This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011-12 Part III: Our Goal is to be Offensive

Who in their right mind, in either the coaching staff or on the team itself, thinks that running the same "play the puck along the boards then dump it after the neutral zone trap works on you" offensive play is a good idea?

When your own fans can predict exactly what you're going to do, you can bet the world that the coaching staff of the opposing team can as well, and will work to exploit that.

What a disaster, that was extremely frustrating, added with the fact that the Union fans were acting like Union fans, i.e. celebrating a trickling empty netter like it was a championship goal in OT.
    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
      What a disaster, that was extremely frustrating, added with the fact that the Union fans were acting like Union fans, i.e. celebrating a trickling empty netter like it was a championship goal in OT.
      Those must be the children or grandchildren of the Union fans who attempted to tear down RPI's goalposts in the late 1960s when they beat an RPI football team that hadn't won in years. RPI's goalposts were in the gound in a manner that they could not come down. The exact details are now quite foggy in my mind, but I do recall that it was quite comical.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Curse of the tan suit continues.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
          Not incoherent but ironic, since you were the subject of my last post!
          You are impressively useless.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Well 5 ECAC games without an even strength goal. I struggle as I watch to figure out if its more a talent gap or system/motivation issue. Is Union that much faster or did they just want it more. The special teams play last night was extremely one sided as far as puck control and any organization of a power play. I feel the only way they are going to get out of this funk is to start hitting everything in sight, early and often. Tinordi, Lee, Rabbani, Bergin and Haggerty need to set the tone. Doubt I will see this team again until January. If they can't get up for a game as important as last night, I doubt I'm going to make an effort to go to Placid or UConn in December.

Edit: If a decision is made in the next few weeks that RPI will be joining Hockey East in 2013 I will quickly get over the depression from the start of this season and rethink my cancellations of these road trips.
            Last edited by johnk; 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
              Well 5 ECAC games without an even strength goal. I struggle as I watch to figure out if its more a talent gap or system/motivation issue. Is Union that much faster or did they just want it more. The special teams play last night was extremely one sided as far as puck control and any organization of a power play. I feel the only way they are going to get out of this funk is to start hitting everything in sight, early and often. Tinordi, Lee, Rabbani, Bergin and Haggerty need to set the tone. Doubt I will see this team again until January. If they can't get up for a game as important as last night, I doubt I'm going to make an effort to go to Placid or UConn in December.

Edit: If a decision is made in the next few weeks that RPI will be joining Hockey East in 2013 I will quickly get over the depression from the start of this season and rethink my cancellations of these road trips.
              +1. Good analysis, John.

Comment

Win, lose, or tie, I'll still go to Colgate/Cornell. They're the easiest trips. I was thinking about going to Princeton (I've never been there), but am starting to reconsider. And this is after traveling to Troy every other weekend for games (15-16 gallons, so close to $50 on gas alone at the time, it's more expensive now) last year.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                  Well 5 ECAC games without an even strength goal. I struggle as I watch to figure out if its more a talent gap or system/motivation issue. Is Union that much faster or did they just want it more.
                  Quick and dirty answers: both, and both.

If you don't mind me asking, why would RPI moving to Hockey East motivate you to see some road games that you weren't planning on attending because they're not playing well right now?
                  Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, why would RPI moving to Hockey East motivate you to see some road games that you weren't planning on attending because they're not playing well right now?
                    Probably the same reason I am looking to go to Princeton and Dartmouth soon: The poster has not been to certain locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      You are impressively useless.
                      Coming from every one of you, I'll consider that as a compliment!
                      Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Would put some excitement (in my mind) into this program. Right now I'm having trouble seeing any bright side.

Comment

Coming from every one of you, I'll consider that as a compliment!
                          Goodbye, worthless poster.

Comment

In his post game interview, SA keeps saying that "Union's older guys outplayed our older guys!" Well, I guess more older guys are needed!

Yet it was Union's younger guys that did the damage on the scoreboard!??
                            Seth says a lot of things

Comment

• Originally posted by Beman View Post
                              Seth says a lot of things
                              I dont know what you mean by this....

I was not at th.e game last night as flying to LA, but my son who goes to RPI was texting, and I checked the game thread and this one after I got checked in. I also watched the interview, and even forwarded to my youngest who plays. It's great to have skills and talent, but you win with attitude, desire, intensity, commitment, and effort. Same as in life. I am in violent agreement with much of what has been posted recently. What I am not is giving up on this team or season, and the tone of the posts has seemed to go in that direction a bit. Look, was the effort there last night ? Apparently not. Right now though is the time that we all need to stick together and come out of this by fighting, and honestly I think that the team need to hear and see that we are ready to climb over the boards and go to war with them if that's what it takes. It's difficult to work harder when things are not going well and keep the faith. Lack of effort is inexcusable given the results of this season. Say whatever you want about Union, I have been impressed with them the past few years precisely because of their level of compete. It's why they finished where they did last year. Yale has it too. It's our turn. I thought we were there the other day with Haggerty's goal because there was anger in that shot. The team and system is supposed to be built on being fast and up tempo, yet we look to relaxed and complacent at times. I was these guys to want to mad dog, wolf pack on teams. We have the speed and skill. Now it's effort. Let's stay the course with the boys. We don't want them quitting on us or themselves, so let's not quit on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                                I dont know what you mean by this....
                                He doesn't mean anything.

I was not at th.e game last night as flying to LA, but my son who goes to RPI was texting, and I checked the game thread and this one after I got checked in. I also watched the interview, and even forwarded to my youngest who plays. It's great to have skills and talent, but you win with attitude, desire, intensity, commitment, and effort. Same as in life. I am in violent agreement with much of what has been posted recently. What I am not is giving up on this team or season, and the tone of the posts has seemed to go in that direction a bit. Look, was the effort there last night ? Apparently not. Right now though is the time that we all need to stick together and come out of this by fighting, and honestly I think that the team need to hear and see that we are ready to climb over the boards and go to war with them if that's what it takes. It's difficult to work harder when things are not going well and keep the faith. Lack of effort is inexcusable given the results of this season. Say whatever you want about Union, I have been impressed with them the past few years precisely because of their level of compete. It's why they finished where they did last year. Yale has it too. It's our turn. I thought we were there the other day with Haggerty's goal because there was anger in that shot. The team and system is supposed to be built on being fast and up tempo, yet we look to relaxed and complacent at times. I was these guys to want to mad dog, wolf pack on teams. We have the speed and skill. Now it's effort. Let's stay the course with the boys. We don't want them quitting on us or themselves, so let's not quit on them.
                                Spot on with all of this. Union may be a lot of things but when they play us, at least, they want it.

Comment

Working...
                                X