Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Read the book.
    Hey, you're talking to a Sioux fan here. Give me pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      And if the Gophers improve the product on the ice and the Sioux struggle for an extended period, it will go back to being that way.

So please, save the Sue fans are inherently more loyal bull crap for someone who doesn't know better.
      Who has a bigger fanbase? You were the one that brought it up. When the Gophers success goes away, so do their fans. We aren't talking about 15 years ago. We are talking about now. I'm glad the Gophers are 7-1 and have people paying attention to them, but if they happen to falter a bit, I am sure the Gopher fans will go back into hiding.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Why do you repeatedly try to turn threads into a "which fanbase is bigger" contest? Who cares?
        You apparently do given the post that followed this question.
        The Gopher fanbase is not nearly as loyal as the Sioux fanbase is, and anybody that has eyeballs and has been to Mariucci and Xcel for the Final Five can tell you that.
        So what exactly are you basing this claim on - fan (mis)behavior or non-attendance? In the first case, any large fanbase (including UND's) has plenty of dip****s in it (we've all seen that screen shot of a guy flicking off the Michigan player in last spring's F4). In the second case, UND almost certainly endured a period of **** attendance in the early to mid '90s (which was the last time they had a prolonged period of crappy teams). The point? Every program has its down periods which correspond to lackluster fan support.
        The excuses may be valid (North Dakota has no pro sports teams, Gophers haven't been good past few years), but that's all they are. Excuses. Gopher fans come out of the woodwork when the team is good, but when the team sucks no one follows them.
        It's quite humorous reading such an idiotic claim here. Some of the Gopher fans posting on here have loyally followed the program for 40 years or more. I'm not that old, and I'm approaching 25 years as an active Gopher fan (no small feat since I'm not originally from the twin cities). The simple fact of the matter is every team has a smaller core group of diehards that will pay attention throughout the season year after year no matter how bad the team is and a much larger group of hangers-on that are only lukewarm about it and will do or watch something else when the program falls on hard times. The challenges regarding attendance are numerous here and have been covered many times in the past. I won't waste time dealing with them again, but I will mention the ones that matter to me personally and explain why I don't attend the games anymore at Mariucci. It really boils down to the fact that the experience is not worth the cost. A ticket + parking will run about $50 per game. Given the fact the atmosphere there typically is terrible (due to a number of factors), I just don't view it as worth my money, particularly when I can see the game on a 60" HD screen with surround sound at home for nothing.

But by all means, please continue with your nonsensical judgment of another group of hockey fans. If REA was run identically to Mariucci, you probably wouldn't want to attend games there, either.
        Last edited by Bakunin; 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          Wow! That has to be one of the stupidest things written on the board.
          Ha!

Far from it, have you read the drivel you post...

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            I thought you swore not to post on this site anymore.
            The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Who has a bigger fanbase? You were the one that brought it up. When the Gophers success goes away, so do their fans. We aren't talking about 15 years ago. We are talking about now. I'm glad the Gophers are 7-1 and have people paying attention to them, but if they happen to falter a bit, I am sure the Gopher fans will go back into hiding.
              So you (and a couple others) are picking the last couple years to define the fanbase, can I do the same with UND? Can I pick a couple years and use that to define UND's fanbase? You and thse others weren't singing this tune a couple years ago right...

Anyone who thinks the Gopher HOCKEY fanbase isn't big has lost their marbles or just wants to believe that.. I actually feel a little dumber for having read that.. Its a sleeping giant right now. I cant believe im reading that from a conference foe (Mavs), when the Gophs typically (prior to the past couple seasons) had one of the largest traveling fanbases, one that filled your Mavs stands, UMD etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                No, I didn't bring it up. Go back and read thru the thread. Speaking of learning to read, go back and re-read my response to this exact point you already tried to make.

Your fan base is hardly immune to the exact things you are accusing our fan base of being. It isn't opinion, it is fact. Why? Because it has happened.

Comment

No, I didn't bring it up. Go back and read thru the thread. Speaking of learning to read, go back and re-read my response to this exact point you already tried to make.

Your fan base is hardly immune to the exact things you are accusing our fan base of being. It isn't opinion, it is fact. Why? Because it has happened.
                  What makes this post and the post questioning the size of the fanbase a laugh is these would have been the 2 dumbest posts or suggestions ever made on this or any college board EVER only a short couple seasons ago...

Not only was the Mooch and the barn packed since I was a kid (im 42), nevermind the largest television viewership, almost every Goph road conference game had a large # of Gopher fans in attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                    What makes this post and the post questioning the size of the fanbase a laugh is these would have been the 2 dumbest posts or suggestions ever made on this or any college board EVER only a short couple seasons ago...

Not only was the Mooch and the barn packed since I was a kid (im 42), nevermind the largest television viewership, almost every Goph road conference game had a large # of Gopher fans in attendance.
                    Exactly.
                    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Not sure what the hell MavHockey is talking about. I have seen plenty of Gopher shirts/hoodies/hats/etc. at the last couple of F5's.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Not sure what the hell MavHockey is talking about. I have seen plenty of Gopher shirts/hoodies/hats/etc. at the last couple of F5's.
                        Me too. I see what he is saying about the U of M being the largest school in the biggest hockey state, but I don't think anyone is denying that this is a major factor in why the Gophers have a large fan base.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Typical Mankato student...absolutely clueless...

Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            This kid is so deluded that he thinks he's an Iowa fan. Don't expect him to make any sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Typical Mankato student...absolutely clueless...

Crap. I set myself up for that pretty bad.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                                You apparently do given the post that followed this question.

So what exactly are you basing this claim on - fan (mis)behavior or non-attendance? In the first case, any large fanbase (including UND's) has plenty of dip****s in it (we've all seen that screen shot of a guy flicking off the Michigan player in last spring's F4). In the second case, UND almost certainly endured a period of **** attendance in the early to mid '90s (which was the last time they had a prolonged period of crappy teams). The point? Every program has its down periods which correspond to lackluster fan support.

It's quite humorous reading such an idiotic claim here. Some of the Gopher fans posting on here have loyally followed the program for 40 years or more. I'm not that old, and I'm approaching 25 years as an active Gopher fan (no small feat since I'm not originally from the twin cities). The simple fact of the matter is every team has a smaller core group of diehards that will pay attention throughout the season year after year no matter how bad the team is and a much larger group of hangers-on that are only lukewarm about it and will do or watch something else when the program falls on hard times. The challenges regarding attendance are numerous here and have been covered many times in the past. I won't waste time dealing with them again, but I will mention the ones that matter to me personally and explain why I don't attend the games anymore at Mariucci. It really boils down to the fact that the experience is not worth the cost. A ticket + parking will run about $50 per game. Given the fact the atmosphere there typically is terrible (due to a number of factors), I just don't view it as worth my money, particularly when I can see the game on a 60" HD screen with surround sound at home for nothing.

But by all means, please continue with your nonsensical judgment of another group of hockey fans. If REA was run identically to Mariucci, you probably wouldn't want to attend games there, either.
                                I am basing the claim on attendance. Attendance at the Final Five, attendance at Mariucci, attendance at REA, and attendance at the NHC when the Gophers and Sioux play there. I am an SCSU fan. I dont like the Sioux, and I know that every fanbase has diehards and casual fans. I just want JDubbs to get of his high horse and quit acting like the Gopher hockey fanbase is greater than any other, which he also did in the Super League thread.
                                Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X