X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Those that are arguing are not arguing against the pride that you have in hockey in the state of Minnesota. You can even be arrogant if you want, it's deserved, although the rest of the country is gaining and top level talent continues to come from more places all of the time.

The issue is that you try to intertwine pride in Minnesota hockey with the Gophers and they are separate. I bet Duluth fans don't consider themselves Gopher fans but still take the same pride in hockey in the state as a whole.

Why is this so difficult? We've all said that you can and should be proud of your STATE'S hockey tradition, but that the Gophers suck.

You're welcome.
    Way back, including last week a few Badger fans have been arguing the idea that the Gophers and John Mariucci had a large part in what hockey in MN is today. A few of us have been telling you that you and those arguing that have it wrong.

Is the Badger program a good one? yes it is.
    Is the Siuox program a good one? yes it is.

No one is saying that it isn't.

When Badger fans wave the 6>5 flag they're mistaken UNLESS they say NCAA Championships. Total number of championships are the same.

What I see happening here is this, Badger fans appear to be in some form of denial that the Gophs had anything to do with the landscape of hockey in the upper midwest, and if they'd ditch the whole "I gotta be better at everything attitude" and spend some time researching their claims they'd learn the truth, that indeed the Gophers are probably THEE most influential college hockey program in the upper midwest when talking supporting the development of local talent.

And yes many many kids grew up wanting to play for the Gophs, regardless if that pains you or any other Badger fan to hear/read. It is what it is and im done arguing this with you, Pick up a book, read it then pass it along to another Badger fan.

The Gophs were it, then a small percentage wanted UMD, minus the many kids on the range that grew up Sioux fans (not all did, many came down to play for the Gophs), thats just where alot of the kids on their roster came from over the years minus the canucks. There is a very sound reason as to why the Gophs land so much of the top talent in the state, and im not saying that to be arrogant, i'm saying it to prove a point. And really someone that knows hockey shouldn't even be arguing these facts. That tradition started decades ago and is still going strong today.

Comment

Someone made mention of Wiki when talking about Gopher championships being only 5

I just googled "how many championships do the packers have" and here's what Wiki had to say.
      Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

The Green Bay Packers are an American football team based in Green Bay, Wisconsin. They are members of the North Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL). The Packers are the current NFL champions. Green Bay is the third-oldest franchise in the NFL, though they were organized and playing in 1919.[5] The Packers are the last vestige of "small town teams" that were once common in the NFL during the 1920s and 1930s. Founded in 1919 by Earl "Curly" Lambeau (hence the name Lambeau Field on which the team plays) and George Whitney Calhoun, the Green Bay Packers can trace their lineage to other semi-professional teams in Green Bay dating back to 1896. In 1919 and 1920 the Packers competed as a semi-professional football team against clubs from around Wisconsin and the Midwest. They joined the American Professional Football Association (APFA) in 1921, the forerunner to what is known today as the National Football League (NFL). The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States.

The Green Bay Packers have won 13 league championships (more than any other team in the NFL), including nine NFL championships prior to the Super Bowl era and four Super Bowl victories—in 1967 (Super Bowl I), 1968 (Super Bowl II), 1997 (Super Bowl XXXI) and 2011 (Super Bowl XLV).[6] The team has a rivalry with the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings.

Seems to me that those "other championships" do matter, especially when it puts the Packers in front of all other teams... pfffft
      Last edited by mariucci; 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Might as well save your breath Mooch. Gurtolfin just keeps regurgitating the same unsupported points over and over. Unless he provides evidence or testimony to back his opinion, anything else he has to say on this topic is worthless conjecture.

I have pointed out that former players, high school coaches, USA Hockey officials, and even a former NHL Comissioner would disagree with him, and I cited my source. Yet, he still seems to insist that he knows more about Minnesota hockey history than those who lived it and those who reported on it.

Comment

Then why do you guys keep arguing with him?!

Can we please talk hockey or trash please? Good gawd this is lame....
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
            And yes many many kids grew up wanting to play for the Gophs,
            Who's arguing that?

What you and the Dubber have been saying is that most, or the vast majority of kids in the state of Minnesota started playing hockey because they wanted to be Gophers some day. It's a LOT different to say that a kid really wanted to be a Gopher when they were 11 and started to realize that they were a hockey player and not simply playing hockey. Do you see this difference?

I even asked the two of you numerous times if that is what you meant and over and over, you said yes, the majority of kids who start playing hockey do so because they want to be a Gopher some day.

I just find that hard to believe. Now go ahead and try and tell me that we're arguing about the number of championships, Mariucci's influence or whether a deer looks REALLY good lying by the side of the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              Then why do you guys keep arguing with him?!

Can we please talk hockey or trash please? Good gawd this is lame....
              Maybe instead of making comments about how the discussion in this thread isn't about the upcoming series (which, IMO is more pointless than the discussion you're criticizing), how about make a comment about the upcoming series instead?

Novel concept, I know

Start the discussion. Let's go!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Who's arguing that?

What you and the Dubber have been saying is that most, or the vast majority of kids in the state of Minnesota started playing hockey because they wanted to be Gophers some day. It's a LOT different to say that a kid really wanted to be a Gopher when they were 11 and started to realize that they were a hockey player and not simply playing hockey. Do you see this difference?

I even asked the two of you numerous times if that is what you meant and over and over, you said yes, the majority of kids who start playing hockey do so because they want to be a Gopher some day.

I just find that hard to believe. Now go ahead and try and tell me that we're arguing about the number of championships, Mariucci's influence or whether a deer looks REALLY good lying by the side of the road.
                No, you said that. We said hat the Gopher's in-state recruiting philosophy that started under Mariucci and continued under Sonmore, Brooks, Woog gave kids a better opportunity to play after high school, which helped grow the sport in Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Who's arguing that?

I just find that hard to believe. Now go ahead and try and tell me that we're arguing about the number of championships, Mariucci's influence or whether a deer looks REALLY good lying by
                  the side of the road.

As it stands today, no.. Heck even when I started playing hockey, even tho we were season ticket holders to the Gophers I cant say was because of the Gophers at the time. I played hockey because every kid in the neighborhood played hockey and we had rinks everywhere.. When I got to HS, heck yeah me and every kid in South Saint Paul in the 80's wanted to play for the Gophers, the lucky ones did (McAlpines, Millers, Woogs, Johnsons,) etc.. To bad Housley didn't tho.. SSP is a shothole of a town, blue collared but hockey strong (minus a state championship)

But, and I think this is our point.

Those rinks everywhere, including great HS hockey programs were in large part due to the vision and action of Mariucci and the Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    Maybe instead of making comments about how the discussion in this thread isn't about the upcoming series (which, IMO is more pointless than the discussion you're criticizing), how about make a comment about the upcoming series instead?

Novel concept, I know
                    What's the point? Can't get a word in with you guys going back an forth literally every five minutes.

It would be nice to get some insight from BADger fans on this weekends series but you are arguing with two of like five sconnie fans that are on this board and the rest are absent so all I know so far is that they are hoping Rumpel starts both nights. Other than that I know nothing because you guys have been bickering for the past 2+ days.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post

Start the discussion. Let's go!
                      6 > 5

or

6 > 5 +1 title that no one else acknowledges but the Gophers hang a banner for

Comment

*****http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3905/hockeyfinals19810402af.jpg******

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          What's the point? Can't get a word in with you guys going back an forth literally every five minutes.

It would be nice to get some insight from BADger fans on this weekends series but you are arguing with two of like five sconnie fans that are on this board and the rest are absent so all I know so far is that they are hoping Rumpel starts both nights. Other than that I know nothing because you guys have been bickering for the past 2+ days.
                          Then ask them. The two times I've made comments about this weekend's games, the thread has sat dead. Then Gunderflowin comes back and starts this discussion back up.

Am I not supposed to reply because you don't like it?

Seriously, can you be a bigger whiner?

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                            As it stands today, no.. Heck even when I started playing hockey, even tho we were season ticket holders to the Gophers I cant say was because of the Gophers at the time. I played hockey because every kid in the neighborhood played hockey and we had rinks everywhere.. When I got to HS, heck yeah me and every kid in South Saint Paul in the 80's wanted to play for the Gophers, the lucky ones did (McAlpines, Millers, Woogs, Johnsons,) etc.. To bad Housley didn't tho.. SSP is a shothole of a town, blue collared but hockey strong (minus a state championship)

But, and I think this is our point.

Those rinks everywhere, including great HS hockey programs were in large part due to the vision and action of Mariucci and the Gophers.

The bolded I can agree with and it makes sense. But that's not what you two have been saying.

You want to tie all that to Mariucci, fine. But to say that most kids start for the reason that you have been saying is silly.

Comment

And FYI... As far as I've read and heard, Eaves still hasn't made a decision on the goaltending (or at least a decision hasn't been made public).

Comment

• Is that circa 1981?

Comment

Working...
                                X