UML @ Maine 11/11 & 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UML @ Maine 11/11 & 11/12

Maine lost two on the road, UML played well in a single-game weekend @ home.

I expect to see Carr in net for the first game, and our team outshooting Maine and benefitting from a new bout of confidence from our team.

What can we expect from Maine? How's attendance/atmosphere been @ Alfond this year?
    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Re: UML @ Maine 11/11 & 11/12

Getting that win last night, and including how they played on the prior Friday at home against BC ... this Lowell team is now showing some signs of what they could be. They're going to outshoot most opponents apparently (every game so far at least) and they're going to give everything they have. I don't think anyone will play Lowell this year and think they got off easy ... at least I hope not.

I'm hoping for a good result while up in Orono.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Now u have to face UMO in front of 320 fans. oooops, I meant 3200

Comment

Originally posted by Nostrajimus View Post
        Now u have to face UMO in front of 320 fans. oooops, I meant 3200
        Gary

www.umlhockey.com

"It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
        KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Lowell sweeps and TIMMAY shrugs.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
            Lowell sweeps and TIMMAY shrugs.
            No, no....'shrugs with the spread-hands 'who me/what are you talking about' gesture...I'm sure you're as familiar with it as we are
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com

Comment

Yep, I think UML sweeps this series. How will that feel UML fans?
              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                Yep, I think UML sweeps this series. How will that feel UML fans?
                I'm always up for breaking funhouse mirrors
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Orono will be on suicide alert if UML sweeps them. The ALfond Crickets will be chirping silently. chirp-chirp...

Comment

I've seen this movie enough times to know how it ends. Lowell will get swept in Orono (again). I'm not getting sucked in by Maine fans expecting their team to get swept and Lowell fans having expectations that things are turning around. It's happened before, and yet the result is the same, a victory (or 2) for the Black Bears. Until I actually see it (a Lowell sweep), I'll head up there expecting the opposite. That way, I'll enjoy the weekend, instead of getting my hopes crushed again.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                      I'm not getting sucked in by Maine fans expecting their team to get swept
                      Exactly this. I was talking to people between periods against BU and saying at this point, while the Ws are great, it's not about that as much as it is about showing progress. The win was wonderful. If they go up to Maine and continue going in the right direction (which I think eventually will lead to wins anyway), that's all I can hope for.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        I've seen this movie enough times to know how it ends. Lowell will get swept in Orono (again). I'm not getting sucked in by Maine fans expecting their team to get swept and Lowell fans having expectations that things are turning around. It's happened before, and yet the result is the same, a victory (or 2) for the Black Bears. Until I actually see it (a Lowell sweep), I'll head up there expecting the opposite. That way, I'll enjoy the weekend, instead of getting my hopes crushed again.
                        I think the UConn loss served as a good reality check for the program. If not for that loss, the team would be 4-2-0 with the only losses coming to (then) #1 BC and expectations could be elevated pretty high. I don't think anyone will argue that this year's team is much improved from last year, however there is still a long way to go. Although I'll be rooting for it, I would be surprised to see a UML sweep (Orono has given the program fits forever). With that being said, I think I split is not out of the question. Like Monty said, seeing the program continue to take steps forward as well as keeping the tenacious level of effort up is what's good to see right now. Continued play like last weekend will get the results.

Maine has been the only team to figure out a much improved Providence team so far this year. Should be a fun set of games to listen to.
                        Last edited by goUMLgoBC; 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM.
                        U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                        UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
                          Continued play like last weekend will get the results.
                          The Hawks will need to bring the same intensity they showed Saturday night if they hope to have a chance in Orono. Maine is coming off a tough weekend with loses to BC and UNH so they will be looking to turn things around. It should be an interesting weekend.

Comment

Given our track record up in Orono, I'll be thankful for any points we are able to steal from them this weekend, no matter how good or bad they may be. Maine fans always jump into the Stillwater River after they gets swept and it's as sure as the drive-thru line goes back to the street at your local Dunkin Donuts around 7:30 AM.

Now that Lowell's gotten a bit of attention "hickory smoke-roasting" Boston University last Saturday and Maine who came off a tough weekend having to go to BC and UNH in back to back nights, it will be interesting to see Lowell's follow-up from a huge win with a relatively young cast of characters. Speaking of roastings, we all remember the one that was put on us just 13 months ago up there in Orono.

I haven't seen Maine at all this year other than highlights, so I'll use the same sentiment I used with BU. Certainly, I think the River Hawks will be competitive this weekend and if they take more than a point, that's bonus-land. Then again, if Lowell takes more than a point, the "Fire Timmay" thread I'm sure will be alive and well if it hasn't been restored already.

Did get a few votes in the poll this week for what it's worth.
                            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                              Speaking of roastings, we all remember the one that was put on us just 13 months ago up there in Orono.
                              I'd been trying to block that one from memory. That game was just terrible.
                              U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                              UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Working...
                              X