Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    You've been well trained.
    I learn from the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Oh, I see it's March already. Welcome back, Mark. Liar.
      I must have fallen asleep again.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-18-2011, 09:15 AM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
        To divert away to the pros for a minute, what is everyone's stance on the whole Tampa Bay Lightning using nothing but the 1-3-1 trap issue? There's a lot of discussion about possible rule changes/refs watching for it specifically in the NHL right now due to the fact that it makes games uninteresting, makes teams like the Flyers not advance the puck because they're sick of that defensive measure, etc etc. and it just got me thinking about college hockey defense in general and how different it is from the pros.
        When I saw the story about that game, I wondered about this situation for a few moments.....what kind of 'rule change' might you implement?

I thought that changing the offsides rule to allow for a two-line (or even three-line!) pass would be sufficient?

Might one simply loft the puck down ice and have someone take off like mad to retrieve it to beat the trap?? The loft both giving your teammate more time to get there and also to allow for potentially funky bounces?

Or the way TB sat back and waited while Philly had the puck in their own zone, just put three players at the TB blue line and loft the puck from your own end? The trap only works against moving the puck at ice level, no? isn't it vulnerable to an aerial attack?

I suppose something like the old 'flying wedge' from 1930s college football is illegal? (if TB sits back in the trap start three skaters up ice together with a 4th behind them carrying the puck).
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          When I saw the story about that game, I wondered about this situation for a few moments.....what kind of 'rule change' might you implement?

I thought that changing the offsides rule to allow for a two-line (or even three-line!) pass would be sufficient?

Might one simply loft the puck down ice and have someone take off like mad to retrieve it to beat the trap?? The loft both giving your teammate more time to get there and also to allow for potentially funky bounces?

Or the way TB sat back and waited while Philly had the puck in their own zone, just put three players at the TB blue line and loft the puck from your own end? The trap only works against moving the puck at ice level, no? isn't it vulnerable to an aerial attack?

I suppose something like the old 'flying wedge' from 1930s college football is illegal? (if TB sits back in the trap start three skaters up ice together with a 4th behind them carrying the puck).
          I think it'd be enforced similar to how "illegal defense" was enforced in the NBA: first offense warning, second offense team technical foul. Obviously in hockey's case it would be a bench minor. However, I don't see how it could be enforced, because there's no way (other than a zone defense, which is what the 1-3-1 is) to effectively play a penalty kill. What, are we now going to see penalty shots become the new "free throws"?

Comment

Ver
            Also thank you to FF for your words (although... I think a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is in order for some of that
            To digress from hockey for one more moment.....subtlety and nuance are not your strong suit.

Not a criticism merely an observation, no doubt you yourself might agree.

Now back to hockey.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I think that our offense is going to break out vs. Bye this evening.
              Unfortunately, I see another 0-goal weekend
              To divert away to the pros for a minute, what is everyone's stance on the whole Tampa Bay Lightning using nothing but the 1-3-1 trap issue? There's a lot of discussion about possible rule changes/refs watching for it specifically in the NHL right now due to the fact that it makes games uninteresting, makes teams like the Flyers not advance the puck because they're sick of that defensive measure, etc etc. and it just got me thinking about college hockey defense in general and how different it is from the pros.
              I think that Guy Boucher is using the 1-3-1 primarily because his defensive corps is depleted. I agree with FlagDUDE that there is likely a weakness in the system. Find it and beat it.

Also, if the 1-3-1 is so effective, then why is Tampa not in the playoffs if the season ended today? To your other point, the Flyers not advancing the puck is like someone sitting in the corner of the playground pouting and saying "I'm not playing four-square with you because you're not playing the right way." It's not the right way to bring attention to it and it makes both teams look like spoiled brats.
              No one commented upon this yesterday. Ryan Haggerty was passed over last year. Does anyone think that he is likely to be selected this year.
              I'm not in the mind of a scout, but I think it's more likely that a team will keep him on their list as a player to look at and semi-pay attention to without drafting him as a potential undrafted free agent pick up in a couple years. If he does get drafted, I see it being much more likely that he'll be in the last two rounds than the first two.
              Also on another thought, York was returned to the Springfield Falcons in the AHL even though the Columbus Blue Jackets are struggling and he had the best record by numbers of any of the three goalies on that team. Thoughts on that?
              I see a goalie's W-L record much like I see a pitcher's W-L record, highly subjective and nearly useless. See: Merriam, Bryce; 2011-12

Also, York was brought in as an emergency back-up and was used when they realized that the #1 goalie was getting overworked and the injured goalies weren't about to come back. I think it makes more sense to return him to the Falcons and give him primary playing time than leave him up in Columbus and give him a spot-start here and there while spending most of the time riding the pine.
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Oh, I see it's March already. Welcome back, Mark. Liar.
                You were not going to respond to him at all. He is baiting you. Trying to draw you into a minor penalty. Please don't let him trick you again.

Comment

You were not going to respond to him at all. He is baiting you. Trying to draw you into a minor penalty. Please don't let him trick you again.
                  Two-minute minor on HerpyDerp for embellishment?
                  Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    I think that Guy Boucher is using the 1-3-1 primarily because his defensive corps is depleted. I agree with FlagDUDE that there is likely a weakness in the system. Find it and beat it.

Also, if the 1-3-1 is so effective, then why is Tampa not in the playoffs if the season ended today? To your other point, the Flyers not advancing the puck is like someone sitting in the corner of the playground pouting and saying "I'm not playing four-square with you because you're not playing the right way." It's not the right way to bring attention to it and it makes both teams look like spoiled brats.

I see a goalie's W-L record much like I see a pitcher's W-L record, highly subjective and nearly useless. See: Merriam, Bryce; 2011-12

Also, York was brought in as an emergency back-up and was used when they realized that the #1 goalie was getting overworked and the injured goalies weren't about to come back. I think it makes more sense to return him to the Falcons and give him primary playing time than leave him up in Columbus and give him a spot-start here and there while spending most of the time riding the pine.
                    Read my mind on all of this! Just curious as to what others' thoughts were, but I personally think you hit the nail on the head here.
                    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

I just realized something (I can't believe it took me this long): Perhaps there are times when other posters (including the two of us) are baiting? It's a little different because there is information that is constructive towards the conversations on here so you have to do some critical thinking...

Comment

Unfortunately, I see another 0-goal weekend
                        In that case, maybe I won't watch.
                        I'm not in the mind of a scout, but I think it's more likely that a team will keep him on their list as a player to look at and semi-pay attention to without drafting him as a potential undrafted free agent pick up in a couple years. If he does get drafted, I see it being much more likely that he'll be in the last two rounds than the first two.
                        He certainly has a chance to be drafted depending upon his performance the rest of the season. I agree that if he is drafted, it will be quite late in the draft.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I apologize if you missed it, but I gave on that strategy because I couldn't get everyone else to adhere to it.

If we can agree to all ignore him, I'd gladly join in.

And to your other point... I can be subtle and nuanced when I choose to be. I found after years of trying that it doesn't work to get the message across on this board.

Now, with any luck, we can put all of this behind us and move on. But I'm not holding my breath, unfortunately.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

In that case, maybe I won't watch.
                            He certainly has a chance to be drafted depending upon his performance the rest of the season. I agree that if he is drafted, it will be quite late in the draft.
                            Had the good fortune to be sitting near some scouts at the Union game - they seemed to be looking at Haggerty, Schroeder, Leonard, and one had Diebold circled but obviously didn't get to watch him play.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I apologize if you missed it, but I gave on that strategy because I couldn't get everyone else to adhere to it.

If we can agree to all ignore him, I'd gladly join in.
                              It is hard to ignore someone, especially when their arguments have such big holes, you could drive a zamboni through them.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                                Everyone is entitled to post here, positive and negative. It has become increasingly evident that you are moderator of this thread. Babo is right, if you disagree with a post, you state it and then attack, almost like you take it personally.
                                Had the good fortune to be sitting near some scouts at the Union game - they seemed to be looking at Haggerty, Schroeder, Leonard, and one had Diebold circled but obviously didn't get to watch him play.
                                Interesting. It would surprise me the most if Schroeder were taken.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X