X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    thanks.

I guess where I'm going w/this is some of these are club teams, or barely even college level. Quite unlike a tournament held by the NCAA. That's why I wouldn't count 1940.

Also it's unlike comparing to Green Bay because Green Bay championships were all played against teams that were the same level, and all were in the NFL when they were later playing for Super Bowl wins.

those teams Minnesota beat in 1940, Amesbury and Brock Hall, and prior to that St. Nicholas seem to be the equivalent of the modern day gophers taking out UW-PLatteville.
    And my point is, those teams were much better than you are giving them credit for. Not only were they in the championship over the likes of Michigan, Michigan Tech, Yale, Illinois, etc... But those "club" teams usually represented our country in the Olympics back then. There was a period of time when the Eveleth club hockey team was considered one of the best teams in the world.

I agree somewhat on not including the 1929 championship as it was shared with Yale and awarded by poll, but that team was also amazing and started the season with six straight shutouts. I whole-heartedly recognize the 1940 championship as a legit one.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-08-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by DLW4GOPHERS View Post
      It must really bug thoses becky fans that their hockey program was started by some reject from Minnesota.
      nope. We LOVE Badger Bob. and we love our minnesota-born players, whom you call rejects who come over get great coaching and win NCAA titles (Shawn Hill, Sagissor, Tom Gilbert, Nick Licari, Lecy's and many many more) or if not, get the coaching to kick *** in the SHOW. Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Jamie McBain, Paul Ranheim, and on and on
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        nope. We LOVE Badger Bob. and we love our minnesota-born players, whom you call rejects who come over get great coaching and win NCAA titles (Shawn Hill, Sagissor, Tom Gilbert, Nick Licari, Lecy's and many many more) or if not, get the coaching to kick *** in the SHOW. Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Jamie McBain, Paul Ranheim, and on and on
        Can you get Bernie McBain to move to Wisconsin? You'd be my hero if you did

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Counting an AAU Championship in 1940 or 1929 holds about as much weight as winning the DQ Cup.

I don't count the 1940 championship at all in these discussions. But, you know better than to say something as ridiculous as that.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Somehow I knew discussion would quickly go in this direction because, just like the Sue, the only thing bucky fans can say is 6>5.

Also,one thing to keep in mind in this whole MN born players thing is that the top talent coming out of WI recently immediately bolted for MN. *cough* Kessel family *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Even if we count '40, that just puts you on our level. At that point, we could just say that UW is simply more efficient, what with the whole "doing the same thing in fewer seasons" bit.
              Sorry. Let's talk sense, Wisconsin hockey can never hope to attain Minnesota's level.
              "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Even if we count '40, that just puts you on our level. At that point, we could just say that UW is simply more efficient, what with the whole "doing the same thing in fewer seasons" bit.
                It's an argument that will never die in all sports - would you rather have a team that wins more national titles but is less competitive during the title droughts, or would you rather have slightly fewer national titles and a team that is in the national tournament far more often than not with a chance to win the whole thing?

Personally, I'm glad my team is often really good, even if it does come up just short at the end a few more times than most.

I'm also glad that my team owns a substantial edge in the head to head meetings of this rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  It's an argument that will never die in all sports - would you rather have a team that wins more national titles but is less competitive during the title droughts, or would you rather have slightly fewer national titles and a team that is in the national tournament far more often than not with a chance to win the whole thing?

Personally, I'm glad my team is often really good, even if it does come up just short at the end a few more times than most.

I'm also glad that my team owns a substantial edge in the head to head meetings of this rivalry.
                  And we're both overjoyed that we aren't Badger hockey fans - ever!
                  "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                    That would be the opinion of many fanbases, but not the Gophs nor the Sioux. (no offense to the Badgers, it is what it is).

The Goph/Sioux rivalry is on a whole different level. My family has had season tix before I came into this world, i'm 42 and I cant name a single Goph fan that thinks otherwise. But I do think the Badger/Goph rivalry will grow into that during the Big 10 era.
                    I'm 45, have been going to games since I was a wee lad, and in spite of the recent lull, for me Becky will always consider the #1 hated rival that I'd rather beat year in and year out (more so than the Suzis.)

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

There are two kinds of hockey fans...those that live in Minnesota, and those that wish they did.

Bilgewater > Bucky Badger

NHL Records: Most penalty minutes in one playoff period (39 for N.Y. Rangers in first period on April 9, 1981, at Los Angeles), most penalties in one playoff period (6 for N.Y. Rangers in first period on April 9, 1981, at Los Angeles -- 2 minors, 1 major, 1 misconduct, 2 game misconducts)

Comment

Wow, this thread is really rocking. I thought this was supposed to be a rivalry

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        Somehow I knew discussion would quickly go in this direction because, just like the Sue, the only thing bucky fans can say is 6>5.

Also,one thing to keep in mind in this whole MN born players thing is that the top talent coming out of WI recently immediately bolted for MN. *cough* Kessel family *cough*

Yeah, silly us for prizing championships above whatever it is that you clowns try to prop up as accomplishments to make you feel better about yourselves. Riddle me this... If Minnesota has the best talent in the U.S. AND U of Minnesota gets the pick of the litter, how is it possible that you guys don't have 10 to 15 titles? Because BOTH of those things are myths.

Titles are really the only thing that matters long term.

Again with the Kessel? We're so over him and have been since 4/8/06. Remember, we won a TITLE (you, know, one of those things us pathetic Badger and Sioux fans cling to as a mark of success) the only year that he played for you and then he left you guys early. He kinda used you, just like he did us when he was developing and just like he did Boston. He's the only one who possibly regrets his decision. None of us do.

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                          Sorry. Let's talk sense, Wisconsin hockey can never hope to attain Minnesota's level.
                          Agreeded which is why there is only one name from WI that you can point to in recent history. There are many big names from MN.

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          Wow, this thread is really rocking. I thought this was supposed to be a rivalry
                          Usually but they got nothing on us this year. They probably thought Sue would take one from us and we'd limp in wounded for an easy pick off. That didn't happen so let the 6>5 continue.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Titles* are really the only thing that matters long term.
                          *NCAA titles is probably what you meant to say because saying just titles 7>6.
                          Last edited by Tiggsy; 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post

I just find it comical when Badger fans wave that flag, more times than not they're just not aware of 40' and it quickly becomes a double standard dare anyone challenge the Packer pre SB era Championships...

I've been a Packer fan for at least 32 of my 42 years and NEVER have I encountered a Packer fan who talks about the Packer titles of the 30s and 60s as anything other than something that happened a LONG time ago. The 60s may still have some relevance as many of the now legendary players of the NFL played in that era, but even my dad just sees those as happy memories.

Maybe you're thinking of Cub fans who talk about 1908?

See, the thing is that we can just take the Super Bowl era along with our 25 years of crappiness that was in there and still have a great legacy. Remember...

4 > 0

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Yeah, silly us for prizing championships above whatever it is that you clowns try to prop up as accomplishments to make you feel better about yourselves. Riddle me this... If Minnesota has the best talent in the U.S. AND U of Minnesota gets the pick of the litter, how is it possible that you guys don't have 10 to 15 titles? Because BOTH of those things are myths.

Titles are really the only thing that matters long term.

Again with the Kessel? We're so over him and have been since 4/8/06. Remember, we won a TITLE (you, know, one of those things us pathetic Badger and Sioux fans cling to as a mark of success) the only year that he played for you and then he left you guys early. He kinda used you, just like he did us when he was developing and just like he did Boston. He's the only one who possibly regrets his decision. None of us do.
                              There is no IF. Minnesota is the biggest hockey talent hotbed in this country. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                Counting an AAU Championship in 1940 or 1929 holds about as much weight as winning the DQ Cup.
                                I would love to hear your actual reasoning behind this. Break it down Chuck. I've heard many WI and or UND fans spout off about SOS etc when talking about 29' and 40'.

What I'd like to see is how those other teams finished in that same season, what their SOS was, maybe an injury report on each team etc. Same as anyone would do during the current NCAA era..

My opinion would be that your DQ cup insult to the history of the sport and the teams of the past reflects a common tune sung by Badger fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X