X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
    Id definately miss going to Baker Rink, its one of my top three favorite rinks Ive been to. I havent been down to Princeton in a few years but I remember my first trip there sitting with Nate Marsters brother thinking to myself d*** its cold in here!
    I have said it all the time-the coldest spot on earth is not in Siberia-it is in Baker Rink after you have sat on those uncomfortable seats for about an hour. Usually we have to take occassional walks outside to warm up (even when it is frigid outside)
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I have said it all the time-the coldest spot on earth is not in Siberia-it is in Baker Rink after you have sat on those uncomfortable seats for about an hour. Usually we have to take occassional walks outside to warm up (even when it is frigid outside)
      It always seemed to me that the HFH (not yet called the HFH) was much colder before the renovation in the early 1980's than it is now.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
        Not bad... personally Id look forward to the back to back nights against (hopefully by then) Monty's Blackbears and a weekend cc-skiing in Acadia and dining on some fresh lobster in Bar Harbor.
        I have heard the Monty to Maine one before but when RH says it I certainly take notice.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          It always seemed to me that the HFH (not yet called the HFH) was much colder before the renovation in the early 1980's than it is now.
          HFH gets so warm I have to wear shorts there, even at ice level!

Comment

Speaking of good Irish joints, Where has my old friend johnk been?
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Not quite, but it is much warmer than before 1980.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Speaking of good Irish joints, Where has my old friend johnk been?
                I'm Here. Nothing much to add to conversation right now. Was furious after the Union game so I made one post after that game as I try to figure where this years squad might be headed. The RIT game (didn't attend, just watched on TW3) had some positives so right now all we as fans, and the team themselves can do is look for signs of improvement one game at a time.

Also wanted to mention that at the Rangers game against Philly on Saturday they announced the alumni squads for the WInter Classic and Neil Little will be one of two goalies for the Flyers.

Comment

Not quite, but it is much warmer than before 1980.
                  Absolutely! HFH was never frigid-but it was most certainly colder back in the 1970's and early 1980's. After that it was variable-sometimes fairly cold but mostly down in the lower level seating. Once you got up above row K it was always pretty warm. We have been to all the ECAC rinks including those that are no longer in the league-Army and Vermont. They have all been pretty much like HFH-Baker Rink is the exception-Princeton University certainly has no problem paying their air conditioning bill!

Comment

A friend had to change his plans for Saturday night so I have at least two (and maybe as many as 4) tickets available for the game at the Q on the visitor's side. If anyone is interested, my only request is that you must support the boys in cherry and white. I can be contacted via the "send email" link on my profile page.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Try going up to the catwalk sometime.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Try going up to the catwalk sometime.
                        I've never been there. Wouldn't mind checking it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          A friend had to change his plans for Saturday night so I have at least two (and maybe as many as 4) tickets available for the game at the Q on the visitor's side. If anyone is interested, my only request is that you must support the boys in cherry and white. I can be contacted via the "send email" link on my profile page.
                          Tickets are claimed. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Absolutely! HFH was never frigid-but it was most certainly colder back in the 1970's and early 1980's. After that it was variable-sometimes fairly cold but mostly down in the lower level seating. Once you got up above row K it was always pretty warm. We have been to all the ECAC rinks including those that are no longer in the league-Army and Vermont. They have all been pretty much like HFH-Baker Rink is the exception-Princeton University certainly has no problem paying their air conditioning bill!
                            Legend has it that Ned Harkness, in years when he had players with size but not much speed, had the Field House staff crank up the thermostat, in the hope that softer ice might slow some of the opposing teams down closer to the speed of RPI's big old bears.

But I thought we were supposed to be emphasizing speed nowadays. I'm surprised that Appert isn't screaming for the place to be cooled down to the level of Baker Rink.

Maybe there's a reason why RPI and Princeton have spent the last four years winning in the other team's rink.

Comment

Shirley you jest.
                              And don't call me Shirley!

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                                Legend has it that Ned Harkness, in years when he had players with size but not much speed, had the Field House staff crank up the thermostat, in the hope that softer ice might slow some of the opposing teams down closer to the speed of RPI's big old bears.

But I thought we were supposed to be emphasizing speed nowadays. I'm surprised that Appert isn't screaming for the place to be cooled down to the level of Baker Rink.

Maybe there's a reason why RPI and Princeton have spent the last four years winning in the other team's rink.
                                Lots of Ned stories around. There are those who swear he had the fieldhouse staff open the doors at the end behind the RPI team so they skated with the wind. Having met the man way back when, I am convinced he would do whatever he felt was necessary for his team to get an advantage. One wonders where this program would have been without him?

Comment

Working...
                                X