X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    SA may have thought that D'Amigo and Pirri would be playing. I do think that he probably felt the hard schedule was good in any case.
    Maybe........it also could have been Monty who set the schedule!
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
      With all due respect Doc, why play such a tough schedule against ranked teams with this team? It seems the offense is young and will take some time. Last year was different with regards to playing a tough schedule since we won some games and hence an at large bid in the NCAA Tournament due to some of those wins.....but the team had experience!

This is a new year. A tough schedule for experience???? As it stands now, some of the better players have been injured and not been able to compete against the ranked teams....so how does it help "the team"?

I shudder to think of where the confidence level of this team is......and confidence is not a switch you can turn off and on. Sorry....but just an opinion.
      I feel that year in, year out, we should be scheduling the toughest teams that we can find. When OOC schedules are drawn up, there is no way to know what to expect from next seasons' team. Defections, injuries, etc, happen all the time, and you just have to roll with it. In some seasons, like this one, you get burned by inexperience and injuries, and team confidence takes a hit. In the long term, though, players adapt to playing at a higher level.

I would much rather build scheduling relationships and rivalries with teams like CC and Notre Dame, than lower level teams in Atlantic Hockey. Games against highly ranked teams draw more attention from media, fans, and potential recruits. Plus, if we hope to win a national title, we're going to need to beat top teams. We might get owned more often than not, but when we do make the dance, at least we are less likely to be completely caught off guard.

I think Seth and Co have the right idea.
      RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
      UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

The bottom line is, if you want to be considered an elite program, you have to beat other elite programs. You cannot beat an elite program if you don't play one.
        This is a process, and we have had the recruiting classes to compete against the best. Injuries and defections aside, we have to play these teams if we want to be considered one of them.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

On another note, a quick thank you to our realet, along with all other veterans and those currently enlisted.
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Concur with others, you need to play the best to become the best to beat the best.

From my perspective, I do not see "confidence" as a problem. SA has already touched upon what I would anticipate would be the bigger problem, and that is "frustration." He called it "gripping the stick too tightly," others call it "pressing" or "trying too hard." That kind of feeling sometimes does feed upon itself, though eventually you work your way through it.

Let's assume these are young men of drive and character. Given that, I would suspect that the early-season schedule will then result in a more resilient, determined team down the road.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
              Disagreeing with my comment that confidence is not a switch you turn on or off
              I thought I had replied to hockeymascot, how did you get involved?

Anyway, setting that quibble aside.....

I did NOT disagree with that comment! If you look back you will see that I DID agree with that comment. I then said that I thought it did not apply in this case , to this team.

For all of us, our perspective is shaped by our life experience. I've been in this situation in my own athletic career and for me it was rarely a question of whether I would eventually succeed, but how would I go about doing it.
              Last edited by FreshFish; 11-11-2011, 07:57 AM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                On another note, a quick thank you to our realet, along with all other veterans and those currently enlisted.
                Concur. Great point B12. I would also note that babo also had a distinguished military career. Thanks for your service all.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  Maybe........it also could have been Monty who set the schedule!
                  Passive aggressive.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    Passive aggressive.
                    Don't confuse me any more than I already am!!! Here's to back on track this weekend.....starting tonight!
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

If you want to watch your team beat up the little sisters of the poor every week, take a run up to Schenectady.

Beating weak teams loses its thrill after a while.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        If you want to watch your team beat up the little sisters of the poor every week, take a run up to Schenectady.

Beating weak teams loses its thrill after a while.
                        Why does RIT continuously (or at least continuously report to) sellout? And yes, I realize our seating capacity is more than double what theirs is... but they "beat up the little sisters of the poor every week".

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Why does RIT continuously (or at least continuously report to) sellout? And yes, I realize our seating capacity is more than double what theirs is... but they "beat up the little sisters of the poor every week".
                          This is one of the most ignorant statements you've ever made.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Really should not bother going into detail on this, but what the heck.

RIT Enrollment: 16,773. RIT Avg. 2010-11 Attendance: 2,528. Average attendance as a %age of enrollment: 15%.

RPI Enrollment: 7,521. RPI Avg. 2010-11 Attendance: 3,156. Average attendance as a %age of enrollment: 42%.

I understand that not all the attendees are students, but it's a decent starting point for comparison.

However, since RIT's rink is consistently sold out, it's hard to use that as a comparison until they have a large enough rink that it doesn't sell out every game. Then take a look. Even then, the Rochester metro area has 150,000 more residents than the Albany area, and the Amerks to compete with, as opposed to Union, the Devils, and the Phantoms, all of whom frequently play at the same time.
                            APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post

RPI Enrollment: 7,521. RPI Avg. 2010-11 Attendance: 3,156. Average attendance as a %age of enrollment: 42%.
                              GR-I had no idea our enrollment was that high. If asked i would have guessed about 5000.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

It's about 5500 undergrad, but I had no idea there were that many grad students on campus. They must be hiding.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X