UML @ Maine 11/11 & 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UML @ Maine 11/11 & 11/12

Lowell played a hell of a game. Lets see how they respond on saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
      Yep, people were right, it started about an hour ago (at least in the arena)
      Not sure if you were there or not but if you saw the game then you can understand why Maine fans are calling for his head. While Lowell has improved they weren't great last night but they played hard something Maine doesn't do. It isn't the loss, its the way Maine played. The D is awful, the Goaltending is awful(Carr was great for Lowell) and Maine has one line that can generate chances on a consistent basis. Congrats to Lowell, they look like a team on the way up.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm wondering if the floodgates have just opened - I see in the news items that Carlos Amestoy has left the team "for personal reasons". Maybe tired of playing on a team that very obviously isn't going anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Not sure if you were there or not but if you saw the game then you can understand why Maine fans are calling for his head. While Lowell has improved they weren't great last night but they played hard something Maine doesn't do. It isn't the loss, its the way Maine played. The D is awful, the Goaltending is awful(Carr was great for Lowell) and Maine has one line that can generate chances on a consistent basis. Congrats to Lowell, they look like a team on the way up.
          How come, for the past three years, EVERY goalie Maine faces lOoks like an all American?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            For the first two periods, I though the defense was awful on both teams. No question that three goals on eight shots is a major goaltending isssue with Ouelette. He didn't look comfortable at all and I didn't think he made one clean save without leaving a tasty treat out in front. Lowell SHG was a laugher from the blue line off of a misplayed clearout by the goaltender. Maine did generate two breakways chances which were converted home-run passes. It appears to me that this was the game plan from the start; Higgins caught Lowell in an awful line change and directly resulted in that defender going down, and Diamond's breakway which undressed Carr and the Lowell defender is a play that needs to be shut down defensively. One thing that Lowell wasn't not doing well last night was transition out of the defensive zone. The passing was putrid for a majority of the night, especially at the blue line trying to be too fancy. It wasn't until later in the third period where Wilson walked right though two Maine defenders and schooled Sullivan with a nifty backhand to almost seal the deal.

It's funny you mentioned the one-line thing because I said the same thing to ScottK last night. Maine has one experienced line that breeds fear but that's it. Certainly the have some decent speed and talent, but the younger boys for Maine have no leadership or direction. I think the big stat of the night were penalties, which became a sideshow in the third. In the end, special teams were the difference in the game. I honestly don't know what Higgins was thinking at the end of the second period because even the Maine fans were dismissing him after the hit. Credit Maine for killing that 5:00 minutes PP but Lowell came up big killing a penalty on their own.

The third period was Lowell. Carr was big and game up with the saves when he had to. Lowell simply executed to seal the deal.

I expect Maine to come out no holds barred tonight. Sullivan and Carr should be back in net for both teams. If Lowell can clean up some line changes and complete a higher percentage of defensive zone passes, I like our chance to come away with three or four points this weekend. The key to tonight is surviving the first ten minutes, if Lowell scores a couple of quick ones early, it may be a very good weekend for the River Hawks.
            Last edited by John_Fuller; 11-12-2011, 12:33 PM.
            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              TIMMAY needs to be fired, now. Let Corkum lead the team for the rest of the season, see what he can make of them.

On another note, the WABI/WPME broadcast was horrible. Overcompressed signal, leading to audio dropouts and video pixellation throughout the game. The Postgame stuff was especially bad. Not sure whose fault the problem was, but strictly amateur hour.
              do colleges ever do that?
              besides JoPa?

AND I TRIED to get people to "remember" that time that Whitehead molested them so that he would be forced out instantly... but, alas... his one good quality is that he can keep his hands to himelf

Comment

Is there any variety of video feed tonight? I was out last night but I think tonight I figure to be a homebody.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearsfan45 View Post
                  I'm wondering if the floodgates have just opened - I see in the news items that Carlos Amestoy has left the team "for personal reasons". Maybe tired of playing on a team that very obviously isn't going anywhere?
                  I'm sure there's a myriad of reasons why he'd want to get out of Orono, but leaving a losing team can't be that high on the list. The "personal reasons" were to join the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL, who currently sit in last place in their division.
                  Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                  2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                    I'm sure there's a myriad of reasons why he'd want to get out of Orono, but leaving a losing team can't be that high on the list. The "personal reasons" were to join the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL, who currently sit in last place in their division.
                    Or, he just can't stand playing(actually, sitting in the stands) for Timid Tim any longer.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                      Yep, I think UML sweeps this series. How will that feel UML fans?
                      Feels pretty good. And highly shocking.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Congrats to UML on the sweep. Personally, I thought Maine played much better last night than they did Friday night, especially the first 2 periods, but give the Riverhawks an A+ for never giving up.

Comment

Congrats to UML on the sweep. Personally, I thought Maine played much better last night than they did Friday night, especially the first 2 periods, but give the Riverhawks an A+ for never giving up.
                          OUr radio guy sounded like he agreed.

Comment

Maine definitely did play better on Sat. No question. I think Norm really pumped them up in 2nd intermission and got us started. Maine really helped with three or four pretty dumb penalties esp the ones that made it 5x3 and then 4x4 which really sealed the deal.
                            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

I counted at least three or four posts for Maine last night. In the second period alone most of Maine's shots were coming from below the dots or just out outside the crease. Carr made the save of the night in that second period. After making the first save, a Maine player pulled the puck around him to put it into the open net, some how he flashed the pad out to make the save.

A nice weekend for Scott Wilson. For the second night in a row he stick handles around a Maine defenseman and scores a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                Feels pretty good. And highly shocking.
                                Not at all shocking to me. Whitehead's train has derailed. Going to be a very tough year for the Black Bears, but all in all, it might be just what the doctor has finally ordered. We have had many, many, many great memories and wins with Maine teams over the last 25 years. These things arent free, you have to pay the piper eventually.
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X