X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
    I was glad to see Higgs put as a wing on Laliberte's line-IMO, it generated more scoring chances than having the two centering separate lines. Maybe we need to concentrate our scoring power into fewer lines until everyone relaxes a bit and remembers they're all perfectly capable of scoring.
    I was surprised at some of the line tinkering that Appert did for this game. Both Higgs and Malchuk (widely regarded as two of our top centers) were playing non-center positions. It seems like we've gone from a lack of centers to a glut.

Not that I'm complaining. I mean, it's hard to argue with results, but I just thought it was an odd shuffle.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      I was surprised at some of the line tinkering that Appert did for this game. Both Higgs and Malchuk (widely regarded as two of our top centers) were playing non-center positions. It seems like we've gone from a lack of centers to a glut.

Not that I'm complaining. I mean, it's hard to argue with results, but I just thought it was an odd shuffle.
      It has surprised me that Malchuk doesn't play center. He's one of our best faceoff guys.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        It has surprised me that Malchuk doesn't play center. He's one of our best faceoff guys.
        And an extremely effective penalty kill guy. Hustles 100% every minute out there.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
          Random thought/concern: anyone else concerned by the fact that we were taking issue with not producing on the power play earlier this season, yet suddenly we did this past weekend, and now we've gone an epic amount of game minutes without an even strength goal? Why are our offensive woes swinging from one side of the equation to the other? (Regardless of the fact that we're having scoring issues all around. This is within the scope of the actual scoring we're doing)

Edit: also, why is one of our top scorers a d-man? I know he's got a wicked one-timer, and I'm not complaining about the production, but still just a curiosity question.
          Just my opinion but scoring 5on5 is about 30% skill and 70% bounces and opportunity(luck) the power play is 30% luck and 70% skill and execution.5on5 if you keep shooting on net working the corners and crashing the net they will eventually start going in granted were testing that theory but I believe it will come around for us...the PP is all about execution...its about moving the puck making great passes and finding the open man...there is a great deal more time and space on the PP and execution by skilled players wiil exploit that more times than not....the fact that our PP is looking better every week tells me that we have skilled players that can execute and they are starting to jell...so if we can continue to grind out 5 on 5's and continue to execute on our PP we will start to put some numbers up and maybe get on a little run.JMO
          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just for the record I'm a big Josh Rabbani fan...JR seems to draw a lot of attention when he is in the corners and put alot of people on their *ss...its hard to defend a guy like JL from the seat of your pants...I would like to see him more often on a line w/JL playing on his off wing...JR digging pucks out to him and taking up space in front of the net and generally looking after him !!!!!!!
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
              Just my opinion but scoring 5on5 is about 30% skill and 70% bounces and opportunity(luck) the power play is 30% luck and 70% skill and execution.5on5 if you keep shooting on net working the corners and crashing the net they will eventually start going in granted were testing that theory but I believe it will come around for us...the PP is all about execution...its about moving the puck making great passes and finding the open man...there is a great deal more time and space on the PP and execution by skilled players wiil exploit that more times than not....the fact that our PP is looking better every week tells me that we have skilled players that can execute and they are starting to jell...so if we can continue to grind out 5 on 5's and continue to execute on our PP we will start to put some numbers up and maybe get on a little run.JMO
              Interesting thoughts. I would not be concerned about our 5 on 5 play and scoring (as long as we kep the other team off the scoreboard). But that would be true if we were clicking on the power play at over 20%. Most games we get enough powerplays that if we can score on 20% or more we should get a goal or two. Our penalty killing has been good enough for that to give us a net + on special teams most games. If we could just play 5 on 5 to a standstill(even 0-0) we certainly would have more than a 3-10 record. Our lack of scoring is of course a concern-but as we all know we have been hit incredibly hard by injuries to exactly the area that should be doing most of the scoring-our young forwards and centers. I do not like losing, but I love this team. I still insist we are a tough team to play and will only get tougher as this season and league play goes on. As usual-just my 2¢

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Interesting thoughts. I would not be concerned about our 5 on 5 play and scoring (as long as we kep the other team off the scoreboard). But that would be true if we were clicking on the power play at over 20%. Most games we get enough powerplays that if we can score on 20% or more we should get a goal or two. Our penalty killing has been good enough for that to give us a net + on special teams most games. If we could just play 5 on 5 to a standstill(even 0-0) we certainly would have more than a 3-10 record. Our lack of scoring is of course a concern-but as we all know we have been hit incredibly hard by injuries to exactly the area that should be doing most of the scoring-our young forwards and centers. I do not like losing, but I love this team. I still insist we are a tough team to play and will only get tougher as this season and league play goes on. As usual-just my 2¢
                That's worth at least a nickle. Our powerplay appears to be improving, although it couldn't have gotten much worse. As to 5 on 5, I am trying to stay optimistic.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just for the record I'm a big Josh Rabbani fan...JR seems to draw a lot of attention when he is in the corners and put alot of people on their *ss...its hard to defend a guy like JL from the seat of your pants...I would like to see him more often on a line w/JL playing on his off wing...JR digging pucks out to him and taking up space in front of the net and generally looking after him !!!!!!!
                  Im also a big JR fan for the same reasons you mentioned, I just wish he had a little more offensive touch to his game if he's going to be put on a line with JL and Higgs. I have high hopes that Zalewski will step in and fill that off wing spot on JL's line next season. That could be one dangerous line for our opponents to deal with.
                  Last edited by redhead18; 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Just a random thought. We are now 2-1 with Luke Curadi in the line up and 1-9 without him. Probably not statistically important but it makes me wonder a bit. Second Luke's +/- is 0 after his three games and I think only one other RPI player is as high as that. Everyone else is more negative. Again, probably means nothing and I never put much emphasis on +/- but perhaps he should be in there a bit more and we would have a better idea if these numbers can continue. Our defensive corps is a strong point and i can't see meddling with it too much-but the numbers so far are a little interesting.
                    release, "the Kraken" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3Y_...eature=related
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I too like JR, but the times that I saw them play together, Laliberte was giving up shots to pass to Rabbani. I know that Josh is the upperclassman, but JL needs to shoot more. He is the scorer on that line.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Looking back at RPI over the SA era, what % of goals have been scored via special teams vs even strength and how does that compare to the national average? Perhaps this will provide more context to the current deficiencies and more importantly, help to focus where the improvement needs to come from.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                          Looking back at RPI over the SA era, what % of goals have been scored via special teams vs even strength and how does that compare to the national average? Perhaps this will provide more context to the current deficiencies and more importantly, help to focus where the improvement needs to come from.
                          Thanks, cake eater, we've got it.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Looking back at RPI over the SA era, what % of goals have been scored via special teams vs even strength and how does that compare to the national average?
                            http://bit.ly/skV0CX

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              I too like JR, but the times that I saw them play together, Laliberte was giving up shots to pass to Rabbani. I know that Josh is the upperclassman, but JL needs to shoot more. He is the scorer on that line.
                              Jackpot! This team in the next few years will either score with JL, Neal, Haggerty etc or be playing lots of 1-0 games. We have great kids in the other classes but none of them have showed they can find the net. We will be adding more offense next year which should help but our future offense is mostly here right now and it is just a matter of time before we get to see some better results.

Comment

Jackpot! This team in the next few years will either score with JL, Neal, Haggerty etc or be playing lots of 1-0 games. We have great kids in the other classes but none of them have showed they can find the net. We will be adding more offense next year which should help but our future offense is mostly here right now and it is just a matter of time before we get to see some better results.
                                I seemingly remember saying at least once during the RIT game (maybe more): "Oh, JL, you gotta take that shot!" That may be the instance, as I can't remember the intended receiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X