X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
    Im guessing if this were to happen there would be some kind of merger with the western based AHA schools, maybe BGSU out of the WCHA and Buffalo if they get a program going for a new 10 or 12 team ECAC.
    Even more of a reason to join HEA.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Also some interesting results from last nights games featuring ECAC teams, AIC shuts out Brown 3-0 and 0-11 Sacred Heart upsets Yale 7-6, while being outshot something like 53-19
      I went to the AIC/Brown game. Schadenfreude enveloped me like a warm blanket.
      RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
      UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Im guessing if this were to happen there would be some kind of merger with the western based AHA schools, maybe BGSU out of the WCHA and Buffalo if they get a program going for a new 10 or 12 team ECAC. I dont think Hobart or Skidmore will ever move hockey to D1. Hobarts rink only seats 500 and im sure Skidmore has the same issue.

Also some interesting results from last nights games featuring ECAC teams, AIC shuts out Brown 3-0 and 0-11 Sacred Heart upsets Yale 7-6, while being outshot something like 53-19
        THAT must be why we're 2-10... the world is going to you-know-what.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          THAT must be why we're 2-10... the world is going to you-know-what.
          Maybe true. Especially since i agree where this world is heading. But I prefer to think that we are 2-10 because all of our scoring potential is centered in the freshman class and much of that was out hurt (and some still is). If you remove the empty net goals from our totals, our goals against average is fine and definitely not what one would expect from a team with only 2 victories. We lost our upperclass offense with the early departure to the NHL of our 2 scoring threats leaving us without much offense in that class.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Maybe true. Especially since i agree where this world is heading. But I prefer to think that we are 2-10 because all of our scoring potential is centered in the freshman class and much of that was out hurt (and some still is). If you remove the empty net goals from our totals, our goals against average is fine and definitely not what one would expect from a team with only 2 victories. We lost our upperclass offense with the early departure to the NHL of our 2 scoring threats leaving us without much offense in that class.
            Doc, I agree with everything that you say, but at some point, we have to play with the guys we have.
            Tim Tebow has won games because his coaches have given him an offensive system that suits his abilities.
            Our offense is predictable and based on players that have gone on to bigger/better things.
            I am hoping that we are working on our systems during this hiatus.
            I know that we have players who can score, now we need to put them in a position to do so.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Even I know this is true, DrD, I was pulling the sarcasm string, hence the rolling of the eyes. However, EHF is absolutely right. We need to play with what we have now. Oh, the juniors and seniors aren't producing? Let's turn to the younger ones. Heck, we're far enough into the season, and they're acclimated. Let's see what they can REALLY do.

Comment

We need to play with what we have now.
                Oh, the juniors and seniors aren't producing? Let's turn to the younger ones.
                You're slipping back into non-sequitur statements again.

EHF isn't saying that we need to turn to the younger players, he's saying that we need an offensive system that utilizes the skills of our current players. That may mean that we need a "greasier" style (to quote Chris Lerch from yesterday's podcast) or maybe it means that we need a different breakout pattern. A power play strategy where the puck gets worked around on one side and then gets sent across to the opposite face-off circle for a one-time slapshot by Chase isn't going to work anymore. Switch it up. Put in something new. Utilize the skills that we do have. That's what he's trying to say. (I'm assuming.)
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

On another note, the RPI Alumni Association, Hartford Chapter is hosting a pre-game event on Saturday 12/3, starting at 6PM prior to the QU/RPI game. The reception will be in the "Bobcat Den" (how quaint) at the QU rink - $10 at the door includes pre-game "light" fare (Hotdogs, chicken fingers, fries, poppers, meatballs, chili, etc). As an added bonus, they sell beer & wine in the Bobcat Den - As close as you will get to drinking at an ECAC hockey game.

Discount game tickets also available:
                  RPI Alumni Website

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post

EHF isn't saying that we need to turn to the younger players, he's saying that we need an offensive system that utilizes the skills of our current players. That may mean that we need a "greasier" style (to quote Chris Lerch from yesterday's podcast) or maybe it means that we need a different breakout pattern. A power play strategy where the puck gets worked around on one side and then gets sent across to the opposite face-off circle for a one-time slapshot by Chase isn't going to work anymore. Switch it up. Put in something new. Utilize the skills that we do have. That's what he's trying to say. (I'm assuming.)
                    I think we need to go to the "greasier" spots in front of the net for sure. One thing I would do is move bailen down where CP use to play by the dot and let him hammer away. Bailen has the shot and the accuracy to fill that area. I would have Patty K. quaterback the PP. He (PK) has made some good passes on the PP this year. Particulary good at that back door pass. Also Bailen has a quick release that is lacking for us. We are trying to be too fine.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Just listen to the Lerch podcast on the ever informative and groundbreaking WaP and the RIT coach talked about them taking more shots. I think we need to do that also. Maybe trying to be too fine. I believe in this group of guys. Nobody plays harder that Paddy Cullen. We'll right this ship.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Safe trips to those travelling.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          I think we need to go to the "greasier" spots in front of the net for sure. One thing I would do is move bailen down where CP use to play by the dot and let him hammer away. Bailen has the shot and the accuracy to fill that area. I would have Patty K. quaterback the PP. He (PK) has made some good passes on the PP this year. Particulary good at that back door pass. Also Bailen has a quick release that is lacking for us. We are trying to be too fine.
                          Agree completely on Bailen since I mentioned it posts ago. He has the one timer as seen in the ot game winner against Union . Some tip in practice is way overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post

That is exactly what I am trying to say.
                            But you made it clearer.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Heres an injury update from Ken Schott: Pat Cullen is out with an upper body injury and wont make the trip to RIT, Matt Neal likely out until after Christmas.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-hockey-teams/

Comment

Heres an injury update from Ken Schott: Pat Cullen is out with an upper body injury and wont make the trip to RIT, Matt Neal likely out until after Christmas.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-hockey-teams/
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X