• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I was told there'd be no politics...
    Finally ... a voice of reason
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

The team wins and we go into a political debate, if they win 2 in a row do math questions start getting asked? Much needed win last night and the team created many great chances to score. JL disallowed goal was the right call but very good hand eye coordination on his part. Tuesday the team is going to see a angry determined Union squad looking to right the ship at our expense but if the team continues the good D and can connect on a few of the scoring chances I think they will be alright.
      Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

I vote to go back to discussing barbers.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
          The team wins and we go into a political debate, if they win 2 in a row do math questions start getting asked?
          If we do math, I'm defintely going to cheat off Ralph.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

a
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Top 8? I am surprised -I have not given up on a bye. This team could do what many of our past teams have not done-actually improve as the season goes on. This freshman offense will score and if the defense can keep playing most games and holding down the scoring to around 2 goals we will not be an easy team to beat for anyone soon. Sure, 2-9 does not scare many people but I suspect that those who look carefully at RPI will not take them lightly. With a healthy freshman contingent we will exert a lot more offensive pressure than we saw at Clarkson and SLU. I want to wait until we see how this team handles Union Tuesday night before I start thinking that they cannot be a top 4 league team.
              I haven't posted in a bit, but as usual I find the good Doctor to be spot on. I also think we are going to continue to get better (much better) as the season progresses. The way we have been playing D and our goaltending has been very good. We just don't give teams many chances. We are in the same discussion as the past few years - we need 1-2 more goals per game and the record might just be reversed. I love the freshmen, and in particular think that Haggerty has adjusted to the system quicker than the others...but we have also had injuries and all of this is turning. JL look very crafty this weekend, and much more in the play and a threat then before he got injured. I can't wait for Neal to be back. This freshman 4 (Haggerty, Schroeder, Neal, and Laliberte) are going to be one heck of a dynamic bunch. We just need to give them time. I also have to say that I really like the attitude that Pat Cullen and Guy LeBoeuf have been playing with. Koudys and Leonard (quiet and solid but also with a bit of attitude). Couple things that I see though are 1) still struggling a little to get out of our own end, even when on the power play. We get trapped back with our forwards at the red line or far blue trying to make the long outlet. Really noticeable versus Yale when they just pressured us into our zone and stayed in lanes eliminating that long pass whereas they constantly use speed and motion and typically didn't have passes longer than 15-20 feet at most. 2) we NEED TO STAY OUT OF THE BOX. We spent 8 min or so in the box during the first period versus Brown. No team is going to be able to generate the kiind of chances they need to win down a man for 1/2 of each period. 3) I also think that once we get into the offensive zone and get control of the puck that we carry the play and that our work on the boards is very good. I'm still upbeat and enjoying the games as hockey games and was great to see the way the players all bonded after the horn blew last night. Our season is all upside from here.

Comment

Anyone else notice that in the Yale victory over Union 4-0, they held the powerful Union power play to an zero for seven night? That may just be the key to Tuesday night. Stay out of the box-of course-but if we do get called for things, have our penalty killing continue to do the job they have so far this season. We actually have held off teams a few times down two men 5 on 3 which in past years was almost a sure goal against us. Just hope they keep John Murphy and Kotyra active some place else besides Troy.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  I'm looking for my slide rule now.

Comment

For those who may have been wondering but were afraid to look -

The current team's five shutout losses is not a school record.

According to my research, the school record for shutout losses in a season is six, held jointly by the 2004-05 and 2008-09 teams. (The infamous 1965-66 squad was shut out only five times, though that was in an era when the college game was more high scoring and teams played far fewer games than is the case today.)

I surely hope, as do the rest of us, that the offense will pick up as the team slowly recovers from its injury problems and returns to full strength. Maybe the guys will go the rest of the season without ever being shut out again.

On the other hand, the 2004-05 team didn't suffer the first of its six shutouts until Nov. 27.

Comment

What's the chances we see Bryan Hicks Tuesday?

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                        I haven't posted in a bit, but as usual I find the good Doctor to be spot on. I also think we are going to continue to get better (much better) as the season progresses. The way we have been playing D and our goaltending has been very good. We just don't give teams many chances. We are in the same discussion as the past few years - we need 1-2 more goals per game and the record might just be reversed. I love the freshmen, and in particular think that Haggerty has adjusted to the system quicker than the others...but we have also had injuries and all of this is turning. JL look very crafty this weekend, and much more in the play and a threat then before he got injured. I can't wait for Neal to be back. This freshman 4 (Haggerty, Schroeder, Neal, and Laliberte) are going to be one heck of a dynamic bunch. We just need to give them time. I also have to say that I really like the attitude that Pat Cullen and Guy LeBoeuf have been playing with. Koudys and Leonard (quiet and solid but also with a bit of attitude). Couple things that I see though are 1) still struggling a little to get out of our own end, even when on the power play. We get trapped back with our forwards at the red line or far blue trying to make the long outlet. Really noticeable versus Yale when they just pressured us into our zone and stayed in lanes eliminating that long pass whereas they constantly use speed and motion and typically didn't have passes longer than 15-20 feet at most. 2) we NEED TO STAY OUT OF THE BOX. We spent 8 min or so in the box during the first period versus Brown. No team is going to be able to generate the kiind of chances they need to win down a man for 1/2 of each period. 3) I also think that once we get into the offensive zone and get control of the puck that we carry the play and that our work on the boards is very good. I'm still upbeat and enjoying the games as hockey games and was great to see the way the players all bonded after the horn blew last night. Our season is all upside from here.
                        I thought the reffing was awful Sat. night (Murphy of course). Good call on the high stick goal and the Tinordi charging but the rest was suspect for both sides but I digress because I have great admiration for the ECAC officials and Mr. Paul Stewart.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          I thought the reffing was awful Sat. night (Murphy of course). Good call on the high stick goal and the Tinordi charging but the rest was suspect for both sides but I digress because I have great admiration for the ECAC officials and Mr. Paul Stewart.
                          I didn't think great all weekend, and in particular I think Yale would say the same. Just to frequent and inconsistent. I don't want to get on a reffing diatribe, and do want them to make sure things don't get out of control and get the basics (goal, offsides), but agree a lot of marginal stuff gets called inconsistently. I will say however, that our parades to the box this year can't just be attributed to the guys in stripes. Guess I should close my eyes and wait for it to come.......

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                            I don't want to get on a reffing diatribe
                            The only reason I joined the thread was to complain about the refs. It gives my life meaning. it was good to see you this weekend. You're right, we'll be fine this year and we'll enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Top 8? I am surprised -I have not given up on a bye. This team could do what many of our past teams have not done-actually improve as the season goes on. This freshman offense will score and if the defense can keep playing most games and holding down the scoring to around 2 goals we will not be an easy team to beat for anyone soon. Sure, 2-9 does not scare many people but I suspect that those who look carefully at RPI will not take them lightly. With a healthy freshman contingent we will exert a lot more offensive pressure than we saw at Clarkson and SLU. I want to wait until we see how this team handles Union Tuesday night before I start thinking that they cannot be a top 4 league team.
                              I agree with the good Dr. 100%.

Our offense is slow out of the gate to be sure. Look at the ECAC though. SLU has scored 6 goals in 4 games yet are 3-1. Cornell is the only team averaging more than 3 goals a game and who would have expected them to be the best offense? It's still too early to draw any real conclusions but after two weeks it seems like no one can score. We're just a little better at not scoring than the rest!

Which brings me to a concern. It's just getting harder and harder to score. for a few years the focus was mostly on the goalie equipment as the problem and the skill level of the goalies. I'm starting to wonder if the root cause isn't the fact that everyone plays defense now. It's just so hard to get clean shots through on the PP. Blocked shots are so commonplace that they outnumber saves at times. I know that some out there might enjoys seeing tons of blocked shots but I for one don't find it interesting when all 5 defensive skaters and the goalie are all bunched together in the middle of the zone and it takes 5 tries to get one through to the goalie. I wonder if there is a rule change out there that can result in more shots getting on net and force the goalie to make 75% of the blocks/saves instead of the 50% or less that seems to happen far too often. One possibility would be to make it illegal to go down on one skate to block shots within a portion of the zone, perhaps from the top of the circles in. Something that will force the wings to rush the points to block shots instead of hanging in the upper slot. Maybe I'm over thinking it here the boys skate too well and their defensive technique is just too good. We need to have more 4-3 games than 1-0 games. JMHO. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                I agree with the good Dr. 100%.

Our offense is slow out of the gate to be sure. Look at the ECAC though. SLU has scored 6 goals in 4 games yet are 3-1. Cornell is the only team averaging more than 3 goals a game and who would have expected them to be the best offense? It's still too early to draw any real conclusions but after two weeks it seems like no one can score. We're just a little better at not scoring than the rest!

Which brings me to a concern. It's just getting harder and harder to score. for a few years the focus was mostly on the goalie equipment as the problem and the skill level of the goalies. I'm starting to wonder if the root cause isn't the fact that everyone plays defense now. It's just so hard to get clean shots through on the PP. Blocked shots are so commonplace that they outnumber saves at times. I know that some out there might enjoys seeing tons of blocked shots but I for one don't find it interesting when all 5 defensive skaters and the goalie are all bunched together in the middle of the zone and it takes 5 tries to get one through to the goalie. I wonder if there is a rule change out there that can result in more shots getting on net and force the goalie to make 75% of the blocks/saves instead of the 50% or less that seems to happen far too often. One possibility would be to make it illegal to go down on one skate to block shots within a portion of the zone, perhaps from the top of the circles in. Something that will force the wings to rush the points to block shots instead of hanging in the upper slot. Maybe I'm over thinking it here the boys skate too well and their defensive technique is just too good. We need to have more 4-3 games than 1-0 games. JMHO. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this.
                                JMH-Having followed hockey for so long I begin to confuse the seasons-but you are right. This game has changed in so many ways. The entire emphasis has been altered. I know we have not seen a 30+ goal scorer in the ECAC in over 11 years-from any of the teams. I do not have a solution-I do not think they can take away shot blocking-it is just a very valuable part of the game. The goalies are better-for sure. The equipment is better. The defensemen are much bigger yet can skate as well as the forwards. When i first started in college hockey a big forward was about 175 pounds and the usual defensemen was considered huge at 190-200.pounds. Coaches spend so much time on defense and penalty killing that even a 5 on 3 is no longer a guarantee of scoring. I would not want to see too much tampering with the game-I am an old fashioned old time hockey guy. As long as it does not get as bad as soccer (with every game seemingly ending 1-0) I can live with what we seem to have now. Perhaps both our attitudes about low scoring might change once we start pumping a few into the net as this season goes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X