X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XX - Growth Through Experience

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I'm not so obtuse as to think you just wanted to rub it in Wisconsin's face. You want to show EVERYONE how great the Gophers are and how we all owe you, er, your state everything that we have, evidently because of John Mariucci.

Look back at your posts and tell me where I'm wrong.

The best part is that you think anyone who follows UND, Denver or UW would have an inferiority complex over the Gophers. THAT'S rich.
    Are you happy? Now he's started a new thread on this.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Someone had mentioned earlier that Wisconsin is a team to watch out for to make a Frozen Four next year, and I completely agree if Zengerle is back in the mix.
      Look at the stat I posted. For the first time in Badger Hockey history, they are likely not going to get 1,000 shots on net. They have only won ONE road game this season so far, and that was at Mankato. They are almost certainly losing their best defenseman, and best player, to the NHL.

Kerdiles and Zulnick are good, and their team this season is young, but I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that this will be a Frozen Four team next season. I'm sorry, but I'm being honest. They will certainly be improved, and could possibly surprise and make it that far (with the exception of a dozen teams, anyone could), but I think very few people actually think that is a likely possibility.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
        Are you happy? Now he's started a new thread on this.

God deliver us!

At least it's not in this thread.

I've gotta stay out of there...

Comment

God deliver us!

I've gotta stay out of there...
          Your attendance is required.
          "My greatest achievement."
          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Look at the stat I posted. For the first time in Badger Hockey history, they are likely not going to get 1,000 shots on net. They have only won ONE road game this season so far, and that was at Mankato. They are almost certainly losing their best defenseman, and best player, to the NHL.

Kerdiles and Zulnick are good, and their team this season is young, but I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that this will be a Frozen Four team next season. I'm sorry, but I'm being honest. They will certainly be improved, and could possibly surprise and make it that far (with the exception of a dozen teams, anyone could), but I think very few people actually think that is a likely possibility.
            :with a straight face:

Wisconsin can be a Frozen Four team next season. They should be vastly improved on offense, and despite the potential loss of Schultz, still feature a very strong defense. IMO, it will be the play of their netminders which will make or brake the team. Given that the two goalies who saw the most significant amount of time are freshmen this season, it is certainly easy to think that they will improve by next year. Again, I'm not saying that absolutely will, but if you gave me a list to put ten teams on that I think would have the best chance to get to the Frozen Four next year, Wisconsin would be on it.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I'm not so obtuse as to think you just wanted to rub it in Wisconsin's face. You want to show EVERYONE how great the Gophers are and how we all owe you, er, your state everything that we have, evidently because of John Mariucci.

Look back at your posts and tell me where I'm wrong.

The best part is that you think anyone who follows UND, Denver or UW would have an inferiority complex over the Gophers. THAT'S rich.

First of all I have no issues with any of the programs you listed, not even the Badgers, and especially not the DU program or fanbase, my issue is with some of the posters on this board that have the gonads to incessantly smear the Gopher program and the fans yet never and I repeat never actually discuss or debate the points. Just like this thread here, so long as a Gopher fan comes along even in peace it turns into a brawl.

I'm not afraid to brawl, not even for a second, but the minute a Gopher fan engages a WI Hockey fan they're instantly labeled the arrogant Hockey fan. This discussion started out perfectly fine until a WI hockey fan got upset that wasn't even in the discussion, thats when the insults start flying.

YOU have constantly attacked the Gopher fans all over this board, and FS23 acts as if its his job to moderate the discussion.

So bash that program all you want, just remember thats where your "Badger" Bob Johnson hails from.. But I forgot, you "don't care about the history of the sport" silly me.

And btw, I posted that link for people to enjoy, not to rub it into a WI Hockey fans face.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

While it will take some significant growth, UW would have to be considered a dark horse candidate to make the F4 next year. Maybe not someone who starts the season as an obvious choice, but the PIECES will be in place to make a run if things fall into place. If I was in Vegas and I could bet I'd put money on the Badger to make the F4 at 15 to 1 odd or better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Wisconsin can be a Frozen Four team next season. They should be vastly improved on offense, and despite the potential loss of Schultz, still feature a very strong defense. IMO, it will be the play of their netminders which will make or brake the team. Given that the two goalies who saw the most significant amount of time are freshmen this season, it is certainly easy to think that they will improve by next year. Again, I'm not saying that absolutely will, but if you gave me a list to put ten teams on that I think would have the best chance to get to the Frozen Four next year, Wisconsin would be on it.
                  I guess we'll agree to disagree because I have heard no concrete reasons for while they will be "vastly" better offensively and won't miss Schultz's presence defensively (they are giving up nearly 3 goals a game, so not sure what you mean by "still" "strong" defense). At least that explain why they should be considered a Top 10 favorite to make the Frozen Four (not make the tournament, but make it to the Frozen Four) next season after the horrible season they've had this year with Schultz and Zengerle. Needless to say, they aten't in my Top 10, and I would venture to guess they aren't in many people's.
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    First of all I have no issues with any of the programs you listed, not even the Badgers, and especially not the DU program or fanbase, my issue is with some of the posters on this board that have the gonads to incessantly smear the Gopher program and the fans yet never and I repeat never actually discuss or debate the points. Just like this thread here, so long as a Gopher fan comes along even in peace it turns into a brawl.

I'm not afraid to brawl, not even for a second, but the minute a Gopher fan engages a WI Hockey fan they're instantly labeled the arrogant Hockey fan. This discussion started out perfectly fine until a WI hockey fan got upset that wasn't even in the discussion, thats when the insults start flying.

YOU have constantly attacked the Gopher fans all over this board, and FS23 acts as if its his job to moderate the discussion.

So bash that program all you want, just remember thats where your "Badger" Bob Johnson hails from.. But I forgot, you "don't care about the history of the sport" silly me.

And btw, I posted that link for people to enjoy, not to rub it into a WI Hockey fans face.
                    Please. Let it go. Please. You somehow managed to make me miss VarsityWisconsin. I hope you are happy...

http://xkcd.com/386/
                    Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      Your attendance is required.
                      I just read it. Oh my...

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I really, really hope this assessment is accurate, or well...more accurate than my pessimistic current assessments.

I've been lamenting this team having too many grinders, and no snipers whatsoever. Not only that but I'm unsure of the goaltending just yet.

The D I'm hoping will sort itself out. McCabe looks like he'll be another McBain type, Simonelli like Jeff Dessner, Faust and Daly I'm hoping can take big steps next year.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Lack of snipers....Eaves doesn't develop marginal forward talent. The studs generally pan out, but when is the last time a forward under Eaves has blasted onto the scene out to score of no-where who wasn't supposed to do that? Gorowsky and Turnbull blasted (lose use of term) onto the scene, but they were semi highly recruited guys who rode the pine for 3 years or wallowed on the 4th line where they were miscast. How good could Gorowsky and Turnbull been had they played with non-grinders on the 3rd/4th line. Some guy who scored 3 goals as a fr, maybe 6 as a so, 11 as a jr, then 20 as a sr. Has it ever happened with Eaves? It did with Sauer, but that was a different era, I'm not sure you can compare the 2. Eaves also has preference for playing freshmen F over upperclassmen, we've all seen this. It seems to me once Eaves decides you can't "do it", your are left for dead on the pine or miscast and he'll play fr ahead of you.

If you can't develop marginal forward talent into impactedful players as seniors, maybe just 1 a year, when you do miss in judging talent or someone leaves early, there is no safety net, you have no depth. That is what we see today.

UW has 1 stud forward (Zengerlee), 4 decent forwards (Lee, Barnes, LaBate (maybe a stretch, but potential is there) & Mersch and 3 lines of 4th line grinders. How did UW get into this predicament? Basically guys left early, there really weren't any busts that I can pick out, other than Thurber getting booted. Kerdiles and Zulinik will help a ton, but honestly they probably won't shine brightly until the So. years. That would put Rumpel and Petersen in their Jr years. I would think that would be UW's best chance to contend.

As I see it, the long term issues are 2 fold, Eaves not being able to develop non stud forwards and the horribly unbalanced classes, which I didn't bring up but we all know that's the other pink elephant in the room.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                            And Chuck's true failure here was not getting a 2 for 1 and getting rid of the other nuisance.
                            I'm not that bad RWD!! :-p
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              UW has 1 stud forward (Zengerlee), 4 decent forwards (Lee, Barnes, LaBate (maybe a stretch, but potential is there) & Mersch and 3 lines of 4th line grinders. How did UW get into this predicament? Basically guys left early, there really weren't any busts that I can pick out, other than Thurber getting booted. Kerdiles and Zulinik will help a ton, but honestly they probably won't shine brightly until the So. years. That would put Rumpel and Petersen in their Jr years. I would think that would be UW's best chance to contend.

As I see it, the long term issues are 2 fold, Eaves not being able to develop non stud forwards and the horribly unbalanced classes, which I didn't bring up but we all know that's the other pink elephant in the room.
                              that's exactly what I'm fearing is the fact they've got 3-4 talented forwards (1 of whom is elite) and about 6-8 grinders. that's really making it tough on a team to compete for an NCAA spot let alone elite status, and makes it tough on the 1 top line to keep fresh.

last year I'd argue Johnson, Dolan, Turnbull were more of the same, grinder-type guys that might pop in 8-9 goals a piece.

I guess what they need is Kerdiles and Zulinick to come in with an impact ala Zent or Heatley and have 2-3 forwards the following year who are in the same mold as the Earl's/Zengerle's/Zent's/Fairchild's etc., and then they'll be getting back to where they need to be?
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                I guess what they need is Kerdiles and Zulinick to come in with an impact ala Zent or Heatley and have 2-3 forwards the following year who are in the same mold as the Earl's/Zengerle's/Zent's/Fairchild's etc., and then they'll be getting back to where they need to be?
                                Hopefully they will be as advertised, but the issue is that they can't be the end all. There needs to be another 1 or 2 of them coming in every year or every other year or we'll be right back in the same boat if/when these two leave early.

Players leaving early isn't the only problem. Not having their replacement when they do leave early has been an even bigger issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X