This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    He's back overseas with Djurgardens IF Stockholm. 11 points in 25 games.
    I wonder why he went back. I thought he did alright with Hamilton last year.

(more money for him in Sweden? I could see that)
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XX - Growth Through Experience

I already wrote this in the UAH thread, but I met Blake Geoffrion at the UAH vs. UNO game tonight at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. I walked up to him after the game and introduced myself as a Gopher fan. I told him I enjoyed watching him play in college, but loved watching him play in the pros (I am a Preds fan). Seemed like a very nice/classy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I wonder why he went back. I thought he did alright with Hamilton last year.

(more money for him in Sweden? I could see that)
        Yes...I don't know the exact figures for his deal but he can basically make like 60k with Hamilton with a low chance at a shot at the NHL. Or he can play overseas and get six digits tax free.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
          I already wrote this in the UAH thread, but I met Blake Geoffrion at the UAH vs. UNO game tonight at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. I walked up to him after the game and introduced myself as a Gopher fan. I told him I enjoyed watching him play in college, but loved watching him play in the pros (I am a Preds fan). Seemed like a very nice/classy guy.
          While here, he came to my son's team practice once and was great with the kids.

Our seats on Friday are in the section where the UW parents are given tickets and his dad sat next to us often over the years that Blake was here. His dad was incredibly friendly and gracious.

I'm not comfortable with bugging people, so I never asked for anything from pops, but he was always asking how my kid's season was going, telling us about his other boys (even before they were at UAH), volunteering Blake to come to more of our practices, wondering if my kids wanted to go down and see the locker room etc...

I'm guessing that the apple didn't fall far from the tree in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
            Not that this pertains to UW hockey, but why was the game played in Nashville? I see in the USCHO scoreboard that attendence was 957 at the Bridgestone Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Yes...I don't know the exact figures for his deal but he can basically make like 60k with Hamilton with a low chance at a shot at the NHL. Or he can play overseas and get six digits tax free.
              I don't think what he makes overseas is tax free, but he will still be making more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                I don't think what he makes overseas is tax free, but he will still be making more.
                It is tax free, and they often pay for your housing and transportation. My cousin played overseas for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  It is tax free, and they often pay for your housing and transportation. My cousin played overseas for 5 years.
                  You are still required to pay US federal income tax on your income. It may not be taxed by the nation where you play (by treaty with the US) but that doesn't make it tax free.

Originally posted by IRS
                  If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien living or traveling outside the United States, you generally are required to file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns and pay estimated tax in the same way as those residing in the United States.
                  IRS Link
                  Last edited by Almington; 12-03-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

You are still required to pay US federal income tax on your income. It may not be taxed by the nation where you play (by treaty with the US) but that doesn't make it tax free.

IRS Link
                    I'll have to talk to him, but that wasn't the impression I got. I believe there was a way around that. I'll see him at Christmas time and will ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      I'll have to talk to him, but that wasn't the impression I got. I believe there was a way around that. I'll see him at Christmas time and will ask him.
                      But that isn't to say that US tax code is clear or easy to understand. Their are income exemptions that can also apply, I am far from an expert on US tax law and foreign income reporting.

Comment

But that isn't to say that US tax code is clear or easy to understand. Their are income exemptions that can also apply, I am far from an expert on US tax law and foreign income reporting.
                        Yeah, neither am I. I do know that his team had an accountant that helped him with everything. I am sure most players would be lost if they had to do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Admittedly I'm far from an expert on the subject but in talking with some different agents they have all said it's tax free. I don't know the details on how or why.

Comment

wow. Osieki really has tOSU playing well. 8-2-1 in conference 11-3-1 overall I believe?

sweep NMU, Michigan and now LSSU consecutively.

kudos to Coach O
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              I work and live in Sweden and trust me he is not getting paid tax free in Sweden. The tax rate isn't as bad as people make it out, but no one is getting paid tax free in Sweden....I am almost 100% sure of that. You also have to claim your oversea's earnings in your US taxes.

He probably came back due to money and Stockholm being one of best cities in the world to live in.
                              Last edited by bucky15; 12-04-2011, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                                I work and live in Sweden and trust me he is not getting paid tax free in Sweden. The tax rate isn't as bad as people make it out, but no one is getting paid tax free in Sweden....I am almost 100% sure of that. You also have to claim your oversea's earnings in your US taxes.

He probably came back due to money and Stockholm being one of best cities in the world to live in.
                                I am almost positive they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X