X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
    Shiny philosophical answer: because things in this world aren't fair and decisions are rarely based on logically-sound premises.

Real answer: Like anything else in the world, I think it will matter to HE whether or not they can expand the "brand" of HE hockey by including RPI into the mix or if financially it would benefit the league. Though I think it is a perfect fit (apart from the academic profile of RPI, which I absolutely believe matches up better with the ECAC than HE), some will debate whether we will really add anything, geographic location, our recent relative lack of big success, etc. In other words: I haven't heard a solid argument AGAINST RPI being included in the HEA.
    We do match up better academically with the ECAC. Also, RPI is a private school which matches better with the ECAC since only 2 HEA schools are private, non-church schools. Be that as it may, for the long-term health of the hockey, it's to our advantage to move. What we have to do is convince the HEA that we are the best candidate.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
      Shiny philosophical answer: because things in this world aren't fair and decisions are rarely based on logically-sound premises.

Real answer: Like anything else in the world, I think it will matter to HE whether or not they can expand the "brand" of HE hockey by including RPI into the mix or if financially it would benefit the league. Though I think it is a perfect fit (apart from the academic profile of RPI, which I absolutely believe matches up better with the ECAC than HE), some will debate whether we will really add anything, geographic location, our recent relative lack of big success, etc. In other words: I haven't heard a solid argument AGAINST RPI being included in the HEA.
      Though I've beaten a hole in my Hockey East drum, I'll chime in anyways. Our poor performance this year doesn't help in terms of admission to HE, but I don't think it is the predominant factor in determining worthiness to join the conference. Every team has good and bad years, and a team should be selected based on the whole package, rather than a moment in time.

RPI of all of the potential programs is the best fit for HE as is. Basically the only changes required are the specifics with rebranding and restructuring as an HE team. RPI is accepted into the conference, and boom, we are a Hockey East team with fanbase, venue, and team intact. The only downside is that outside of history, fanbase, and a decent historical reputation in college hockey, we might not offer HE the kind of brand image they are looking for.

Teams like UConn or Syracuse would be a dream come true for Hockey East. Huge national reputation, much more likely to draw in a casual fan/television viewer. The problem is that either of these teams would need to overcome massive financial and organizational hurdles to have a competitive team in HE (or even a team at all). As unlikely as either option is, if HE has aspirations of branding their league by bringing in "BCS" teams, then none of the small fish are going to have a shot. HE will tread water with 11 until one of the big boys steps up.

In my opinion, any selection of Holy Cross or Quinnipiac is New England homerism and little else. HC would have to overcome their share of financial hurdles to get up to snuff. Qpac, outside of technically being a D1 school, adds about as much to the HE brand as RPI, but brings a smaller fanbase, and less history.

I take anything I have heard about Cornell with a very,very large grain of salt, just because of the Ivy association. If they were legit, that would be a very real threat. Lynah may be small, but their fanbase is massive, and they have history, recent success, and a bigger national hockey rep. Again, I highly doubt that would happen, but who the hell knows...
      RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
      UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
        I take anything I have heard about Cornell with a very,very large grain of salt, just because of the Ivy association. If they were legit, that would be a very real threat. Lynah may be small, but their fanbase is massive, and they have history, recent success, and a bigger national hockey rep. Again, I highly doubt that would happen, but who the hell knows...
        To me Cornell is even less likely than Harvard, and it won't be Harvard. The Ivies are just not breaking up. If we think that RPI will have it tough convining our admins that we should leave the ECAC, an Ivy school would have it much tougher.

Then again, perhaps SUNY-Ithaca will break away from the rest of Cornell and join HEA.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
          So if Merrimack can earn top honors after having a poor record just 4 or so years ago, why wouldn't HE consider RPI? We will have a bright future either way, I'm just asking in case I missed something...
          OK - I'll bite considering I was the one who memorialized the question in black and white the other day. Let me re-write what you wrote with minor modification...."So if RPI earned top honors after having a poor record just 4 or so years ago, why wouldnt HE have admitted RPI already ?" I still think that we make great sense in HE and I also think makes fantastic sense for us to be there. I am still hopeful that a move comes to fruition. All I was trying to say is that some may just look at our record and note that we are struggling a bit right now and question what it is that we bring today to the table in terms of making the league more competitie rather than diluting, and why our move makes economic sense for every other team in the league.

I absolutely agree with you that anyone who spends any time with Knowlton, Appert, or any of the kids would see that we have an incredibly bright future. The current record just makes a bit more difficult of a sell to all of the other schools in the league. Then again, as Ralph keeps reminding me, SA can sell snow to eskimos....

I'm kind getting the itch after not being to a game since the last weekend home game, and miss seeing all of you. Hope all is well and that everyone has a great Thanksgiving, and looking forward to catching up on the other side.

BTW Babo - did you ever get credit for that point and have posted to your stat sheet ?
          Last edited by Senna; 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Back to the "what if" game. I realize it's moot because you can't change the past, but I'll ask anyway, as it could have an impact on our future (or at least our perception of it): What if JL had shown up as a freshman last year or the year before? Would we have had the same scoring difficulties this year? Even Chase Polacek only scored 7 goals his freshman year (Helfrich had 9), and 11 his sophomore year (Helfrich with 5, Cullen with 10).

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              To me Cornell is even less likely than Harvard, and it won't be Harvard. The Ivies are just not breaking up. If we think that RPI will have it tough convining our admins that we should leave the ECAC, an Ivy school would have it much tougher.

Then again, perhaps SUNY-Ithaca will break away from the rest of Cornell and join HEA.
              I agree with you completely. Cornell is not breaking its ivy ties. I addressed it only because the rumor mill has brought it up a few times. Though I have no intention of venturing over to the Ivory Tower, I wonder what people at eLynah have to say about HE expansion. My guess is that many of the Lynah faithful would be against leaving the other Ivies in hockey.
              RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
              UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Agree, there is no way the Ivies are breaking up. If anything I think with all the realignment and TV deals going down, the chances of seeing the Ivies break off and start their own conference is better then its ever been. If RPI says "no thanks" to Hockey East again and we see an Ivy Hockey League start up where does that leave RPI...

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                  Agree, there is no way the Ivies are breaking up. If anything I think with all the realignment and TV deals going down, the chances of seeing the Ivies break off and start their own conference is better then its ever been. If RPI says "no thanks" to Hockey East again and we see an Ivy Hockey League start up where does that leave RPI...
                  In the Liberty Hockey League?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree with you completely. Cornell is not breaking its ivy ties. I addressed it only because the rumor mill has brought it up a few times. Though I have no intention of venturing over to the Ivory Tower, I wonder what people at eLynah have to say about HE expansion. My guess is that many of the Lynah faithful would be against leaving the other Ivies in hockey.
                    Better watch what you say about Those Who Will Not Be Besmirched... otherwise TimV will show up, whine at you, and then demand that you put him on ignore.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      Better watch what you say about Those Who Will Not Be Besmirched... otherwise TimV will show up, whine at you, and then demand that you put him on ignore.
                      Better than HokyDad. At least TimV stands behind a team and not just in front of one.

Comment

http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,169790 There are several posts from people who surprisingly would be sad if we left starting on 9/28/11. Some discussion about the Cornell rumor starts on 10/3/11.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Better than HokyDad. At least TimV stands behind a team and not just in front of one.
                          daDykoH

Related:
                          Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                            OK - I'll bite considering I was the one who memorialized the question in black and white the other day. Let me re-write what you wrote with minor modification...."So if RPI earned top honors after having a poor record just 4 or so years ago, why wouldnt HE have admitted RPI already ?" I still think that we make great sense in HE and I also think makes fantastic sense for us to be there. I am still hopeful that a move comes to fruition. All I was trying to say is that some may just look at our record and note that we are struggling a bit right now and question what it is that we bring today to the table in terms of making the league more competitie rather than diluting, and why our move makes economic sense for every other team in the league.

I absolutely agree with you that anyone who spends any time with Knowlton, Appert, or any of the kids would see that we have an incredibly bright future. The current record just makes a bit more difficult of a sell to all of the other schools in the league. Then again, as Ralph keeps reminding me, SA can sell snow to eskimos....

I'm kind getting the itch after not being to a game since the last weekend home game, and miss seeing all of you. Hope all is well and that everyone has a great Thanksgiving, and looking forward to catching up on the other side.

BTW Babo - did you ever get credit for that point and have posted to your stat sheet ?
                            I'm eager to see how the boys come off the by weekend... I'll be in Tochester and look forward to seeing Turk and others...

I did get points added! And since it was soooo easily finagled, I'm going to go back and ask for more to be added (kind of like: vote early and vote often)

Comment

WaP is having a podcast today at 4 PM EST with Chris Lerch of USCHO. http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/11/...ris-lerch.html
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                We have "straight" people on here. How about JCrawford, GRussinko, realet, fr joe, Senna, cmmarkham, and quite a few others I know I'm forgetting? We don't hear from them as often as the sarcastic ones you mentioned, but what they post has always been quite informative.

Obligatory mention of AspyDad, troyboy, and babo, just because.
                                FD-I just think there is a big difference between "straight' people and a straight man (as in a foil for all the sarcastic comments). We have lots of valuable posters and we seem to add more each year.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X