This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    No one talks hockey until Thursday. Until then, it's banal trash talk (NOT HISTORY ARGUMENTS).

Ambroz learns the errors of his ways, in taking stupid penalties. He'll still take about 45 penalties this weekend, but they'll be smart ones.
    As long as they don't result in majors, and aren't offensive zone penalties or after the whistle, then I don't mind as much. The physical play is part of his game IMO.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      I really wish Derek Lee and McCabe were able to play this weekend. they're probably 4-5 weeks away yet...

how's that Condon kid playing for the rats?
      He's doing great for us. I would ask the same about a Minnesota kid playing for the skunks but how could I pick just one.

I can't say too much though. All kidding aside, I think it's really cool there are 12 native Wisconsin kids on the Badger roster this year.
      Originally posted by Skeeterman
      Ski yo momma!
      Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
      Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
        He's doing great for us. I would ask the same about a Minnesota kid playing for the skunks but how could I pick just one.

I can't say too much though. All kidding aside, I think it's really cool there are 12 native Wisconsin kids on the Badger roster this year.
        cool. good to see a Wausau kid do well in D1!

yeah, a few MN fans have been complimentary on the # of WI kids on the team as opposed to years past. that really shows more than anything how proud you guys are of local kids making good and local universities/coaching staffs nurturing that

...I remember when my dad took me to my first UW vs. Minnesota game it was 84 or 85 can't remember which. he got a program and immediately told me to turn to the roster pages ...here's what he said paraphrasing as I looked at the MN roster kind of wide-eyed ..."look at that...EVERY kid from Minnesota, you won't see that in Indiana b-ball, and you won't see that in Texas Longhorn football, this is incredible."

It was just so cool to see something like that. no other team anywhere had the ability to field a team that way (locally only). UW at the time was about 6-7 Canadians, 6-7 Minnesotans and the rest from IL, MI, WI, all over.

the crowd had a way of separating the teams when I first started going. MN was the skating team, the finesse team. probably the fastest overall team in the league. Nodak were the bruising NHL types. at Jingles pre-game UW fans would say UW could play both styles (a touch of our own arrogance maybe?) depending on which team they played but back then UW was pretty **** loaded itself Tuttle/Ranheim/Richter/Mellanby et al
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
          All kidding aside, I think it's really cool there are 12 native Wisconsin kids on the Badger roster this year.
          Careful. A compliment like that is how the whole history discussion began in the first place.

I agree though, very cool to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            cool. good to see a Wausau kid do well in D1!

yeah, a few MN fans have been complimentary on the # of WI kids on the team as opposed to years past. that really shows more than anything how proud you guys are of local kids making good and local universities/coaching staffs nurturing that

...I remember when my dad took me to my first UW vs. Minnesota game it was 84 or 85 can't remember which. he got a program and immediately told me to turn to the roster pages ...here's what he said paraphrasing as I looked at the MN roster kind of wide-eyed ..."look at that...EVERY kid from Minnesota, you won't see that in Indiana b-ball, and you won't see that in Texas Longhorn football, this is incredible."

It was just so cool to see something like that. no other team anywhere had the ability to field a team that way (locally only). UW at the time was about 6-7 Canadians, 6-7 Minnesotans and the rest from IL, MI, WI, all over.

the crowd had a way of separating the teams when I first started going. MN was the skating team, the finesse team. probably the fastest overall team in the league. Nodak were the bruising NHL types. at Jingles pre-game UW fans would say UW could play both styles (a touch of our own arrogance maybe?) depending on which team they played but back then UW was pretty **** loaded itself Tuttle/Ranheim/Richter/Mellanby et al
            Gotta love hockey games with your dad/son. Few things better

Comment

To JDUBBS and mariucci...

Or not...

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                yeah it was awesome, and still is when he can make it.

in 2006 I went to the FF w/my dad for the semi's and then the final UW vs. BC I was there w/my grandfather (a hockey player who was still adept at dissecting team tendencies)

but yeah, those first fews years of season tickets it was always fun to open the program vs. the mn and see 26-28 players all from the state of minnesota. I guess I was so used to the other teams coming in w/a collection of kids from everywhere

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

yeah it was awesome, and still is when he can make it.

in 2006 I went to the FF w/my dad for the semi's and then the final UW vs. BC I was there w/my grandfather (a hockey player who was still adept at dissecting team tendencies)

but yeah, those first fews years of season tickets it was always fun to open the program vs. the mn and see 26-28 players all from the state of minnesota. I guess I was so used to the other teams coming in w/a collection of kids from everywhere
                  Sounds a lot like my family

I can't wait to watch this rivalry grow even stronger in the Big Ten. It will be fun playing Michigan and Michigan State, but the UW rivalry is going to go up another level IMO

Comment

I believe the key to this series will be special teams. MN has a penchant for taking several penalties in a row (it's happened several times already this season). If UW does not take advantage of that, it will be very difficult for them to stay with MN (unless they manage to get superb play out of their goalie like UND did). To the UW fans who have yet to see MN play this season, you will notice immediately that this version of the Gophers does not back down from physical play and also goes hard to the net. It's no accident that they have started the season well. They're certainly capable of making pretty passing plays in the standard Gopher tradition, but unlike the past several years, they are also quite good at scoring garbage goals. Lastly, even if you hold a lead, it isn't safe - as of yet, I haven't seen MN quit on a game; this team actually seems to have a fair amount of mental toughness.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      Not in my family....
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        Sounds a lot like my family

I can't wait to watch this rivalry grow even stronger in the Big Ten. It will be fun playing Michigan and Michigan State, but the UW rivalry is going to go up another level IMO
                        nice

yeah, my Dad and Grandfather were from wausau, they grew up playing hockey so really appreciate the game from that perspective.

maybe because Wausau was small and back in the 60's there were far less kids playing hockey in the surrounding cities/counties but my dad was and still is in awe of the mn system and the ability to stock an entire team with local kids, and still have enough kids that an additional 140 or so would be playing D-1 elsewhere in the country at any give time. about 180 from MN in D-1 annually if I read that correctly.

Comment

re: the games for UW. stay the EFF out of the box. since the PK is atrocious, please please stay out of the box.

Comment

I have a very strong feeling that Michigan will end up being the most heated eventually. I still want to castrate Mike Legg and shove his nuts down his throat.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              I have a very strong feeling that Michigan will end up being the most heated eventually. I still want to castrate Mike Legg and shove his nuts down his throat.
                              LOL! Yeah, he's pretty high on my hate list too.

Comment

re: the games for UW. stay the EFF out of the box. since the PK is atrocious, please please stay out of the box.
                                Same for Gophs. We're the most penalized team in the WCHA right now. Discipline has definitely been an issue at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X