Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 Scores and Highlights - Let the season begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 Scores and Highlights - Let the season begin!

Plattsburgh and Norwich tied at 2 heading to overtime.

Plattsburgh goals are by Rutherford and Klassen.

Norwich goals by Gove and and DeBus.

Five minutes to decide it.

Shots are 32-11 Norwich. Eerily similiar to last year's Norwich/Platty game at Kreitzberg.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Norwich wins it 3-2 overtime.

Kaycie Anderson nets the game winner off an assist from Melissa Rundlett. Sarianne Lynn gets an assist as well.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Norwich wins it 3-2 overtime.

Kaycie Anderson nets the game winner off an assist from Melissa Rundlett. Sarianne Lynn gets an assist as well.
        Curious Prez....Even strength goal?

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
          Curious Prez....Even strength goal?
          You do not win at ze kreitsberg....No soup for you!
          Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Great trip to Northfield for the Plattsburgh-Norwich game , notwithstanding the couple of white out miles coming back down I-89. The big crowd at Kreitzberg certainly got their money's worth! Norwich was dominant for much of the game, but was unable to solve Cardinal net-minder Aveson (who had a good game and did a nice job controlling the puck; none of the juicy rebounds for Cadet forwards to feast on). Norwich's relentless forecheck produced the first goal when Anderson intercepted a pass on the right boards, got the puck into the corner to Gove; she spotted and fed DeBus on the doorstep and DeBus shovelled the puck under Aveson. Plattsburgh came back to tie things at 1 in the 2nd on only their 6th shot of the night. Klassen grabbed the puck behind the Norwich net and got it to an unchecked MacInnis who walked out from low stickside of Norwich goalie Fisk and beat her with a low wrist shot to the far side. The 3rd saw the Cardinals take the lead on a similar play from behind the net; Kistner fed Rutherford whose backhand from in close got under Fisk. I am sure at this point that many in the crowd had a sense of deja vu, particularly when Aveson stoned Anderson from the top of the crease around 9 minutes of the 3rd, but there was to be no upset this time. Norwich finally cashed in a powerplay with Sharman getting the puck down right wing to Lynn who made a play into Gove in the slot; she wristed it under Aveson to tie at 2. OT saw Fisk make a nice stop about 2 minutes in; play continued with Anderson broking out through center ice, down left wing, and with Norwich making a change, Anderson shot wide, got a pass back from Rundlett and beat Aveson for the gamewinner. Norwich outplayed Plattsburgh and deserved the win, but the Cardinals were coming on and were having sucess grinding down low as the game wore on. Play was much more even in the 3rd and I am sure the Cadets were more than pleased to be the ones lighting the lamp in OT.

Comment

Having watched the GAC/RF and Platty/Norwich games online this week, and recognizing that game flow looks alot different via video, it strikes me that ranking the two Western powers no higher than 6 and 7 is justified. IMHO those teams just do not have the depth of talent that I saw last night.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                Having watched the GAC/RF and Platty/Norwich games online this week, and recognizing that game flow looks alot different via video, it strikes me that ranking the two Western powers no higher than 6 and 7 is justified. IMHO those teams just do not have the depth of talent that I saw last night.
                Spike I watched both games as well and tend to agree. I tuned into the GAC/RF game just in time to hear the announcer absolutley butcher "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan" when trying to advise his audience of the hometown of RF goaler Ashley Kuechle.
                I did however think the officiating in the GAC/RF game was significantly better than last nights match.
                Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                  Spike I watched both games as well and tend to agree. I tuned into the GAC/RF game just in time to hear the announcer absolutley butcher "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan" when trying to advise his audience of the hometown of RF goaler Ashley Kuechle.
                  I did however think the officiating in the GAC/RF game was significantly better than last nights match.
                  I've never been a fan of D-III women's hockey officiating. With that said, all other things being equal, its easier for the refs to screw up a game envolving two big talented fast teams. I think if the same crew from last night was doing a game between Weslyan and St. Mikes, they would probably do a much better job.

by the way, don't let Phil know we agree on something.

Comment

I've never been a fan of D-III women's hockey officiating. With that said, all other things being equal, its easier for the refs to screw up a game envolving two big talented fast teams. I think if the same crew from last night was doing a game between Weslyan and St. Mikes, they would probably do a much better job.

I actually tend to go the other way on the officiating...When you have the weaker teams where there is a huge range in skill level, I think it can be harder to discern what is actually a penalty and what is someone that is just weak on her skates going down way too easily. When everyone is bigger, stronger, and faster, some tickytack things may be let go, but the things that look like penalties generally are, because kids aren't falling down everytime the wind blows. If they're not being called it's because the ref missed it, not because there was any cognitive dissonance over whether it was actually a penalty or just some kid keeling over.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                      I actually tend to go the other way on the officiating...When you have the weaker teams where there is a huge range in skill level, I think it can be harder to discern what is actually a penalty and what is someone that is just weak on her skates going down way too easily. When everyone is bigger, stronger, and faster, some tickytack things may be let go, but the things that look like penalties generally are, because kids aren't falling down everytime the wind blows. If they're not being called it's because the ref missed it, not because there was any cognitive dissonance over whether it was actually a penalty or just some kid keeling over.
                      All true. By the same token, with two fast teams a weaker ref has trouble getting close enough to the action to make the right call. Also, calling obvious penalties is something that my grandma could do. Knowing when to not call something when two quality players are competing 50/50 is where the skill comes in.

Comment

All true. By the same token, with two fast teams a weaker ref has trouble getting close enough to the action to make the right call. Also, calling obvious penalties is something that my grandma could do. Knowing when to not call something when two quality players are competing 50/50 is where the skill comes in.
                        Your last sentence I agree 100%....I also hate it when a stronger player gets penalized for being stronger. Silly.

Comment

....grrrrr...cognitive dissonance....cue the cutty...

BTW, ice hockey refs are hall-of-famers compared to field hockey umpires -- no contest

as much of a sandstorm as they can put up in a night, they aren't awarding penalty shots and all but putting the puck in the net for minor transgressions.

I do note some regional differences in the reffing, and I am curious if they are harder on the coaches this year since I've seen 2 bench pens for unsportsmanlike -- but maybe that is normal
                          "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
                          -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands View Post
                            they aren't awarding penalty shots and all but putting the puck in the net for minor transgressions.
                            The box shows a penalty shot awarded to Conn College in their game with Holy Cross. Did anyone see that game?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands View Post
                              ....grrrrr...cognitive dissonance....cue the cutty...

BTW, ice hockey refs are hall-of-famers compared to field hockey umpires -- no contest

as much of a sandstorm as they can put up in a night, they aren't awarding penalty shots and all but putting the puck in the net for minor transgressions.

I do note some regional differences in the reffing, and I am curious if they are harder on the coaches this year since I've seen 2 bench pens for unsportsmanlike -- but maybe that is normal
                              Phil, it took me the better half of 30 minutes to google, translate and interpret cognitive dissonance. Still wasn't sure I had it nailed down so I thought screw it ....and went right for the cutty...
                              Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-09-2011, 10:50 AM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Trouble in Dudley?

http://ecacdiiihockey.com/womens_eas...aly_head_coach

Comment

Working...
                                X