X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
    Quite honestly Ralph, I am not so sure those doing the WRPI broadcast have ever used negative adjectives to describe the play of any RPI player. I do understand what you are referring to, that if a d-man gets beat wide during the broadcast you attribute that to slow feet/speed.

You are correct in stating that whoever the opponent might be when contact occurs, will usually be smaller and at a size disadvantage. In my opinion, this is something I am sure Curadi is aware of and sometimes needs to adjust his style or aggressiveness, especially along the boards, since the onus of contact shifts to the player making the hit!
    I agree that they don't use negative words to describe RPI (or opposing) players, as they shouldn't, but one can figure out things from what they say, as for example, who commits turnovers.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      I am sure that SA expects his seniors to play with more poise and awareness of the situation.
      I think that we should expect the same of SA. Last minute of a tied hockey game, and you have your two best offensive defensemen on the ice. What is he thinking. Koudys and Dolan have played a great stay at home defensive game, and they are on the bench. It makes you wonder.
      I think he was thinking that WE would be the team to get that last second goal and escape OT-we do have a history of it. IIRC, play started off in the Qpac end and we had a good chance. Maybe he would have traded for more defensive players if we were in our end, and didn't get a chance. Qpac has a video of the winning goal here if anyone is interested-Bailen got knocked down seconds before it happened.

As for Curadi, his only shortcoming going into his freshman year was his penchant for taking penalties. He has played very well when he has been in there. He is huge, if you ever get the chance to stand next to him, you will understand. I don't think that he will ever get a break from the referees. I think that he can be a very good defenseman for us, but he has to find a way to make those hits without it sounding like he is driving his man through the boards.
      I was only listening to the game so I didn't see the hit, but the WRPI announcers seemed to think Luke got his hands up a bit, and it the call wasn't only against his size. But there definitely have been times when he (or Koudys) have taken penalties for being too tall-they've been doing a good job of adapting lately though.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
        I think he was thinking that WE would be the team to get that last second goal and escape OT-we do have a history of it. IIRC, play started off in the Qpac end and we had a good chance. Maybe he would have traded for more defensive players if we were in our end, and didn't get a chance. Qpac has a video of the winning goal here if anyone is interested-Bailen got knocked down seconds before it happened.

I was only listening to the game so I didn't see the hit, but the WRPI announcers seemed to think Luke got his hands up a bit, and it the call wasn't only against his size. But there definitely have been times when he (or Koudys) have taken penalties for being too tall-they've been doing a good job of adapting lately though.
        Wasn't there but Im quite confident that it was a miss call or an overcall...thats the MO for ECAC officiating they can't even get offsides and iceing calls correct...I was @ Princeton and one of the the princeton goals was a result on a blown iceing call....Im not going to go down the officiating road because it had no bearing on our losses this weekend and that gate swings both ways for both teams...but that doesn't negate the fact that the officiating is borderline at best and changes the way the game is played...NEWS FLASH !!!! just because a player gets tatoo'd on a hit and gets injured or gets up slow does not always mean its a penelaty...there is such a thing as a good hard clean hit that also hurts,but in this league you almost always get the penalty...heck I was at the SLU game this year and an SLU player got the 5 min/10 min ECAC happy meal on a play that was 2 min at best and Malchuck sold it all the way...If you look @ the officials bio's none of them played the game at an upper level if at all and I believe they have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game @ ice level.....thats not going away...so if your a big physical player be it a dman or forward it makes for a long 4 years unless you fundamentally change the way you play the game...that sucks but its life as we know it...I feel a lot better now !!!!!!
        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
          Wasn't there but Im quite confident that it was a miss call or an overcall...thats the MO for ECAC officiating they can't even get offsides and iceing calls correct...I was @ Princeton and one of the the princeton goals was a result on a blown iceing call....Im not going to go down the officiating road because it had no bearing on our losses this weekend and that gate swings both ways for both teams...but that doesn't negate the fact that the officiating is borderline at best and changes the way the game is played...NEWS FLASH !!!! just because a player gets tatoo'd on a hit and gets injured or gets up slow does not always mean its a penelaty...there is such a thing as a good hard clean hit that also hurts,but in this league you almost always get the penalty...heck I was at the SLU game this year and an SLU player got the 5 min/10 min ECAC happy meal on a play that was 2 min at best and Malchuck sold it all the way...If you look @ the officials bio's none of them played the game at an upper level if at all and I believe they have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game @ ice level.....thats not going away...so if your a big physical player be it a dman or forward it makes for a long 4 years unless you fundamentally change the way you play the game...that sucks but its life as we know it...I feel a lot better now !!!!!!
          Well said. And I am glad that you are feeling better.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
            Good point. Plus as i recall from last night QU did not take advantage of the penalty call on Luke. At least he was hitting someone out there which is what our defense needed to do in the last 10 seconds of the game and perhaps we would have had a different outcome. Koudys and Curadi are going to get some raw deals simply because their elbows are up higher than some of the small forwards they hit. But if we kill off those penalties, there is no harm done. No one can blame last night's result on the 5 minute major given during the game. The last 2 losses cannot be blamed totally on our lack of offense-as many of the previous ones were. The fault this weekend was most squarely on the older defensemen not playing the defensive end up to their capability. The giveaways, missed clearings, and lack of hitting to keep guys out from in front of our goalies was just poor defense. This season is passing by quickly and I agree with others who have already posted-time to just give this talented group of freshmen as much important ice time as possible. How could it hurt when you are already 3-12?
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
              One of our defensemen was out of position. Both of them went to the puck carrier and left the eventual goal scorer uncovered. Looks like Bailen was knocked down as a result of his partner checking the QU player and Bailen fell over him. There was nobody within 3 feet of the goal scorer.

Comment

I have never understood the appeal of an offensive D when they aren't able to play their position effectively and stay home when needed. The truth of the matter is when they moved Brutlag from D to O RPI started winning more games.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  This season is passing by quickly and I agree with others who have already posted-time to just give this talented group of freshmen as much important ice time as possible. How could it hurt when you are already 3-12?
                  Doc.....please explain. Are you saying that the freshmen are not getting much "important" ice time? Isn't that why SA scheduled such a tough OOC schedule as to give everyone much needed "important" ice time and experience......not just the freshmen?

I disagree with those who say put Bailen forward. Just because Brutlag was capable of going from a d-man to forward does not mean Bailen can. I have an idea, defense is an attitude as opposed to a taught skill. Why doesn't SA hold Bailen responsible and accountable to better defensive play when the situation calls for it!?

Better yet, every player on a team has roles. It is quite obvious Bailen's role is an offensive one since that is what he is best capable of....providing offense. Then let that be his role. It is also quite obvious that his role is not to be a shut down d-man. Maybe SA should put him into situations that accentuate his strengths instead of his weaknesses?
                  Last edited by hockeymascot; 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM.
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

This team is building towards the playoffs. After 2 years of losing to the #11 and #12 seeds at home, the team is using the regular season doesnt matter strategy. Ok, Im trying to avoid the freaking out post.

Anyways we get Union on saturday in Lake Placid, I will be there in section 19 with my cousins one of whom will be wearing a Union jersey. (He is the special one of the family I always said). Looking forward to the day and night up there. Stop by and say hello if anyone feels like, Im friendly.
                    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
                      One of our defensemen was out of position. Both of them went to the puck carrier and left the eventual goal scorer uncovered. Looks like Bailen was knocked down as a result of his partner checking the QU player and Bailen fell over him. There was nobody within 3 feet of the goal scorer.
                      I wasn't at the game and perhaps you were and that is what you are basing your statement on but the video does not show enough of the play development to definitively state that the D made a bad play. Maybe the Q puck carrier was part way around Bergin and Bailen was trying to prevent a partial break-in or maybe it was indeed a bone-headed play. The video just doesn't show enough of the play for me to point fingers. Is your position based on being at the game?

Comment

All of the talk here about Bailen needing to move to offense seems like absurd over-reaction to me. By the same logic, since our forwards aren't scoring maybe we need to move them all back to D. Or heck why not throw them in net since they block so many shots? Geez...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                          Doc.....please explain. Are you saying that the freshmen are not getting much "important" ice time? Isn't that why SA scheduled such a tough OOC schedule as to give everyone much needed "important" ice time and experience......not just the freshmen?
                          I can only go by what I saw live at Princeton and on the excellent video on RPI TV and listening to the call by WRPI for the other games. But it sure seems that SA goes to his veteran defense for long stretches at the end of games-especially in the close games. Bailen and Bergin are just out there for so much of the time-they were for sure in Princeton and last night at QU. For some reason, and I have no idea what it is, defensively they are just not playing like they have in the past and this strategy is not working.
                          Last edited by DrDemento; 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

What's the good news? I think we have found our starting goalie. Scotty Diebold is going to be an awesome D-1 goalie. Not slighting anyone but he has won the #1 spot. JL is finding his grove. I saw the goal at Princeton and it was a thing of beauty. Nice to see Zach get off the snide, he is going to be a good one. My opinion is that #8 and #29 might be trying to fill the leadership vacuum too much and trying to do too much. It's not there effort, IMO there are gripping a little too hard. Would rather see that than a lack of effort. Guys like Paddy Culllen and Josh bring it every game and I'm not going to trash those guys. There great role players but not natural born scorers but if I'm in a fox hole I won't those dudes with me. So we need to play the freshman alot and in big spots.
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              What's the good news? I think we have found our starting goalie. Scotty Diebold is going to be an awesome D-1 goalie. Not slighting anyone but he has won the #1 spot. JL is finding his grove. I saw the goal at Princeton and it was a thing of beauty. Nice to see Zach get off the snide, he is going to be a good one. My opinion is that #8 and #29 might be trying to fill the leadership vacuum too much and trying to do too much. It's not there effort, IMO there are gripping a little too hard. Would rather see that than a lack of effort. Guys like Paddy Culllen and Josh bring it every game and I'm not going to trash those guys. There great role players but not natural born scorers but if I'm in a fox hole I won't those dudes with me. So we need to play the freshman alot and in big spots.
                              Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                I wasn't at the game and perhaps you were and that is what you are basing your statement on but the video does not show enough of the play development to definitively state that the D made a bad play. Maybe the Q puck carrier was part way around Bergin and Bailen was trying to prevent a partial break-in or maybe it was indeed a bone-headed play. The video just doesn't show enough of the play for me to point fingers. Is your position based on being at the game?
                                My position is based on what I saw on the video. I wasnt there. But I dont see how I'm pointing fingers either. If a guy is that open, chances are somebody was out of position. I was just explaining what I thought the video showed.
                                Last edited by DavidSec17; 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X