X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    I don't think any other North American coach has ever worked as many European and Soviet philosophies into his systems as Brooks did. Even while he was coaching the Gophers. I doubt Brooks had any animosity towards Johnson for that.
    I agree. The European pp angle is bunk. Brooks had a real appreciation for the game well played and was willing to use what would make his teams successful. What both Brooks and his mentor John Mariucci believed in was building American hockey. Johnson came out of that same Minnesota tradition with its commitment to recruiting Minnesota players. I know that Johnson recruiting Canadians didn't sit well among Minnesotans. Minnesota high school coaches wouldn't tolerate Brooks do the same thing. So Johnson's success with teams featuring Canadian recruits was just salt in the wound.
    "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      I think one aspect of the UMinn/NoDak rivalry that cannot be a part of the UND/UW rivalry is the old upstate/downstate history.
      While I generally believe your sentiment to be correct, your terminology is not. In Minnesota, there is no "upstate" or "downstate". It's either the twin cities metro area, or it's "outstate"; the reason for this is this is how state funding is allocated, particularly regarding roads. It also happens with higher education funding with there being different priorities for say the U vs the MNSCU system. On a high school basis, there is / was certainly a built-in hatred that split along those twin cities / outstate lines; I certainly recall growing up and stridently supporting section 7-8 teams vs everybody else in the state tournament. However, at least in my case, it didn't extend to college loyalties because as a lifelong Minnesotan, I have always viewed the U as being "my school" - even before I actually attended it. After all, it bears the state's name and represents it against other big name schools.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that the MN-UW rivalry had a rather brief opportunity to be re-ignited in the '05-'06 season; both teams were #1 seeds in the NCAA's, after all. However, as fate would have it, both teams lost in the F5 semifinals and wound up playing a meaningless abortion of a game for 3rd place. MN followed that up by bricking against Holy Cross, ending any chance whatsoever of the two meeting in Milwaukee.
      Last edited by Bakunin; 11-07-2011, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I personally hate Wisconsin more than anyone else. So it is not secondary to me in any way. I mean North Dakota is a total abortion (tm bakunin) of a state, but they fall just below WI in terms of hate.

If we could somehow score 20 goals a night against them, I am all for it.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          Lastly, I'd like to mention that the MN-UW rivalry had a rather brief opportunity to be re-ignited in the '05-'06 season; both teams were #1 seeds in the NCAA's, after all. However, as fate would have it, both teams lost in the F5 semifinals and wound up playing a meaningless abortion of a game for 3rd place. MN followed that up by bricking against Holy Cross, ending any chance whatsoever of the two meeting in Milwaukee.

I remember that game more favorably than you. Especially Skille's goal where he had to fight through several blatant UM penalties on his bull rush to the net.

That game and the night before where you guys lost to SCSU set the stage for the meltdown in Grand Forks. Those games had a LOT of meaning in the sense that it threw your team off kilter and they never recovered.

It was my understanding at the time that had we lost to you, it's possible that WE would have been sent to Grand Forks although I can't imagine that it makes a lot of logical sense to send us out of state. I remember hearing pundits say that going into that game though.

Might have to watch that game to console myself after this coming weekend...

Although, if the energetic, engaged version of this year's team shows up, we'll give you a run for it.

Comment

This is a rivalry series, in your home rink. Not to mention, the gap between the best and worst teams in the WCHA is not that large. I expect both games to be close, as they were this past weekend. As the old adage goes: Sweep at home and split on the road. So, I am expecting a split, but hoping for a sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
              I use to feel that way about the Packers.. I just dont anymore, I think I admire the club to much.. Just a class organization from top down. I can only hope that Zygi and company steal a page or two from them. I loved CC and Randle.. Especially Randle.. That chicken in the favre jersey commercial was an instant classic
              I respected those players, no doubt. Especially Chris Carter. That guy was money. It's just fan hate.

Funny, as I was putting that laundry list together I was trying to come up with more negative Viking feelings and the absolute most obvious one ever completely slipped my mind. The Ol' Dongslinger.

It's funny, but I've almost completely blocked him out of my mind. I suppose you guys are trying to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I remember that game more favorably than you. Especially Skille's goal where he had to fight through several blatant UM penalties on his bull rush to the net.

That game and the night before where you guys lost to SCSU set the stage for the meltdown in Grand Forks. Those games had a LOT of meaning in the sense that it threw your team off kilter and they never recovered.

It was my understanding at the time that had we lost to you, it's possible that WE would have been sent to Grand Forks although I can't imagine that it makes a lot of logical sense to send us out of state. I remember hearing pundits say that going into that game though.

Might have to watch that game to console myself after this coming weekend...

Although, if the energetic, engaged version of this year's team shows up, we'll give you a run for it.
                It was just good hard nosed Hockey, no penalties.
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

That's odd. I don't recall MN having enough motivation to bother with any obstruction or other cheap hackery - I was convinced the team wasn't even on the ice for the entirety of that game.

Some sort of hindsight-based psychological meaning is not what I was referring to, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    #1, 1A, 1B, 1C and 2-5 are MOVE YOUR FEET

whenever you play Minnesota you're playing the best skating team in the country (possible exception of BC), so don't stop moving your feet EVER. think of it as playing the Red Wings and you're the Hawks.
                    Really? We haven't been a good skating team in quite a few years. Even this year, I am hesitant to put us up there as one of the best. It is still early, and after all, the Gophers haven't played anybody yet.

A huge key to this weekend is the Gophers needing to stay out of the **** box. We currently are the most penalized team in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                      A huge key to this weekend is the Gophers needing to stay out of the **** box. We currently are the most penalized team in the WCHA.
                      I said that over and over again for the UND series and got thoroughly thrashed for it in chat. Then I lost faith, never believing Dell was going to give up the tying goal or the Gophers were never going to get greasy enough to slip one home.

I ended up being wrong on both counts.

Believe.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I said that over and over again for the UND series and got thoroughly thrashed for it in chat. Then I lost faith, never believing Dell was going to give up the tying goal or the Gophers were never going to get greasy enough to slip one home.

Believe.
                        I with you on the penalties, way too many and some are just plain dumb they don't need to be taken.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                          Really? We haven't been a good skating team in quite a few years. Even this year, I am hesitant to put us up there as one of the best. It is still early, and after all, the Gophers haven't played anybody yet.

generally from what I see Minnesota is the best skating team on an annual basis. and there might be a year or two where that isn't the case but the overall body of work since I've been watching (84-85) confirms they generally can skate circles around their competition.

Only BC and the late 80's-early 90's Wisconsin comes close in my recollection.

HOWEVER, skating is just one aspect of the game and the best skaters don't always win, hence nodak
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Believe.
                            This.

Also, how long are we going to go until people stop using the, "Minnesota looks okay, but they haven't played anybody yet," line? Sweeping the defending national champs on the road, sweeping Sue at home, and being the first team to sweep UAA on the road since 2009? Time to start giving your boys some credit. They are playing great hockey.

Comment

I respected those players, no doubt. Especially Chris Carter. That guy was money. It's just fan hate.

Funny, as I was putting that laundry list together I was trying to come up with more negative Viking feelings and the absolute most obvious one ever completely slipped my mind. The Ol' Dongslinger.

It's funny, but I've almost completely blocked him out of my mind. I suppose you guys are trying to do the same thing.
                              Good ole' Ontario Smith.. What a waste of an amazing talent... Guess thats why they call it dope

The Tice era was one of the worst, man that guy was a meathead!

Comment

Originally posted by McMac View Post
                                This.

Also, how long are we going to go until people stop using the, "Minnesota looks okay, but they haven't played anybody yet," line? Sweeping the defending national champs on the road, sweeping Sue at home, and being the first team to sweep UAA on the road since 2009? Time to start giving your boys some credit. They are playing great hockey.
                                The same things were said on this board in '01-'02. Let them say it.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X