UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Marquette is also adding lacrosse in the next couple of years, so I would not expect any movement to add a more expensive sport any time soon.
    Maybe.

Comment

Re: UW-Milwaukee exploring adding D-1 hockey

Not sure where people are getting their stats. From the Ads website, they averaged 6,027 last season. Conversely, the Wave drew 4,531. The Wave hasn't topped 5,000 since 2003-04.

The article quoted about UWM wanting to move basketball on campus is over a year old. That push was really being done by former AD (and former Packer) George Koonce. Koonce was put on admin leave for undisclosed reasons and then resigned. There hasn't been much talk about it since he left. It's been more a vague "plan" for campus - kind of like every university has in case they magically get gifted millions of dollars.

There's no info to back this up, but my experience with Admirals games is that Ads fans have absolutely no interest or knowledge of college hockey. We're often shocked when we talk to Ads season ticket holders who have never even been to a Badger game. You'd think that they'd support hockey at all levels, but they somehow seem to compartmentalize it. They don't even go to MSOE games, which are just down the street.

It's a very strange dynamic and I don't know why it happens. The Badgers have been good and they won the Frozen Four when it was in Milwaukee. The Admirals bring the Badger Band to a game every season and no one knows the dances or the chants - we're pretty much there doing them by ourselves.

Considering there's been a decent stream of college players - including Badgers - making there , way through the AHL, it doesn't make any sense that the fans aren't interested. We've gone to Ads games to see former Badgers come in with other teams - Burish, Earle, Skille, Davies, Dowell, Drewiske.

Honestly, there were Ads fans who had no idea who Blake Geoffrion was til he was assigned to Milwaukee.
      It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
        Huh? I think you have me confused with FTLT.
        He's just confused.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          He's just confused.
          You think!?

I am the one who grew up in Racine, so I lived it. I remember when Festival Hall closed the ice rink. Sad, sad day.
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
            That would be a great move for WI and the sport. Hope it happens!
            Agreed! UW-Milwaukee adding men's hockey would be a far better decision than adding football.

FBS Level - UWM can't meet the attendance and other requirements of FBS competition. Not to mention the tens of millions in cost for: a new DI-level stadium, fielding a team of 85 scholarships, plus title IX women's sports.

FCS Level - Many schools at the FCS level are losing money and several have dropped the sport entirely. For example, Nebraska-Omaha's recent decision to drop football when going from DII to DI, one of the reasons UNO cited was an average $2 million loss FCS football programs face annually.

What conference would UW-Milwaukee hockey be in, NCHC (along with Air Force to stay at an even number)? Or the WCHA?
            Last edited by CardinalandWhite; 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Hockey won't happen at UWM. I don't think a D-1 college team in Milwaukee would get any attendance, other than students.

Milwaukee isn't the hockey version of Dyersville, Iowa. I know it's a totally different city than Madison, but few even follow Badger Hockey. What ever happened to that "Super Rink" that crashed and burned in SE Wisconsin? Lack of support....Ditto.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                I don't think a D-1 college team in Milwaukee would get any attendance, other than students.
                I disagree...it's still Wisconsin which is still a hockey strong state. Like I said earlier, they don't have to draw 10,000 to be successful. If they can get 3,000 to come out on a nightly basis that would put them in the middle of the pack in the country.

Hockey in Milwaukee continues to grow and I'm not sure it's fair to write something off just because of the opinion that hockey isn't strong in that part of the state. Actually programs like the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals are starting to churn out some players and some of the high school programs are really strong (USM has won two state titles recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  I disagree...it's still Wisconsin which is still a hockey strong state. Like I said earlier, they don't have to draw 10,000 to be successful. If they can get 3,000 to come out on a nightly basis that would put them in the middle of the pack in the country.

Hockey in Milwaukee continues to grow and I'm not sure it's fair to write something off just because of the opinion that hockey isn't strong in that part of the state. Actually programs like the Milwaukee Jr. Admirals are starting to churn out some players and some of the high school programs are really strong (USM has won two state titles recently).
                  We'll agree to disagree; I respect your opinions and appreciate your insight. I HOPE it happens being the hockey honk that I am, but I don't see it. We'll see what shakes out.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    We'll agree to disagree; I respect your opinions and appreciate your insight. I HOPE it happens being the hockey honk that I am, but I don't see it. We'll see what shakes out.
                    Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be. There isn't a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area. That's pathetic IMHO.

However, I do agree with Chuck that you don't need to draw 10,000 people to games to make it work. If they can get 1,000-3,000 people to show up, that would be more than sufficient.

Still doubt they add a hockey program, but it would be cool if they did.

Comment

If MSU-Moorhead and UW-Milwaukee both add D-1 hockey it seems to me that the WCHA will be just fine when the B1G forms.
                      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight with all your might!
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      We are out to win your fame,
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be. There isn't a single outdoor hockey rink in the entire Milwaukee metro area. That's pathetic IMHO.

However, I do agree with Chuck that you don't need to draw 10,000 people to games to make it work. If they can get 1,000-3,000 people to show up, that would be more than sufficient.

Still doubt they add a hockey program, but it would be cool if they did.
                        There are no out door rinks in Alabama and they made it work for 30 years. ;')
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          There are no out door rinks in Alabama and they made it work for 30 years. ;')
                          And no one would label any city in Alabama a great hockey town, which, if you re-read my post, was the point of that comment

Comment

Milwaukee is not a good hockey town, despite how bad Chuck wants it to be.
                            I never said anything close to that. Reading comprehension...work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              I never said anything close to that. Reading comprehension...work on it.
                              You didn't come right out and say it, no. But we both know you think Milwaukee is more than a poor hockey city, which it is.

Comment

You didn't come right out and say it, no. But we both know you think Milwaukee is more than a poor hockey city, which it is.
                                That's not what he said at all. I think that Chuck is skeptical that it could ever compete attendance wise with Madison and that you can't expect 10k attendance per game. The question that the UWM needs to answer is can they average the ~3k that they'd need to be in the new WCHA?

Comment

Working...
                                X