This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Just a random thought. We are now 2-1 with Luke Curadi in the line up and 1-9 without him. Probably not statistically important but it makes me wonder a bit. Second Luke's +/- is 0 after his three games and I think only one other RPI player is as high as that. Everyone else is more negative. Again, probably means nothing and I never put much emphasis on +/- but perhaps he should be in there a bit more and we would have a better idea if these numbers can continue. Our defensive corps is a strong point and i can't see meddling with it too much-but the numbers so far are a little interesting.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Just a random thought. We are now 2-1 with Luke Curadi in the line up and 1-9 without him. Probably not statistically important but it makes me wonder a bit. Second Luke's +/- is 0 after his three games and I think only one other RPI player is as high as that. Everyone else is more negative. Again, probably means nothing and I never put much emphasis on +/- but perhaps he should be in there a bit more and we would have a better idea if these numbers can continue. Our defensive corps is a strong point and i can't see meddling with it too much-but the numbers so far are a little interesting.
      We certaily didn't lose anything defensively with him in there. He is very large, and if he can control his enthusiasm, he will be a big asset to this team. I think he played well enough to continue in the line up.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

It's kind of tough to up your +/- when the only times you've had in the past 8 games is 1 even strength goal and 1 shorty.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          It's kind of tough to up your +/- when the only times you've had in the past 8 games is 1 even strength goal and 1 shorty.
          Yes it is "tough", but it is fully within your control. Whether you're a d-man or forward, make enough plays leading to scoring chances that the team (even if not you directly) inevitably scores when you're on the ice.

Comment

Of course-but my point is that on a team that is like -21 overall right now, here is a D-man who is on the ice roughly 1/4 to 1/3 the time and is still not a net minus. I just would like to see what happens with some more exposure. We are 3-10 over all and 1-4 in the ECAC-could it really hurt much to try? I am saying this while admitting that our defense has been at least adequate and certainly the strongest part of our game up to now but i am looking for any little change that could shake this team up a bit. BTW, I have no clue who I would sit of the other 6 defensemen for any given game. Also-I have not been at the games to get a good idea of how each defenseman is playing but only seen on the video so far.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
              Yes it is "tough", but it is fully within your control. Whether you're a d-man or forward, make enough plays leading to scoring chances that the team (even if not you directly) inevitably scores when you're on the ice.
              Very well put. It's not like we haven't had our chances, either.

Comment

Of course-but my point is that on a team that is like -21 overall right now, here is a D-man who is on the ice roughly 1/4 to 1/3 the time and is still not a net minus. I just would like to see what happens with some more exposure. We are 3-10 over all and 1-4 in the ECAC-could it really hurt much to try? I am saying this while admitting that our defense has been at least adequate and certainly the strongest part of our game up to now but i am looking for any little change that could shake this team up a bit. BTW, I have no clue who I would sit of the other 6 defensemen for any given game. Also-I have not been at the games to get a good idea of how each defenseman is playing but only seen on the video so far.
                The D-men have been pretty good, but we still have some difficulty breaking out of the zone. There were a couple of miscues by the D here and there, some that came dangerously close to an RIT goal (though Diebold had some highway robbery moments out there). We still have a lot of work to do.

Comment

The D-men have been pretty good, but we still have some difficulty breaking out of the zone. There were a couple of miscues by the D here and there, some that came dangerously close to an RIT goal (though Diebold had some highway robbery moments out there). We still have a lot of work to do.
                  It would also be interesting to take all of the empty net goals out of the equation-and then see what our various +/- numbers are along with our overall defensive stats. I understand that they are all part of the game-but we did give up an ungodly number during that stretch of losses. We do seem to have 2 real solid goaltenders though and things look even better in that regard for next year.

Comment

The one right in front of me. How about you?
                    I highly doubt that.

Originally posted by babo View Post
                    I agree with FD...RIT brought all they had...it just wasn't enough.
                    I don't disagree with that RIT brought what they had, but control play in the 3rd? Not even close.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Hearty backslap for the little brothers going into Yost and dropping a deuce on the cesspool of the East.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        Hearty backslap for the little brothers going into Yost and dropping a deuce on the cesspool of the East.
                        Stepbrothers, perhaps. And we don't seem to have much trouble with UM either.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The capital district is a combined 8-3-1 against big blue. Assuming UAlbany or any other college in the area didn't play them...

Comment

The capital district is a combined 8-3-1 against big blue. Assuming UAlbany or any other college in the area didn't play them...
                            Seems unlikely, assuming that you mean hockey and on the NCAA level.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Random thought/concern: anyone else concerned by the fact that we were taking issue with not producing on the power play earlier this season, yet suddenly we did this past weekend, and now we've gone an epic amount of game minutes without an even strength goal? Why are our offensive woes swinging from one side of the equation to the other? (Regardless of the fact that we're having scoring issues all around. This is within the scope of the actual scoring we're doing)

Edit: also, why is one of our top scorers a d-man? I know he's got a wicked one-timer, and I'm not complaining about the production, but still just a curiosity question.
                              Last edited by ibanezist00; 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM. Reason: Adding another rhetorical question!
                              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                                Random thought/concern: anyone else concerned by the fact that we were taking issue with not producing on the power play earlier this season, yet suddenly we did this past weekend, and now we've gone an epic amount of game minutes without an even strength goal? Why are our offensive woes swinging from one side of the equation to the other? (Regardless of the fact that we're having scoring issues all around. This is within the scope of the actual scoring we're doing)
                                It's a sign that things are improving, albeit very slowly. Before we basically couldn't score to save our lives, whether that was on the power play or not. Now they're at least starting to put the puck in the net occasionally on the power play (when it is supposed to be easier to score), but that now has to translate to even strength.

Edit: also, why is one of our top scorers a d-man? I know he's got a wicked one-timer, and I'm not complaining about the production, but still just a curiosity question.
                                He was last year, too. Leading returning scorer.

Comment

Working...
                                X