X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Originally posted by rjohntute View Post
    I smell a sweet sweep this weekend. 3-2 against Yale and 2-1 against Brown. We're Yale's daddy. Brown is the one that worries me the most out of the two.
    We can only hope that will happen.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
      The games this weekend will be big for the team and its collective psyche...I'm sure coach has imparted their importance on the team and they take it seriously. This team is tough. talented and focused...their time is coming...oh, and thanks for picking my title, Ralph (no 'offense' to any of the other submissions )
      IMHO, there were a lot of appropriate choices this time.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        IMHO, there were a lot of appropriate choices this time.
        That's why you're our leader, Ralph...you keep us all humble...

Comment

Ed Weaver artlcle about the team http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.

I wonder where the video mentioned in the title is. Perhaps it is only in the print edition.

Maybe it is rated X.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'll bet that SA knows the proper spelling of 'synergy' too.

It seems to me that this is where the injuries have affected the team most, in disrupting the practice time needed to get everyone synchronized with everyone else on offense.

I hope to see better activity this weekend. Just shoot the puck already.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It will be nice when everyone is back and we have a real chance to evaluate this team.
              We were certainly looking for offense from our freshmen, but with Neal and Laliberte out for extended periods, they haven't even had a chance to practice. It might be a couple of weeks before these guys can contribute.
              I am really looking forward to watching these guys play at their best.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                It will be nice when everyone is back and we have a real chance to evaluate this team.
                We were certainly looking for offense from our freshmen, but with Neal and Laliberte out for extended periods, they haven't even had a chance to practice. It might be a couple of weeks before these guys can contribute.
                I am really looking forward to watching these guys play at their best.
                Nationally, our early season woes will of course hurt us. But what has to be remembered is we have only played 2 ECAC games so far. The 2 losses hurt but they are not the end of the world. We will have a better idea of this team once JL and Neal are back and hopefully contributing. In spite of being 1-8 I must say the defense and goaltending has still been very encouraging. We can still mqake a lot of noise this year-but we have to start very soon.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Nationally, our early season woes will of course hurt us. But what has to be remembered is we have only played 2 ECAC games so far. The 2 losses hurt but they are not the end of the world. We will have a better idea of this team once JL and Neal are back and hopefully contributing. In spite of being 1-8 I must say the defense and goaltending has still been very encouraging. We can still mqake a lot of noise this year-but we have to start very soon.
                  With all due respect Doc, why play such a tough schedule against ranked teams with this team? It seems the offense is young and will take some time. Last year was different with regards to playing a tough schedule since we won some games and hence an at large bid in the NCAA Tournament due to some of those wins.....but the team had experience!

This is a new year. A tough schedule for experience???? As it stands now, some of the better players have been injured and not been able to compete against the ranked teams....so how does it help "the team"?

I shudder to think of where the confidence level of this team is......and confidence is not a switch you can turn off and on. Sorry....but just an opinion.
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                    With all due respect Doc, why play such a tough schedule against ranked teams with this team? It seems the offense is young and will take some time. Last year was different with regards to playing a tough schedule since we won some games and hence an at large bid in the NCAA Tournament due to some of those wins.....but the team had experience!

This is a new year. A tough schedule for experience???? As it stands now, some of the better players have been injured and not been able to compete against the ranked teams....so how does it help "the team"?

I shudder to think of where the confidence level of this team is......and confidence is not a switch you can turn off and on. Sorry....but just an opinion.
                    On paper (and on the ice), we have a fantastic team. I'm sure when Coach Appert scheduled the non-conference games, he wasn't planning on top forwards getting hurt, or on whatever in the world our scoring problem is. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have to play our way into the tournament in conference playoffs, but by that time we'll have the kinks ironed out, and the tough NC experience will only help.

I agree about the confidence level...that's my biggest worry. I think we're fine right now, but if we don't get a few wins soon, I'm not so sure we will be.

Comment

Thanks Doc!
                      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Many OOC games are supposedly scheduled further in advance. That confidence level of the team could be shaky at this point, but it still can be fixed as Ra91 said.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Many OOC games are supposedly scheduled further in advance. That confidence level of the team could be shaky at this point, but it still can be fixed as Ra91 said.
                          I realize that the games are scheduled well in advance....and your point is?
                          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

One may agree with your concern
                            confidence is not a switch you can turn off and on
                            and disagree with your inferences insofar as they may or may not apply to the current team.

some of the better players have been injured and not been able to compete against the ranked teams.
                            umm....they weren't injured when the schedule was drawn up, were they? You did not really mean to imply that we should avoid a tough OOC schedule as a way to mitigate the potential consequences of an unusual number of injuries? You are merely frustrated that the year hasn't gone as you'd like and are struggling to find a way to articulate that?

Last year was different ...[in part because]...the team had experience.
                            ahem....and how did that team develop experience?
                            A tough schedule for experience
                            Aha! Might that have been the case for last year's team, in its experiences from the two years preceding last year? Perhaps SA has a long-term development plan that goes beyond scheduling cupcakes for OOC play (yes, I know there is a middle ground, which you more likely are trying to suggest).

why play such a tough schedule against ranked teams with this team? It seems the offense is young and will take some time.
                            let's assume this team did NOT suffer the injuries, and started 2-6-1 instead, say. My hunch is that you'd feel quite a bit differently about this season than you do now!

For one thing, it is not unusual for skilled recruits to be a little surprised at the subtle changes in the fundamentals of the game when you move up a level. At your prior level, maybe 1/2 of the players on the other teams were really skilled, say (make up your own fraction if you want); which means you could "dominate" the other 1/2 (even if 2/3 were skilled you still "dominate" the other 1/3). Now at this level every single player on the other team is as skilled or even more skilled than the best of the best players you ever faced before. A step quicker, 10 pounds heavier, stronger, savvier (when I played volleyball for money I'd win a lot against people with better skills than me because they did not understand the game nearly as well as I did. I could often tell where they were going to hit the ball before they even jumped, and so I was standing there waiting for it to arrive, then they'd complain "you were so lucky" while I would smile to myself and not reveal my trade secrets to such a brash punk....sorry, I digress...). Facing improved competition like we have is a great way to give you yardsticks to strive for and tangible concrete goals (now I ALSO have to get a step faster, 10 pounds heavier, stronger, savvier, better co-ordinated with MY teammates, etc. etc.).

Had this happened with an injury-free version of this year's team, I'd be fine with it. As SA said, there are a lot of strengths that are hard to appreciate, things will come around. IF nothing else maybe we can pick up a few points in 0-0 ties!!

My bigger concern is the one expressed by Dr. D more than once, which is separate from the current discussion.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                              I realize that the games are scheduled well in advance....and your point is?
                              SA may have thought that D'Amigo and Pirri would be playing. I do think that he probably felt the hard schedule was good in any case.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-10-2011, 08:19 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

First off........experience can be defined in a few different ways. Age is a reflection of experience and class in school is a reflection of experience. Just because you experience tough competition does not necessarily mean a measured increase in individual or team development or performance ....and I challenge you, since you have answers to almost everything, to please give me measured proof of such a statement.

With regards to your comment on injuries (FF), when there is depth in a program, an injury to one player is an opportunity for another.....and sometimes you get suprised by the performance by uncovering some talent that would not have gotten recognition unless more time to play was warranted.

Whether you have injuries or not, a tough OOC schedule does not always equate to a measured level of experience that results in a measured level of performance.

FF....your comment about a long term development plan??????? How long are you talking? Disagreeing with my comment that confidence is not a switch you turn on or off.......and how it doesn't apply to this team or any team for that matter really confuses me.

I am not going to argue with you....you obviously have superior knowledge of this game......this team.....the mental conditioning of this team.....and how they all relate to success. BTW, I have a Pee Wee team at the travel level and I am looking for a coach......you interested??
                                Last edited by sk8tronthepond; 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X