X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    JMH-Having followed hockey for so long I begin to confuse the seasons-but you are right. This game has changed in so many ways. The entire emphasis has been altered. I know we have not seen a 30+ goal scorer in the ECAC in over 11 years-from any of the teams. I do not have a solution-I do not think they can take away shot blocking-it is just a very valuable part of the game. The goalies are better-for sure. The equipment is better. The defensemen are much bigger yet can skate as well as the forwards. When i first started in college hockey a big forward was about 175 pounds and the usual defensemen was considered huge at 190-200.pounds. Coaches spend so much time on defense and penalty killing that even a 5 on 3 is no longer a guarantee of scoring. I would not want to see too much tampering with the game-I am an old fashioned old time hockey guy. As long as it does not get as bad as soccer (with every game seemingly ending 1-0) I can live with what we seem to have now. Perhaps both our attitudes about low scoring might change once we start pumping a few into the net as this season goes on.
    The days of filling up the net are gone....both Yale and Brown used the trap over the weekend...heck the Tampa Bay Lightening are even trapping now check out the youtube video of them playing the Flyers and Pronger refusing to move the puck out of the zone quite interesting for sure...but love it our hate it its here to stay...any team has a chance to win w/this system thats why special teams are the whole game now.I believe you need to click at about 20-25% on the PP now to be a winning team...look at Cornell how many league championships have they trapped their way to...heck Union trapped their way to a championship last year w/one of the best PP's in the country.We can play with anybody I truely believe that but we need to get the PP in order...I think were what 6% if we can get that to 20% were going to be OK...if not it could get ugly...look at saturday we won w/a power play goal and Brown got blanked on their PP's that was the difference and will continue to be into the future...We seemed to have a little more confidence on the PP sat.and generated a lot more grade A opportunities than we have been so hopefully were on our way...we can thank Lou Lamarillo and Jaques Lemeire for this sh*t show...once you win a few Cups w/it everybody wants to do it !!!!!!!
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      So I just bought my train ticket to Rochester and my seat for the game against RIT right after Thanksgiving. Anyone else going?
      I'm going! Just bought my ticket-General Admission-I'll be looking for the sea of red!

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
        I'm going! Just bought my ticket-General Admission-I'll be looking for the sea of red!
        Considering going as well; haven't worked out travel plans or any of that "important" stuff yet. Maybe I'll just buy a ticket and let everything else sort itself out.
        RPI Class of 2012
        Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Off topic: RHamilton, I just noticed that you haven't updated your sig for any of this season's games. Any reason why, or did you just forget?
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Off topic: RHamilton, I just noticed that you haven't updated your sig for any of this season's games. Any reason why, or did you just forget?
            None, just laziness!

EDIT: Fixed
            Last edited by RHamilton; 11-14-2011, 01:22 AM.
            RPI Class of 2012
            Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
              The days of filling up the net are gone....both Yale and Brown used the trap over the weekend...heck the Tampa Bay Lightening are even trapping now check out the youtube video of them playing the Flyers and Pronger refusing to move the puck out of the zone quite interesting for sure...but love it our hate it its here to stay...any team has a chance to win w/this system thats why special teams are the whole game now.I believe you need to click at about 20-25% on the PP now to be a winning team...look at Cornell how many league championships have they trapped their way to...heck Union trapped their way to a championship last year w/one of the best PP's in the country.We can play with anybody I truely believe that but we need to get the PP in order...I think were what 6% if we can get that to 20% were going to be OK...if not it could get ugly...look at saturday we won w/a power play goal and Brown got blanked on their PP's that was the difference and will continue to be into the future...We seemed to have a little more confidence on the PP sat.and generated a lot more grade A opportunities than we have been so hopefully were on our way...we can thank Lou Lamarillo and Jaques Lemeire for this sh*t show...once you win a few Cups w/it everybody wants to do it !!!!!!!
              Our powerplay has the ability to get to 20% assuming that it can stay reasonably intact for an extended period.

As to the trap, one can only hope that it will be outlawed when fans stay away.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                What's the chances we see Bryan Hicks Tuesday?
                Didn't he run for Mayor of Schenectady?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Didn't he run for Mayor of Rochester?
                  FYP.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                    You have hit the nail on the head. The trap is as important to holding down scoring as anything in the game. Variations of it have been used for ages. Whether you call it the Left Wing Lock or something else, all of it is designed to prevent the other team from scoring. One thing that might be tried-is to revrse the old 'Gretzky' rule that the NHL instituted way back when teams draw matching penalties. Perhaps on ice strength should be reduced for every matching penalty-making for lots more 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 play. I would find that very acceptable-for me it would even be bringing back the wide open hockey I used to enjoy as a kid.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I vote to go back to discussing barbers.
                      I dunno, Ralph, the word "haircut" has so many different meanings in so many different contexts, you never know who you might offend these days!

"Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Speaking of RPI TV...It looks like only the pregame and first period against Brown are up. Did it get lost again?

Comment

I was thinking about this for a bit last night, and had an idea as to why we seem to have our difficulties.

Everyone, what does RPI do when they first take possession and try to gain the zone? What do they do on the power play? Don't answer these on here, just develop a mental answer. Go ahead, I'll wait.

*hums Jeopardy theme*

I'm sure many of you observant ones will be able to answer these questions with at least 85% accuracy. My point is that I have this feeling that our opponents have caught on to what we do and are ready for it. Let's see if we can throw something at them that they're not ready for.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            I was thinking about this for a bit last night, and had an idea as to why we seem to have our difficulties.

Everyone, what does RPI do when they first take possession and try to gain the zone? What do they do on the power play? Don't answer these on here, just develop a mental answer. Go ahead, I'll wait.

*hums Jeopardy theme*

I'm sure many of you observant ones will be able to answer these questions with at least 85% accuracy. My point is that I have this feeling that our opponents have caught on to what we do and are ready for it. Let's see if we can throw something at them that they're not ready for.
                            Excellent post, especially since I arrived at the answer about 2 seconds after reading the questions. If the fans are able to figure it out that quickly, I'm sure opposing coaches can, too, and figure out a solid way to exploit it. Change it up, RPI.
                            Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              I dunno, Ralph, the word "haircut" has so many different meanings in so many different contexts, you never know who you might offend these days!

Of course I had to look it up in the Urban Dictionary.

FWIW, I used to like that barber shop.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Of course I had to look it up in the Urban Dictionary.

FWIW, I used to like that barber shop.
                                A random tuesday night. Tell everyone you know to go to this game. Let's get a good crowd at the hfh.
                                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Working...
                                X