X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    I think jmhusker was trying to negate the Tampa Bay / Philly standoff where the Lightning were placing five players in the neutral zone and continuously not attacking the puck. FlagDUDE suggested a warning on the first offense and then a penalty on the second. Something similar could be applied here where the coaches are warned if the linesmen / referees determine that the coaches are "not being aggressive enough" and then the rule could be applied.

And, no, I don't think that the situation described would fit the spirit of my description. It fits the letter of it. Primarily because I was just putting down a rough interpretation of somebody else's idea. I'm sure if it's worded properly and expressed plainly enough, then it could potentially be applied (not that I think it's the best idea, but it's not my place to judge).

I actually see it as a situation fairly similar to the first time that delayed offsides was implemented (since you brought it up). It was a rule change that required the linesmen to judge a player's actions and intentions to decide if they were attempting to follow the rules. This new anti-trap rule could potentially require another similar judgment call by the officials.
    The warning/minor situation I described is if a certain type of defense is played (i.e. zone vs. man-to-man). If a team is "not being aggressive enough", then isn't not scoring any goals punishment enough? I didn't see the Tampa/Philly game so I don't know your context...

Comment

Oops. Yea, of course the eligibility dates for the draft would be getting bigger, not smaller. Of course this is Schroeder's last year of eligiblity. To me, that increases the likelihood that he's getting a cursory glance, but he'll be looked at in more of an undrafted free agent type of role.
      Not many players are selected in their third year of eligibility.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        The warning/minor situation I described is if a certain type of defense is played (i.e. zone vs. man-to-man). If a team is "not being aggressive enough", then isn't not scoring any goals punishment enough? I didn't see the Tampa/Philly game so I don't know your context...
        I'm going to reference you to this post in the NHL thread.
        Originally posted by aparch View Post
        NHL.com has it on their front page. Multiple times.

Here's the first (and most blatant) just seconds into the game:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvqpa0k4X1M

Another late in the first period:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z377hc_LPdc

What the fans saw during the game:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXxr5pg7Vo

Is the system that each team has acceptable? Sure. But when you get two stubborn a**holes who want to make their point, this is what happens. The Flyers had plenty of chances to move the puck up ice (thanks to the abolishment of the two line pass) where the Flyers camped at the TB blue line were fairly open for a direct pass. The Lightning forward had PLENTY of room to wander up to sorta forecheck and force the Flyers to either pass it to one another, or turn over the puck.

But no.

Obviously teams can defeat the 1-3-1 (Boston did), and teams can beat the 2-2-1 (Blackhawks did). Thank GOD we didn't see a 0-5-0 or 1-4-0. Although that may have been entertaining.
        For the record, the Lightning won that game 2-1.

In response to your question, all you need is one goal. Gum up the neutral zone, force a turnover, get a breakaway goal, lather, rinse, and repeat. That's why some people see this as "ZOMG THE WURST THING TO HAPPEN TO HOCKKKKKEY EVAR!!!!11!!"

My thinking is more along the lines of, find the flaws, exploit them, and beat them!
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

In response to your question, all you need is one goal. Gum up the neutral zone, force a turnover, get a breakaway goal, lather, rinse, and repeat. That's why some people see this as "ZOMG THE WURST THING TO HAPPEN TO HOCKKKKKEY EVAR!!!!11!!"

My thinking is more along the lines of, find the flaws, exploit them, and beat them!
          Isn't that how Cornell plays?

Comment

Now all we need to see is a 2-3 zone and that team to have a long-time coach that picks his nose on camera.

Comment

Which is certainly possible, as has been shown by several teams. Heck, even RPI managed it against Brown, who pulled out the 1-3-1 a few times. I think this is maybe getting more attention than it warrants: Philly wanted to lodge a complaint, and they did so. As long as every team playing the Lightning doesn't try to copy them, it's not the end of the world.

Although maybe a little preventative maintenance is a good thing...we certainly don't want the entire NHL to start running traps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                You're right about last year, my bad, though last year was pretty good with Higgs, Koudys and LeBoeuf. Also, Dolan and Rogic have contributed. Not a top 15, but pretty good. My point is, most observers believe the coaches are getting the kind of players to be successfull. Everyboday loses good kids to graduation every year and the best programs lose kids early sometimes. I tend to believe that Coach Appert was right when he said that Polacek made JDA and Pirri look good. Polacek was just that good of a college player. The graduation of Polacek and Helfrich is a much bigger loss than the other two. Maybe everything just fell right last year and the program arrived a year or two early. I think much of what is going on here is pure frustration and disappointment after such a good year. A 2-10 start, another loss to Unon and disapointing play from the upperclass forwards is not what we all expected. I didn't think we would win the ECAC and waltz into the post-season, but I expected this team to be a factor in the league. So far, they have not shown that to be the case. Let's hope this next six weeks away from HFH gets them going in a positive direction. Go Red.
                I was kind of expecting Brock Higgs to step up and be the high scorer this year. Maybe it's that he was out so long with the broken hand, or maybe the same is true with him as was with Brandon and Jerry-that Chase made him look good-but I still think he has it in him. I think it's mostly psychological at this point-watching the past few games, you could see the frustration written all over his face every time he failed to score. If he gets just one goal, maybe even an assist, some of that internal pressure might come off and it will really help his game.

Comment

I'm going to reference you to this post in the NHL thread.

For the record, the Lightning won that game 2-1.
                  OK, that sort of thing should fall under any rules (if there are any) about holding the puck behind the net waiting for a forechecker to chase you. There is a rule (though rarely enforced) that says you may bring the puck back into your own zone to re-group once, but no time constraints. Looks like no one wanted to win that game, at least from the looks of the first period.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                    I was kind of expecting Brock Higgs to step up and be the high scorer this year. Maybe it's that he was out so long with the broken hand, or maybe the same is true with him as was with Brandon and Jerry-that Chase made him look good-but I still think he has it in him. I think it's mostly psychological at this point-watching the past few games, you could see the frustration written all over his face every time he failed to score. If he gets just one goal, maybe even an assist, some of that internal pressure might come off and it will really help his game.
                    Unless you mean that Chase drew the best defense, I don't see how, given they were on different lines (at least most of the time).

Comment

OK, that sort of thing should fall under any rules (if there are any) about holding the puck behind the net waiting for a forechecker to chase you. There is a rule (though rarely enforced) that says you may bring the puck back into your own zone to re-group once, but no time constraints. Looks like no one wanted to win that game, at least from the looks of the first period.
                      This blog post / editorial says that there is and that's the rule that was applied / why the whistle was blown.

There was another article on SI.com (I think) that had a better response and stated the case that there shouldn't be a rule change, but I can't find it right now. The SI.com article also stated that the "stand-off" only accounted for 3.5 minutes of game play, out of more than 62 and only one minute after the first intermission. So, it's not like this was happening every thirty seconds of the game for the whole game, but it did happen multiple times, so it's getting lots of attention.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

This blog post / editorial says that there is and that's the rule that was applied / why the whistle was blown.

There was another article on SI.com (I think) that had a better response and stated the case that there shouldn't be a rule change, but I can't find it right now. The SI.com article also stated that the "stand-off" only accounted for 3.5 minutes of game play, out of more than 62 and only one minute after the first intermission. So, it's not like this was happening every thirty seconds of the game for the whole game, but it did happen multiple times, so it's getting lots of attention.
                        I wonder what would happen if we did that against an ECAC team's trap...

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                          Not sure here-I like a lot of the kids we have in the junior and senior classes but after 2-3 years of time playing in Troy it is obvious that they are just not scorers or finishers. For a few games we can blame it on bad luck or a hot goalie-but when you have fellows who just do not score after a year or more-you just have to think that they just do not have the touch. I am convinced though that we have those scoring types in the freshman recruited class this year. It is only a matter of time before they make their presence known on the scoreboard. I know coach SA feels the upper classes have to lead-and perhaps they will on defense and checking. But the scoring punch on this team is located in the freshman class and we will have to wait for that to just take hold. Just my 2¢
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Not sure here-I like a lot of the kids we have in the junior and senior classes but after 2-3 years of time playing in Troy it is obvious that they are just not scorers or finishers. For a few games we can blame it on bad luck or a hot goalie-but when you have fellows who just do not score after a year or more-you just have to think that they just do not have the touch. I am convinced though that we have those scoring types in the freshman recruited class this year. It is only a matter of time before they make their presence known on the scoreboard. I know coach SA feels the upper classes have to lead-and perhaps they will on defense and checking. But the scoring punch on this team is located in the freshman class and we will have to wait for that to just take hold. Just my 2¢
                            That opinion is worth at least a nickle these days.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder what would happen if we did that against an ECAC team's trap...
                              Here's me just looking for some feedback/opinion out of curiosity on a silly event that happened in the NHL... and it starts a legit conversation
                              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                                Here's me just looking for some feedback/opinion out of curiosity on a silly event that happened in the NHL... and it starts a legit conversation
                                It's common knowledge that a good number of teams in the ECAC play the trap. We play in the ECAC. Why shouldn't it be legit?

Comment

Working...
                                X