X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
    The great thing I saw about tonight, at least watching it on TV... I agree with Appert, in that though it was only a 2 goal game for us thanks to a power play situation, I still saw some actual offense being generated. We had plenty of quality opportunities, and weren't asleep at the wheel. On the other side, our defense was some of the best I've seen it all season thus far.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, either, I'm happy about the win, but I view this a bit like the Brown win... we won but it took some serious work and didn't come easy. RIT had some shots that should have gone in (hitting the crossbar several times throughout the game), they did manage to put a lot of pressure on our defense, and seemed to pretty evenly match us up. In other words, though it was definitely one of the most solid efforts I've seen from RPI so far this season, it will by no means be the amount of effort required to completely right the ship and get us through some of the opponents we have to face this season.

Absolutely a step in the right direction, however!

Also... I still think Bailen should be put up as a forward...
    It's still only one win, and to an Atlantic team at that (mind you, the big fish in a small pond, but, either way, still just one win). We did what we needed to do on the power play (I realize, only one to compare), and our offensive chances were good, it's just that both goalies were also very good (Malodora was 3rd star, Diebold was 1st). That sort of thing is going to happen, and is why we're going to have to win some ugly 1-0, 2-0, and 2-1 games. There's still some work to do, and I would highly recommend some new break-out plays, as I was once again able to predict exactly what they'd do (at least it beats dump and chase, which is a good thing, although with our speed we may want to try that once).
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The game was good if it instills some confidence in the team.

Having read DrD's medical posts and listened to comments by SA, it wouldn't surprise me if Matt Neal was finished for the season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Agree with everything you said AD. My only concern is that RIT did not look very good. They were slow and never really looked interested.
        I think that we matched up very well with them and it allowed us to use our speed and conditioning. RIT was difinitely out of gas by the middle of the third period.
        A win is a win and that can build confidence.
        So this game is difinitely a step in the right direction.
        Given RIT seemed to control play in most of the 3rd, I would disagree with that sentiment. If they showed disinterest at any time, it would have been towards the beginning of the game. Maybe we were just playing Prevent D and trying to preserve the shutout, hence why I could have been fooled, but I don't think so, given between about 17 and 19 minutes, we were playing in their zone preventing the goalie from being pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Given RIT seemed to control play in most of the 3rd, I would disagree with that sentiment. If they showed disinterest at any time, it would have been towards the beginning of the game. Maybe we were just playing Prevent D and trying to preserve the shutout, hence why I could have been fooled, but I don't think so, given between about 17 and 19 minutes, we were playing in their zone preventing the goalie from being pulled.
          I wasn't at the game and only listened on WRPI, but I didn't sense that RIT was disintereested either.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I wasn't at the game and only listened on WRPI, but I didn't sense that RIT was disintereested either.
            I watched the game on TV last night, and it didn't seem to me that RIT was disinterested at all, in fact quite the opposite, ESPECIALLY in the third. The real deal is that our defense was, as I said, some of the best it's been all season last night. They could barely work it into our zone, and if they had managed to, the shots on goal total would have been more in favor of RIT.
            Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
              I watched the game on TV last night, and it didn't seem to me that RIT was disinterested at all, in fact quite the opposite, ESPECIALLY in the third. The real deal is that our defense was, as I said, some of the best it's been all season last night. They could barely work it into our zone, and if they had managed to, the shots on goal total would have been more in favor of RIT.
              I was watching on America One last night, and the Tigers own announcers commented on them being tired and out of gas before the middle of the third period.
              As for not being interested, they had very little push the entire game, and when they did, it only lasted a minute or so.
              Maybe we were great defensively, but RIT wasn't really pushing very hard. First period was even, with good hits by both teams, after that, I didn't see RIT being very interested in the game.
              Also, for a full house, it was more like a morgue. And I am sure that this had a lot to do with the Tigers performance.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                Also, for a full house, it was more like a morgue. And I am sure that this had a lot to do with the Tigers performance.
                Also, school wasn't in session.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Also, school wasn't in session.
                  game was sold out...it wasn't the norm, noise wise, & I missed that. Their "Corner Crew" when all are there, is fantastic. I don't get the, "they didn't looked interested" & "they were slow", comments. It's not what I saw...at the game. I went away feeling that I had seen a terrific hockey game played by 2 teams that wanted it. And yes, RIT did appear out of gas half-way through the 3rd. Credit RPI for that. I agree with AD, when a shot rings off the post/crossbar, it is because that's all the goalie allowed the shooter...hence it's not even credited as a SOG.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    game was sold out...it wasn't the norm, noise wise, & I missed that. Their "Corner Crew" when all are there, is fantastic. I don't get the, "they didn't looked interested" & "they were slow", comments. It's not what I saw...at the game. I went away feeling that I had seen a terrific hockey game played by 2 teams that wanted it. And yes, RIT did appear out of gas half-way through the 3rd. Credit RPI for that. I agree with AD, when a shot rings off the post/crossbar, it is because that's all the goalie allowed the shooter...hence it's not even credited as a SOG.
                    I realize that it was sold out. I just meant that students typically make more noise than townies.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I realize that it was sold out. I just meant that students typically make more noise than townies.
                      it wasn't directed at your post RB. Just used it as a take-off point.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

it wasn't directed at your post RB. Just used it as a take-off point.
                        No problem.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree with AD
                          Thank God for Turk..he's the only one that likes me on the board, that includes my brother.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            You won't see the trap because they don't have a neutral zone!
                            /lamejoke
                            Now that I've been to RIT and seen their rink, this makes sense. I didn't realize that it was smaller-but it looked tiny! Not to rain on our parade, but I wonder if that's why we had more energy at the end of the game than we normally do/than RIT did-we're used to skating further distances each shift? Still thought it was a terrific effort by our boys, and the fact that we scored more than one goal is fantastic-I was beginning to worry someone had convinced them it wasn't allowed!

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                              Now that I've been to RIT and seen their rink, this makes sense. I didn't realize that it was smaller-but it looked tiny! Not to rain on our parade, but I wonder if that's why we had more energy at the end of the game than we normally do/than RIT did-we're used to skating further distances each shift? Still thought it was a terrific effort by our boys, and the fact that we scored more than one goal is fantastic-I was beginning to worry someone had convinced them it wasn't allowed!
                              I have not seen us outskated expect for Union game. IMO we are a good skating team just had problems finishing.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

The game was good if it instills some confidence in the team.

Having read DrD's medical posts and listened to comments by SA, it wouldn't surprise me if Matt Neal was finished for the season.
                                RB-I know nothing of the injury except what has been reported but it does appear this ankle injury, whatever it is, has become both lingering and problematic. Saying that he might be back after Christmas is basically saying he will return after at least 1/2 the season is gone (assuming 36 games roughly). I would love him back this week for Princeton-but it appears this is not to be. Ankle injuries are among the most difficult to predict recovery-since much of the time it is all ligamental damage. I just want him back healthy whenever that is-he will be a valuable addition on this team.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X