Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whiny Whiny OZ Fans

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
    Nothing, if you like hanging out in the bars. Those of us that don't have to find something else to do once racing season ends at Brewerton, Fulton and Oswego. A large number of the townies at Laker games are racing people that use Laker hockey to keep them from going stir crazy during the winter.
    I hear ya just b*ll breaking, things get to serious here at times.....hey come down to NYC plenty to do here...24hrs to Genny..ps see all you fine laker fans in FEb for platty/pots

Comment

I've been a fan since I was a freshman in the fall of 99. I'm happy with the current success, but I know it wasn't all wine and roses on the shores of Lake Ontario. There have been plenty of frustrating moments, but I still love this team and I would continue to do so even if they went all The College at Brockport on me. We lost fair and square to Utica. Let's move on and start conference play on the right foot. To paint all Oz fans as whiny is using a broad brush to paint a small number.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        I've been a fan since I was a freshman in the fall of 99. I'm happy with the current success, but I know it wasn't all wine and roses on the shores of Lake Ontario. There have been plenty of frustrating moments, but I still love this team and I would continue to do so even if they went all The College at Brockport on me. We lost fair and square to Utica. Let's move on and start conference play on the right foot. To paint all Oz fans as whiny is using a broad brush to paint a small number.
        The biggest problem is that those that are like that are quite vociferous and tend to try to pass off their views as that of all of "Laker Nation." They have the same effect on me as many of the members of "Red Sox Nation" have on me.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

In less than 24 hours we will have this week end's games started and will have new events to whine about discuss. Get your pick 'em entries in, your LPS entry in, and lets drop the puck!

And let this thread fade away.............
          Last edited by UCBadger; 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM.
          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
            The puck went under the crossbar, into the net, the light came on and the scoreboard changed, end of story. They weren't screwed, there was no phantom goal, they simply got beat by a hungrier team. Utica is big and quick and they have good goalies, and they match up perfectly with Oswego. Utica is built to beat teams like Oswego and they did just that, and I say good for them. It is good for D3 hockey to have a team like Utica to be a threat on the National level.

OSULaker09, if you think Oswego should win every game then it must be you haven't been following them that long. I have been following Oswego State hockey since I was five (about 20 years) and in that time I have seen them blow a lot of opportunities to get to number 1, to win the SUNYAC playoffs and to win the National championship by playing uninspired and committing awful turnovers. You would think some of you folks would be used to it by now. All of the sudden Oswego has won five straight over Plattsburgh and we have people (not just on this board) thinking they are invincible. I will let you in on a little secret, they aren't. And as far as there not being anything to do in Utica, there isn't much to do in Oswego during the winter either unless you spend most of your time in the bars.
            Haha, does anyone have a sense of humor anymore? My comment wasn't meant to be taken so seriously guys. Do I honestly think Oswego can win every game? No. Will I root for them to win every game? Yes. Do I think they have a chance to win against any opponent on any given night? Yes. I've been an Oz fan since I was a freshman there in 2005 and will continue to be a fan for life. I have also seen firsthand that they are far from invincible, but the last few years have been good to us, so I think a little confidence and arrogance is warranted when you consider yourself a top program. I speak for my own thoughts and view points. In no way do I represent all of "laker nation." I'm just providing an insight as to why some laker fans are cocky and will "challenge" a loss. Love us or hate us it's all in good fun. Rivalries are a great part of sports. Win or lose I'll still sleep easy at night.
            Last edited by OSULaker09; 11-04-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

This is kinda like anonymous group-therapy. People have bared their souls, and it's a fun read.

Re: Utica vs. Oswego- as to which is the worse dump- it's not such a tough call...

While Oswego will elicit no favorable comparisons to Paris, Utica is truly a hole, the presence of several exceptional and varied ethnic eateries on the periphery of the kill-zone mitigating that remark just a bit. Oswego is a one-horse town as well, but it's not so bombed-out, and it's on that amazing lake... Point to Oswego, and this sort of thing just shows us why we need college hockey way up here.

I'm thinking that this UC/Oswego thing will turn into a genuine rivalry very soon, if it hasn't already. It was nice to see so many Laker fans make the trip to the The Aud. (Aside from the fat, bespectacled, 20-something loud-mouth right behind us, screeching for a call for OSU every time there was any physical contact between the teams... He can stay home next time.)

Looking forward to the next match-up. We're going to see the new OSU arena, stay downtown if possible, and have as much fun as we can, even if we have to resort to ice-fishing and drinking cheap peach schappes... Win or lose, it sounds like an entertaining foray into the the hinterlands.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-04-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                This is kinda like anonymous group-therapy. People have bared their souls, and it's a fun read.

I'm thinking that this UC/Oswego thing will turn into a genuine rivalry very soon, if it hasn't already. It was nice to see so many Laker fans make the trip to the The Aud. (Aside from the fat, bespectacled, 20-something loud-mouth right behind us, screeching for a call for OSU every time there was any physical contact between the teams... He can stay home next time.)
                ...He was sent out of town on a one-way bus ticket with a season ticket to The Aud...his name is Clem and his parole officer says he's harmless....
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Best. Thread. Ever.
                  Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                  1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                  21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                    Best. Thread. Ever.
                    Second best thread ever next to the Plattsburgh State offseason thread
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Waaaaa we only scored 4 goals tonight....ehhhh, we won, but we didn't skate very hard....waaaaaa we should have scored 6 goals, genny are a bunch of cheaters too, waaaaaaaaaa!

This is fun, can we leave this thread up all season? Can we, can we? Waaaaaaa.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

In all fairness, the game was a little too physical with Utica getting away with a lot. Yes Hockey is suppose to be a physical game but there's a difference between physical and aggressive. The people I was with were none to pleased either with some of the hits that Oswego took that were not called for penalties. Fans are going to be fans, and they will defend their teams especially when they are taking cheap shots, where were you sitting because next time you may want to sit away from the opposing teams fans if you don't enjoy intense fans.
                        Oswego Class of '11

2012-13 ECAC-West Pick-Em' Runner-up
                        2013-14 Last Person Standing Third Place
                        2014-15 National D-III Pick'Em Runner-up

Oswego State Lakers
                        D-III National Champs 2007
                        SUNYAC Champions: 1980-82, 1984, 1989, 1991, 2003, 2010, 2013, 2014
                        NCAA D-III Frozen Four: 1987, 2003, 2007, 2010-14

Comment

Ahhh, I got beat to the "we didn't win by enough" comment (disclaimer-it is to be read as a joke). The one big thing I have noticed and seems to be the norm over the years is that they are trying to get too cute with their passes. When they dumped the puck in behind the net and started cycling the puck around they did their most damage. They stepped away from that big time in the 2nd and allowed Genny to get back into the game. Our forecheck could not be handled by the Genny defencemen and the stepping away from the game plan they had to take advantage of that made no sense to me. Classic Laker Hockey yet again, meaning that there is always a period that the boys seem to lose focus and rest on their laurels. I have yet to hear or see a game this year where they have played a hard 60 minutes. Hopefully that will come tomorrow, and that will get the "Lake Show" into full gear.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan11 View Post
                            In all fairness, the game was a little too physical with Utica getting away with a lot. Yes Hockey is suppose to be a physical game but there's a difference between physical and aggressive. The people I was with were none to pleased either with some of the hits that Oswego took that were not called for penalties. Fans are going to be fans, and they will defend their teams especially when they are taking cheap shots, where were you sitting because next time you may want to sit away from the opposing teams fans if you don't enjoy intense fans.
                            "Intense" is fine..."Loud and ignorant"..? Not so much.

A certain degree of bias among fans is perhaps unavoidable, but only the most prejudiced fan would call Utica's play "cheap". In fact, the primary reason UC prevailed was their discipline.

I do believe that OSU was called for a couple of marginal infractions, but they took a few lazy and/or selfish penalties as well, and Utica did not. (Oswego's roster is stacked with OJHL guys, and the culture of that league is much more permissive than is American college hockey, fer sure.)

And as far as sitting away from visiting fans, that's not going to happen, not in our house, and most certainly not when we have reserved seating. It's incumbent on visiting fans to muster up a little decorum when on the road, or to face the consequences of being unwelcome... That's what I do when I'm in someone else's home. (It's a simple question of basic manners.)

Comment

so I guess this thread is here to stay...Oy Vey...
                              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan11 View Post
                                Do we really have to ask if this thread is here to stay?

Comment

Working...
                                X