D-I Championship Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-I Championship Belt

BELT UPDATE: The belt heads west. Minnesota Duluth knocks off Cornell twice last weekend. Shannon Miller is wearing the belt now. Bemidji State could be next

Yikes! Pursuit of Excellence could then stash the belt away in Kelowna, BC if they could pull off the upset next Wed. vs. Bemidji State.
    THINK PINK
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
      Yikes! Pursuit of Excellence could then stash the belt away in Kelowna, BC if they could pull off the upset next Wed. vs. Bemidji State.
      No. Exhibitions are not sanctioned contests, so the Belt is not on the line.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        After the last few weeks from BSU it would be a whole lot more than an upset if PoE beat BSU. The belt may be traveling a few miles West this weekend & a well deserved trip it is.

Comment

I agree with this ruling.

In the old days what would have happened is that even if PoE managed to win the game, at the next televised event Wally Karbo, while being interviewed by Marty O'Neill, would announce that AWA president Stanley Blackburn had ruled that BSU v. PoE was not sanctioned and therefore not an event at which the belt could pass. PoE would be required to have a representative appear on camera to sheepishly deliver the belt back to Karbo and some representative of BSU, I am thinking someone like Steve Sertich.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

How is there not a real belt passed around between fans
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              How is there not a real belt passed around between fans
              One of our guys held onto it despite the result at this past Frozen Four.

(Seriously, though, he does own a replica WWE IC championship belt.)
              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                In the old days what would have happened is that even if PoE managed to win the game, at the next televised event Wally Karbo, while being interviewed by Marty O'Neill, would announce that AWA president Stanley Blackburn had ruled that BSU v. PoE was not sanctioned and therefore not an event at which the belt could pass. PoE would be required to have a representative appear on camera to sheepishly deliver the belt back to Karbo and some representative of BSU, I am thinking someone like Steve Sertich.
                OH Gosh, you're old enough to know Wally Cardboard and Marty Bigdeal! If you remember matches being held at the Calhoun Beach Club Ballroom I'll know you are really old!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  OH Gosh, you're old enough to know Wally Cardboard and Marty Bigdeal! If you remember matches being held at the Calhoun Beach Club Ballroom I'll know you are really old!
                  He ain't the only one.

How about fall guy Kenny Jay?
                  Last edited by brookyone; 11-28-2014, 10:10 PM.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    The activities at the Calhoun Beach Club were TV tapings and therefore could only be considered "matches" in the very broadest sense of the term. They were barely even exhibitions. But, yes, certainly I remember those.

Mr. O'Neill used to frequent the same 3.2 joint where I occasionally whiled away an evening or six. He lived in the neighborhood and would drop by for the joint's signature "Coney Island" dogs. He was always a cordial and interesting conversation.

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    How about fall guy Kenny Jay?
                    In this particular instance perhaps PoE = Sodbuster Kenny Jay?
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Re: D-I Championship Belt

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      He ain't the only one.
                      Nertz! It's true then, what they say about women's hockey. Little kids and gray hairs. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        In this particular instance perhaps PoE = Sodbuster Kenny Jay?
                        That's him. Given the name for having a local landscaping biz on the side. His whole career was for being a fall guy and making opponents look good. Making the stars look like stars.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The belt is returning to Duluth tonight (sigh).
                          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

BU defended the Belt
                            with a win at Clarkson on Oct. 18
                            and a win at Maine on Oct. 24.
                            Maine took over the Belt with a win over BU on home ice on Oct. 25.
                            The Black Bears held the Belt through a tie at Connecticut on Oct. 31
                            and a win at Northeastern on Nov. 1.
                            Brown wrested the Belt away from Maine with a home win on Nov. 7.
                            The Bears defended against a Maine reversal on Nov. 8.
                            Cornell ended Brown's run with a win in Ithaca on Nov. 14.
                            Cornell retained the Belt by defeating Yale on Nov. 15
                            and taking care of Colgate on Nov. 18.
                            Minnesota-Duluth seized control by upending Cornell in Duluth on Nov. 21
                            and again on Nov. 22.
                            Bemidji State became the Belt holder for a day by topping the Bulldogs at the Sanford Center on Nov. 28.
                            Minnesota-Duluth decided it had been too hasty to part with the Belt and reclaimed it securing a series split on Nov. 29.
                            UMD kept control of the Belt after tying Ohio State in Columbus on Dec. 5
                            and earning a victory over the Buckeyes on Dec. 6.
                            The Belt will reside in Duluth over the holidays, and the Bulldogs will make their next defense on Jan. 10 when the Beavers come to town.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What's the ruling on shootouts for WCHA league games? Can The BELT change hands based on a shootout win or should that be considered a tie, like it does in the overall record and for NCAA seeding/ranking purposes. ARM, you have been appointed Commishioner of The BELT and TTT has been named Deputy Commish. Just don't let BC ever touch the thing because you'll have a hard time ripping it out of TTT's kung fu grip.
                              THINK PINK
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                                What's the ruling on shootouts for WCHA league games? Can The BELT change hands based on a shootout win or should that be considered a tie, like it does in the overall record and for NCAA seeding/ranking purposes. ARM, you have been appointed Commishioner of The BELT and TTT has been named Deputy Commish. Just don't let BC ever touch the thing because you'll have a hard time ripping it out of TTT's kung fu grip.
                                I have every confidence that commish ARM and Deputy commish TTT will state that the BELT does NOT change hands on a tie

Comment

Working...
                                X