Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I'll miss clueless Minnesota fans cheering on Duluth thinking they are the Gophers.
    Nobody thinks they're the Gophers.. Gopher fans really only really dislike 2 fanbases. UND and the Badgers. This whole "I hate the Gophers" coming from the other MN D1 programs is fairly new (the last decade).. Most Gopher fans I know will always root for the other MN schools come tournament time (If Gophs are out of it), if that gets their panties in a twist thats on them, they'll eventually grow out of it, or not. Thats been that way for as long as I can remember and I doubt that changes anytime soon.
    Last edited by mariucci; 11-02-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      That's your opinion. The last "memorable" game against Minnesota was the 2007 West Regional Final. Since then, we've had several races with Denver for the MacNaughton, a couple meetings in the Final Five, including last year's 2OT thriller, and an NCAA Regional Final. On top of that, we had the 2003 WCHA First Round, which was epic, and the 2004 Regional Final and 2005 Title Game. Throw in the Robbie Bina incident, Jesse Martin incident, Gwozdecky dancing on the dash boards, and running out to center ice, and I think the DU-UND rivalry is bigger than UM-UND. FWIW, I don't think the majority of Sioux fans agree with me, but I do think many of the diehards feel the same way that I do.

Historically, I would argue that UM-UND is the biggest. One of the two teams has been at the top of college hockey since forever, and more often than not it is both. Denver basically sucked for 35 years.
      Yes, and I didn't present it as anything other than my opinion.

The '07 West Regional was the last memorable game? Don't forget the 2010 WCHA Playoff series, last year's series at the Ralph featuring the Friday night brawl, the '08 post-game handshake scrum at Mariucci, and the 2009 white-washing at the Ralph (maybe only memorable for Sioux fans). I think that you're too quickly writing off the last four years. I don't discount the significance of some of the DU match ups, but the UND/UM rivalry hasn't exactly cooled off even with the Gophers recent drought.

Comment

Best way to judge North Dakota's biggest rival: See which series, either Sioux vs. Gophers or Sioux vs. Pioneers, generates the most pages of back and forth banter on this forum. We'll have to wait 'til February to know, but so far Sioux vs. Gophers is up to 25 pages, and it's only Wednesday.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Best way to judge North Dakota's biggest rival: See which series, either Sioux vs. Gophers or Sioux vs. Pioneers, generates the most pages of back and forth banter on this forum. We'll have to wait 'til February to know, but so far Sioux vs. Gophers is up to 25 pages, and it's only Wednesday.
          So you're saying that DU's fanbase is equal to Minnesota's?
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            LOL! Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
              LOL! Not even close.
              Exactly.
              North Dakota

Comment

Since the announcement if the NCHC, I think they have surpassed us in the hot air department.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Since the announcement if the NCHC, I think they have surpassed us in the hot air department.
                  Perhaps a poster or two on here, but on campus nobody talks about the National at all.
                  North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by burd
                    After more that three years of remission, my gopher hate has been giving me problems again. I am jittery much of the time, and I'm ashamed to say the dog looks like he's just begging to be kicked every time I turn around. Getting a decent night's sleep has been a problem too, until several nights ago.

I had this dream where I was standing in this grassy pasture that stretched out as far as the eye could see. Little gophers were poking their heads out of holes and scurrying around like they do, flicking their tails, chewing cowdung, and starting little gopher skirmishes they then ran to avoid. That part made me a little edgy, but I looked down to see that I was holding this big long garden hose that seemed long enough to reach every part of the pasture. It was hooked up to a spigot the size of a fire hydrant, and I could feel the pressure of all that water pressing against the hose. Words can't describe how wonderful it felt to recognize the possiblities. Everything was back in order, and I've slept like a baby since. Life is good.
                    And I had a dream of 38 Sioux swinging in mankato from the gallows.... Oh wait that was REALITY :-) Gophers still sweep 6-2 6-2
                    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Go you Green and White
                    Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Fight with all your might!
                    Rah! Rah! Rah!
                    We are here to cheer you
                    We are out to win your fame,
                    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                      And I had a dream of 38 Sioux swinging in mankato from the gallows.... Oh wait that was REALITY :-) Gophers still sweep 6-2 6-2
                      Now who's the hostile and abusive one?
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Ha, me??? Never.....

Go Bemidji Beavers
                        Go you Green and White
                        Go Bemidji Beavers
                        Rah! Rah! Rah!
                        We are here to cheer you
                        So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Still the Sioux. At least for a year anyway.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

But then again I don't think about kicking dogs either....

Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Go you Green and White
                            Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Rah! Rah! Rah!
                            We are here to cheer you
                            So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

I'll miss clueless Minnesota fans cheering on Duluth thinking they are the Gophers.
                              Too be fair, if you squint or are old (like so many Gopher fans) its **** near impossible to tell the difference
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                Mankato, duh. They built a friggin library on the site. Right across the street? A hotel.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X