR) they can still yammer on about how we should hang a banner for playing well to start the year.
    Like I said, Gopher fans have been telling us that for years when SCSU would "play to their potential" to start a season.
    Not our fault you guys want to change the rules when they fit the profile you want them to.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: Minnesota vs Jan Brady State (home and home) Nov 18th-19th

Nobody is raising any banners for what MN has done thus far. However, the team has shown signs of doing things that it clearly has not done since the seasons in which it was a regular participant in the NCAA tournament. Strong goaltending, strong penalty kill, and a decent offense are never a bad combination to have, and should those things continue, MN will certainly finish in the top tier of the league and be a force to be reckoned with in the postseason. What is also encouraging is that this team has won ugly when it's needed to and has shown an unusual (for Minnesota teams at least) willingness to play as physical and gritty as need be to get the job done. If you haven't seen them play as of yet, one thing you will likely notice is the top line - while highly skilled - is also VERY physical by Gopher standards(even the relatively tiny Rau will not shy away from hits). Given what we've seen so far, I'd say we have good reason as Gopher fans to be optimistic.

Comment

No. Only if they win two NCAA Championships in a row can we show some happiness about their play.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Got it. So it's only OK to be cocky in November if it's the Gophers.
          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            No. Only if they win two NCAA Championships in a row can we show some happiness about their play.
            Yes. And when they lose in a region final the following season (after winning the F5), we're supposed to be p*ssed off that they failed to advance.

It's funny how obtuse Jan fans are - as if we're somehow being selective about making fun of them for playing well early in years past. Here's the reason you dolts - it's because your program's history has shown nothing but brickfests in March. Even with the last three pitiful seasons, I can still pretty clearly remember MN's last F5 title, last F4 appearance, and last NCAA title. Your team has just one of those three things in its entire history, and it's been quite awhile since that happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
              Yes. And when they lose in a region final the following season (after winning the F5), we're supposed to be p*ssed off that they failed to advance.

It's funny how obtuse Jan fans are - as if we're somehow being selective about making fun of them for playing well early in years past. Here's the reason you dolts - it's because your program's history has shown nothing but brickfests in March. Even with the last three pitiful seasons, I can still pretty clearly remember MN's last F5 title, last F4 appearance, and last NCAA title. Your team has just one of those three things in its entire history, and it's been quite awhile since that happened.
              And?
              Not one of your teams current players has seen any of those things, they haven't seen an NCAA tourney win, they haven't seen an appearence in the NCAA tourney at all, hell none of them have even seen the weekend at the Final Five.
              Your history is just that, and it means zilch to this year's team who so far have only proven they can start the season 10-2.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                Before we completely dismiss October's games as being meaningless with regard to what a team does "when it matters", here's what recent national champions have done in the first month of the season:
                '10-'11: UMD 6-0-2
                '09-'10: BC 2-1
                '08-'09: BU 4-1
                '07-'08: BC 3-1-2
                '06-'07: MSU 3-1
                '05-'06: UW 4-1-1
                '04-'05: DU 4-3
                '03-'04: DU 4-1
                '02-'03: MN 2-1-2
                '01-'02: MN 5-0
                '00-'01: BC 5-1
                '99-'00: UND 3-0-1
                Total: 45-11-8 (.766)

So apparently playing well early does matter to some degree. None of these teams were under .500 in the first month.
                IT matters to some degree, unless you're the 08-09 Gophers who didn't lose until their 12th game of the season. That team crapped the bed so badly they didn't even make the NCAA tournament.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Why is this forum even turned on more than maybe a week or so in April? Let's just see who wins the NC and have 1 thread each year for their fans to celebrate in and then lock it quickly so as to not be living in the past.

Seriously, no one is saying the Gophers' success so far is a guarantee of any playoff success or even that they'll necessarily continue it throughout the rest of the regular season so opposing fans can save their time and stop debating that strawman.

Comment

I am saying that the Gophers are the best team in the history of hockey. This years team is easily the best team to ever play the sport at any level. It's clear they will sweep the Conference and Final Five titles as well as the NCAA title, Calder Cup and Stanley Cup.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                      Got it. So it's only OK to be cocky in November if it's the Gophers.
                      No, it's OK for the Gophers and their fans to be cocky ANYTIME.

Comment

Originally posted by huskiesfan1990 View Post
                        This thread is great.

I'm thinking a split this weekend. I was hoping to get down to Mariucci for the first time since 2008, but I'll be in Milwaukee all weekend.
                        I knew there was another reason why I didn't want to go to Milwaukee this weekend.

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        In a strange twist.......Arctic Cat.
                        Finally! Someone got it correct! It only took how many years for people to realize that there is a Arctic Cat plant in St. Cloud and not Polaris.
                        Originally posted by Skeeterman
                        Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                        "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Shortbus sighting?!:

Did he have his jersey over his popped collar shirt? Wait, dumb question. Of course he did.
                          I phrased that wrong. He wasn't actually SIGHTED, he was heard from. And no, shortbus should not be seen but not heard. He shouldn't be seen either.

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          Instead of talking about how much the thread sucks, perhaps you could try to contribute? Just a thought....
                          What do you contribute to a trainwreck? I don't know how to save the life of someone dying, so not too much I can do.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Only if they win back-to-back NCs in REGULATION. None of this last-minute, overtime garbage.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by mnwildfan79 View Post
                            Why is this forum even turned on more than maybe a week or so in April? Let's just see who wins the NC and have 1 thread each year for their fans to celebrate in and then lock it quickly so as to not be living in the past.

Seriously, no one is saying the Gophers' success so far is a guarantee of any playoff success or even that they'll necessarily continue it throughout the rest of the regular season so opposing fans can save their time and stop debating that strawman.
                            If I didn't have time to waste, I wouldn't be here. Go **** yourself.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              If you aren't ok with me, I must be doing something right
                              And you must be doing something EXTRA right when Gopher fans roll their eyes at you. Of course, that's probably only enjoyable to us non-Gopher fans.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                IT matters to some degree, unless you're the 08-09 Gophers who didn't lose until their 12th game of the season. That team crapped the bed so badly they didn't even make the NCAA tournament.
                                Lucia got sarcoidosis in the middle of that season. It *may* have had something to do with the team ****ting the bed.

FTLT, you're so effing dense, you aren't worth the bandwidth you waste with your posts. If you choose to ignore the explanation offered to you regarding why your fans get crap for being overly optimistic (since your team perpetually fails each spring), that's on you not on us.

Lucia is healthy (unlike '08-'09), and Guentzel has replaced the incompetent Hill. If you can't grasp how these two things might lead to a much better season for MN, then you are seriously beyond help, and your IQ is likely lower than whatever mediocre win total your team ends up with at season's end. The players may not have the tournament experience, but the coaching staff certainly does.

Comment

Working...
                                X