Ranked Hockey teams that are not chosen for the NCAA Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranked Hockey teams that are not chosen for the NCAA Tourney

Outside of FCS football, Hockey appears to be the only other major sport in which a ranked team misses the NCAA Tourney year in and year out.

Every year there are teams that could have a legit shot at the The Frozen Four, but because of a small amount of teams in the tourney (16 out of 59), it's inevitable that a deserving program is left out, whether it's because of a surprise upset in a conf auto bid, or the pairwise rankings don't pan out.

FBS football - approx 50% (60) of the 120 teams receive a bowl bid

Basketball - approx 20% (68) of the 346 teams play in the NCAA Tourney

Baseball - approx 23% (64) of the 280 teams play in the NCAA Tourney

FCS football - approx 17% (20) of the 120 teams make the NCAA Playoffs

Although 27% of hockey teams make the NCAA Tourney, only FBS Football and Hockey have ranked teams who fail to make the NCAA Tourney.

With such thin margin lines in that regard, I feel it's time that the NCAA Hockey Tournament once again considers expanding to 20 teams for the sake of competition.

FBS football used to only have 16 teams, and now their tournament is much more representative of the talent level that is present throughout.

From top to bottom Hockey is much more competitve than most of the major sports, as on any given day a team could be upset in hockey.

I know this has been discussed before, but why would you not want as many ranked teams as possible in the Tourney field? It makes no sense to be honest.

Re: Ranked Hockey teams that are not chosen for the NCAA Tourney

I see what you're saying, but I kinda like the fact that the NCAA Hockey tournament is as difficult as it is to make.

Comment

Given that the NCAA has a rule for sports that have a playoff stating that no more than 25% of the teams in that sport can make said playoffs we're doing pretty well. I think it is much more likely that the NCAA will go back to 12 with some programs folding than that they'll go to 20.

ETA: Fixed my error.
      Last edited by goldy_331; 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Or we could just rank the top 10 teams instead of the top 20. Then all the ranked teams could make it.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Given that the NCAA has a rule for sports that have a playoff stating that no more than 25% of the teams in that sport can make said playoffs we're doing pretty well. I think it is much more likely that the NCAA will go back to 16 with some programs folding than that they'll go to 20.
          I think you mean go back to 12, and I agree. I would say that there is probably no chance that the field expanded to 20 unless massive amounts of schools started hockey programs.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Nostrajimus View Post
            I know this has been discussed before, but why would you not want as many ranked teams as possible in the Tourney field?
            Suppose the rankings were for the top 25 teams? would you then want to have 25 teams make the tourney?

Alternately, we could limit our rankings only to the top 16 teams....then we wouldn't have any 'problem' al all!

From my (limited) perspective, I would not want there to be any correlation whatsoever between the number of 'ranked' teams and the number of teams that participate in the Tournament.

When more than one in four teams already make the tournament, that to me already is 'too many' now, rather than 'too few' .... except that we also have a tournament field that is determined by multiples of 4, and since 12 seems to be 'too few', we are 'stuck with' 16 as the next available number.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              I think you mean go back to 12, and I agree. I would say that there is probably no chance that the field expanded to 20 unless massive amounts of schools started hockey programs.
              Whoops.

Comment

Rankings mean nothing. So this is a pretty pointless discussion.

The number of playoff teams should be based on the number of teams playing, not an arbitrary number of teams that get ranked in papers and on web sites. Plus, the PWR system ranks all the teams in a sense. So does that mean all 50+ teams should make it?

Maybe we should give out participation ribbons too.

Also, FBS is not comparable, because they don't have a playoffs. So zero (0%!) teams in FBS make the playoffs.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                  Or we could just rank the top 10 teams instead of the top 20. Then all the ranked teams could make it.
                  Bingo.

Someone gets it. It's arbitrary. If we do a top 50 ranking, would it be a tragedy that some 34 ranked teams don't make it!? The teams that deserve to be in the tournament are in. The teams that don't make the hockey tourney don't deserve to be. Of course there might be a team that is in the tourney that arguably doesn't deserve it but if you agree with the previous two statements it's moot and would even show there are too many bids perhaps.

A while back they only did 10 teams. Then expanded to 15 teams. Now we have 20 teams being ranked. What good does this do other than giving a mediocre team something to feel good about temporarily (until their team gets exterminated in the postseason)?

Bottom line, with a 16 team tournament, if you're not good enough to get in, you're not good enough to win a title and you have no grounds for complaint on an NCAA bid not being received.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

USA Today does a 15-team poll, while USCHO does a 20-team poll. Were there any USA Today teams that did not make the tournament? Aside from fluke years, of course, where a bunch of Cinderellas get the autobid...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      USA Today does a 15-team poll, while USCHO does a 20-team poll. Were there any USA Today teams that did not make the tournament? Aside from fluke years, of course, where a bunch of Cinderellas get the autobid...
                      There's have to be, 'cause I imagine at least two teams every year that aren't ranked get an autobid.
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        I imagine at least two teams every year that aren't ranked get an autobid.
                        and from time to time they do quite well....I myself would not cut back on autobids, as it is a 'national' championship, not a 'top four or five teams from each of three power conferences' championship.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          and from time to time they do quite well....I myself would not cut back on autobids, as it is a 'national' championship, not a 'top four or five teams from each of three power conferences' championship.
                          Umm, ok.... I don't think anyone was saying cut back on the number of autobids, but thank you for your point regardless.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                            Umm, ok.... I don't think anyone was saying cut back on the number of autobids,
                            in this thread, (surprisingly?) not yet, anyway.....I have seen that opinion more than once on the board, however. I guess pre-emptive disagreement is a bit confusing!

Comment

The 25% rule is the reason FBS wil NEVER ever go the playoff route. I think that hockey should only have a top 10 (1 in 6), as that would take care of it.

All the other sports have at least 120 teams considered for the poll, so therefore a top 25 is comparable. The problem is everybody wants to say they are ranked.

UMO comes in at #20 this week out of 59. Big whoop, but they can proudly say they are "ranked". C'mon man!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X