This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Yeah, the effort definately wasn't there tonight. A letdown on the road following a highly charged series against a big rival was somewhat expected, but they were embarassingly outworked last night. Credit Bucky for executing their game plan perfectly. Now, it's how the Gophers respond that will be important. As the old adage goes, split on the road and sweep at home.

Solo - Between 2002-04 the Gophers had 6 non-Minnesotans on their roster, so it's not the most ever, but close. And glad you had a great time and congrats on the win!

Comment

1st period - even. In fact, I thought both teams stunk up the joint.
      2nd period - advantage Wisconsin. huge defensive breakdowns by Minnesota. Wisconsin did a VERY good job capitalizing on those errors.
      3rd period - advantage Minnesota. Minnesota looked more like the '11-'12 Gophers but just couldn't generate enough chances and had too big a hole to climb out of.

All 3 periods - To me, it really looked like Eaves and company had a very specific plan. It looked like Wisconsin's only strategy was to play a mistake free game and wait for Minnesota to leave an opening. I'm not pointing fingers and saying the coaching staff was to blame or even that Eaves outcoached Lucia. It just looked like Wisconsin was able to identify their best chance of gaining the upper hand and they executed it to perfection. The problem with that strategy is the 1st and 3rd periods. In those periods, Wisconsin generated almost nothing. If Minnesota cleans up their act tonight, Wisconsin will have to create their own chances, which could lead to more mistakes and more openings for Minnesota. I really believe we're going to see a completely different type of game tonight.

Now...if only the Badger football players look lke the Gopher hockey players last night. Attention Jerry Kill, throw the Hail Mary. Bielema hasn't figured out how to stop that yet.
      Originally posted by Skeeterman
      Ski yo momma!
      Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
      Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
        1st period - even. In fact, I thought both teams stunk up the joint.
        2nd period - advantage Wisconsin. huge defensive breakdowns by Minnesota. Wisconsin did a VERY good job capitalizing on those errors.
        3rd period - advantage Minnesota. Minnesota looked more like the '11-'12 Gophers but just couldn't generate enough chances and had too big a hole to climb out of.

All 3 periods - To me, it really looked like Eaves and company had a very specific plan. It looked like Wisconsin's only strategy was to play a mistake free game and wait for Minnesota to leave an opening. I'm not pointing fingers and saying the coaching staff was to blame or even that Eaves outcoached Lucia. It just looked like Wisconsin was able to identify their best chance of gaining the upper hand and they executed it to perfection. The problem with that strategy is the 1st and 3rd periods. In those periods, Wisconsin generated almost nothing. If Minnesota cleans up their act tonight, Wisconsin will have to create their own chances, which could lead to more mistakes and more openings for Minnesota. I really believe we're going to see a completely different type of game tonight.

Now...if only the Badger football players look lke the Gopher hockey players last night. Attention Jerry Kill, throw the Hail Mary. Bielema hasn't figured out how to stop that yet.
        This Badger team has shown it can be very opportunistic. They did that v. NoDak.

As far as the hail mary goes, it is a good strategy against the Badgers, but teams rarely use it when they are down by 40.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          As far as the hail mary goes, it is a good strategy against the Badgers, but teams rarely use it when they are down by 40.
          Well this delusional Gopher fan is hoping that events from the previous 2 weeks against Iowa and Michigan St. will continue today against the Badgers, which would keep things close. Now back to hockey.
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Ski yo momma!
          Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
          Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post

Solo - Between 2002-04 the Gophers had 6 non-Minnesotans on their roster, so it's not the most ever, but close. And glad you had a great time and congrats on the win!

I also had a great time. Are you glad for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I also had a great time. Are you glad for me?
              Didn't know you were at the game. Yes, I am even glad that you had a great time

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                Didn't know you were at the game.
                Gurt goes to all the games. Part of his plan to become a hockey historian.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Gurt goes to all the games. Part of his plan to become a hockey historian.
                  "...and on 11-11-11, an abortion of a game was played by the Gophers..."

Comment

Gotta love the determination from UW yesterday. Puck possession wasn't great but they made very solid use of what they had.

The game did seem a little dead for some stretches last night, at least that's how it seemed on tv. The trapping, locking and forechecking didn't bother me but I know many are more picky when it comes to hockey and the crowd did seem a little flat on TV. For those who were there: was the crowd a little out of it?
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Gotta love the determination from UW yesterday. Puck possession wasn't great but they made very solid use of what they had.

The game did seem a little dead for some stretches last night, at least that's how it seemed on tv. The trapping, locking and forechecking didn't bother me but I know many are more picky when it comes to hockey and the crowd did seem a little flat on TV. For those who were there: was the crowd a little out of it?
                      I thought UW had good energy, and I have no problems with the way they played. Is the trap boring at times to watch? Sure, but I do enjoy watching a team execute a trap game well, and Wisconsin did that to perfection last night.

On the other hand, the Gopher (I thought) had very little energy until the second half of the third period (at least compared to the energy we've seen so far this year), and had numerous defensive breakdowns that cost them dearly.

Hopefully the Gophers come back with some intensity tonight.

Comment

Can't blame the crowd as Wisconsin plays a very boring brand of hockey. As much as I love the college game, if I was unfortunate enough to live in Madison I would have a real hard time shelling out the bucks to become a season ticket holder. It's too bad the Gophers were lulled to sleep and allowed the Badgers' boring style to dictate the tempo and play. They need to respond with an all-out effort tonight like we've become accustomed to this season. Take charge and play more of a puck possession type game. Last night they uncharacteristically gave up the puck too easily which played right into Wisconsin's hands. And speaking of football Hail Mary's, the D has to be aware of the long bomb (we used to call it the 'suck hole') which should never work at this level.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

No, the crowd was responsive and good. That was the Minny Fox Network minimizing the whole experience.

Comment

For those who were there: was the crowd a little out of it?
                            Exactly the opposite IMO. This was the most engaged crowd this season, at least the Friday games I attend.

I guess I understand the rats fans saying the game was boring - and there were stretches where I'd agree - but from a Badger fan perspective, I think this was their most complete game of the season. Nice to see the hustle and minimal stupid mistakes. Hope to see more of the same tonight.

Comment

LOL it never fails...every time Minnesota loses to Wisconsin certain (not all) Gopher fans complain about style of play. Apparently teams that play the Gophers are supposed to let them skate right into the zone without pressure or it's considered boring hockey. God forbid a team try not to get scored upon. What's even more funny is that they don't recognize their own team using similar tactics at times.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Can't blame the crowd as Wisconsin plays a very boring brand of hockey. As much as I love the college game, if I was unfortunate enough to live in Madison I would have a real hard time shelling out the bucks to become a season ticket holder.
                                While there have been years where this could be argued, I would disagree with that assessment of this years group. I'm seeing these young players being creative and trying to beat their man one on one more than I can remember. This is not the typical (at times) Wisconsin dump and cycle offense.

Maybe Eaves had to complete the USA Hockey age level modules like the rest of us coaches and in the modules they specifically promote allowing kids to try new things and be creative. Gotta love the ADM!

As far as the trap and defense, like Chuck mentioned, are we supposed to play a style that benefits our opponent? This is hardly the Devils of the 90s. If your team is struggling against what we are doing, THEY need to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                                X