PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

FreshFish
11-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Lots of Ned stories around.

I like the story about the 1954 championship in Colorado Springs. If I recall it correctly, we had a relatively thin bench, and the altitude was getting to the players (if you have never been at altitude, you can have no idea what a difference it makes!). He brought in a tank and a regulator and told them it was oxygen. It was just a tank. Apparently the players found out it was an empty tank and their annoyance with Ned gave them the adrenaline they needed to find a second wind.

PS I have several altitude stories of my own. the one that really convinced me how big a difference it makes: in my younger days I was an okay swimmer, I could swim two lengths of a 25-yard pool underwater. When we were in Wyoming, the first time I went swimming I could barely finish half a length.

FreshFish
11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
One wonders where this program would have been without him?

If I recall my lore correctly, there might not be any program at all without him, no?

Ralph Baer
11-30-2011, 10:33 PM
If I recall my lore correctly, there might not be any program at all without him, no?

Correct

DrDemento
12-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I like the story about the 1954 championship in Colorado Springs. If I recall it correctly, we had a relatively thin bench, and the altitude was getting to the players (if you have never been at altitude, you can have no idea what a difference it makes!). He brought in a tank and a regulator and told them it was oxygen. It was just a tank. Apparently the players found out it was an empty tank and their annoyance with Ned gave them the adrenaline they needed to find a second wind.

PS I have several altitude stories of my own. the one that really convinced me how big a difference it makes: in my younger days I was an okay swimmer, I could swim two lengths of a 25-yard pool underwater. When we were in Wyoming, the first time I went swimming I could barely finish half a length.

I can add one more note about sports at altitude. I was a fairly decent long distance runner when younger and could compete fairly well in high school in the mile and cross country and one marathon. I tried the run at Pike's Peak once and could not make it up beyond half way. I realized later why trees do not grow much about 12,000 feet. Thought my lungs were just going to explode. I had heard the story about Ned in 1954 but never knew if it was true.

Ralph Baer
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I can add one more note about sports at altitude. I was a fairly decent long distance runner when younger and could compete fairly well in high school in the mile and cross country and one marathon. I tried the run at Pike's Peak once and could not make it up beyond half way. I realized later why trees do not grow much about 12,000 feet. Thought my lungs were just going to explode. I had heard the story about Ned in 1954 but never knew if it was true. Ned has stated that story, but this is the first time that I have heard that the players knew it was empty during the game.

FreshFish
12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Ned has stated that story, but this is the first time that I have heard that the players knew it was empty during the game.

I may have misinterpreted that detail since I was writing from memory not from having double-checked source material first.

http://www.rpihockey.net/article.php?id=2259

FlagDUDE08
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I wonder if there are any coaches (whether in the college game or elsewhere) that still do anything like that...

FlagDUDE08
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Wait a second... who tagged RFalph?! :eek:

Ralph Baer
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Wait a second... who tagged RFalph?! :eek:

I hadn't noticed that. :eek:

DrDemento
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I wonder if there are any coaches (whether in the college game or elsewhere) that still do anything like that...

If they did do those things.....I would hire them in a heartbeat.

FlagDUDE08
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
If they did do those things.....I would hire them in a heartbeat.

Did Adessa do any of that? I remember hearing (I believe it was from turk or his buddy, but don't quote me on that) that instead of Herbies, with Adessa it was going up and down Hoosick Street after a bad game.

Ralph Baer
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Did Adessa do any of that? I remember hearing (I believe it was from turk or his buddy, but don't quote me on that) that instead of Herbies, with Adessa it was going up and down Hoosick Street after a bad game. Someone, I think it was Ken Hammond, mentioned that or something similar in the Legends of '85 panel discussion http://www.rpitv.org/productions/276-legends-of-85-panel-discussion. (My recollection was People Avenue, but you could be right about Hoosick.)

FlagDUDE08
12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Someone, I think it was Ken Hammond, mentioned that or something similar in the Legends of '85 panel discussion http://www.rpitv.org/productions/276-legends-of-85-panel-discussion. (My recollection was People Avenue, but you could be right about Hoosick.)

Peoples would probably be a bit safer, at least in terms of traffic. Granted, I don't know when the Collar City Bridge became very popular at night (Wikipedia says 1981, but Alternate 7 wasn't made yet, it only connected to 787).

AspyDad
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Did Adessa do any of that? I remember hearing (I believe it was from turk or his buddy, but don't quote me on that) that instead of Herbies, with Adessa it was going up and down Hoosick Street after a bad game.

Big Mike was hockey's Bobby Knight. He was a winner though.

troyboy
12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Big Mike was hockey's Bobby Knight. He was a winner though. Rumor has it that big Mike used to keep the visitors locker room around 85-90 degrees to make sure they kept a good sweat going !

DrDemento
12-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Rumor has it that big Mike used to keep the visitors locker room around 85-90 degrees to make sure they kept a good sweat going !

Coaches have been doing things like that forever. At princeton, for many years, the visiting team came onto the ice from one of the corners-the rubber mat to walk onto the ice always had a section missing of about 15 feet where the team had to walk on bare concrete-I am sure that did wonders for their skate blades.;)

FreshFish
12-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Coaches have been doing things like that forever.

I seem to recall reading in multiple places the Hayden Frye, the long-time head football coach* at the Univ of Iowa, had the walls of the visitors' locker room painted pink!

(the theory being that the color would influence the players' aggressiveness by moderating it)

* suuposedly he was the inspiration for the Craig T. Nelson character in the TV sitcom Coach.

FlagDUDE08
12-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Big Mike was hockey's Bobby Knight. He was a winner though.

He threw benches on the ice and got thrown out of a lot of games? :D

Ralph Baer
12-02-2011, 07:07 AM
He threw benches on the ice and got thrown out of a lot of games? :D

Not exactly. :p

FlagDUDE08
12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Not exactly. :p

That's all I remember about Bobby Knight.