Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Bill Bowes Fired from wentworth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Bill Bowes Fired from wentworth?

As a former fan of Castleton women's hockey....we have a new coach who the players call psycho...he cut lettermen players afteronly a hour tryout and only has 20 on the roster. He is short on defense and has been seen showing off campus to a whole Canadien junior team. Why was Bowes fired from Wentworth? Is Castleton an attempt by him to get back into men's game? Should the campus and atheltic department be worried? Should the players left on the team be worried he may make a worse situationin women's hockey? -A concerned fan

Re: Why was Bill Bowes Fired from wentworth?

Bill Bowes was a very successful coach at Wentworth and I think he's going to do a tremendous job at Castleton. The Spartans could be a team to watch out for the next couple of years.

Maybe he cut players that he knew weren't going to fit the model of the program and where he wanted it to go. Castleton hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately on the women's side.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Sparty fan - Any change is difficult and a coach has the right to mold the team as they see fit. It is in poor taste that you are bringing up such things about Coach Bowes. By using words like "psycho" and "worried"....it would suggest that you are bitter about something or simply have an ulterior motive. Regardless of his past with Wentworth... Holy Cross was not "worried" about anything and most recently the admin at Castleton felt Bowes was the best fit (not Psycho). Digging up dirt cause you're hearing things isn't right. Give the coach a chance to mold the team/culture and see what happens. It might just be a postive change....a change your daughter might have enjoyed when she played there??

P.S. - I've always viewed many threads on this messageboard but never posted until I saw this.

Comment

Bowes was fired from Wentworth because of his insubordination toward the athletic director. He has no respect for authority
        and I believe this will be a short term job for him.

Comment

Lonestar - you have the right to believe it will be a short term job for him but "respect for authority???". He just worked as an assistant coach at Holy Cross for 7 seasons??...
          Are you sure it was insubordination? If so... I'm sure he's not the only coach to ever have an issue/argument with their athletic director. However, he did issue a statement about his dismissal years ago and it stated "a disagreement with administration that has been going on for some time". This could be a number of things. Contractual? Philosophocial? How about the admin making promises they can't keep? How about a few players complaining and the admin not backing their coach? I'm pumped this guy is back in a head coach position!!

Comment

Yeah....there is a motive....one of the kids he did not take was a letterman defenseman.....he ran a one hour tryout and was given a second chance at Castleton.....the kid he cut was NOT given the same chance...as for the rest of the team he has affected the chemistry in a bad way and acts and speaks erractically..same complainats come from the golf team too (he's thier coach also)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparty fan View Post
              Yeah....there is a motive....one of the kids he did not take was a letterman defenseman.....he ran a one hour tryout and was given a second chance at Castleton.....the kid he cut was NOT given the same chance...as for the rest of the team he has affected the chemistry in a bad way and acts and speaks erractically..same complainats come from the golf team too (he's thier coach also)
              Okay, I was trying to ignore this thread but here we go. Your daughter got cut, we get it. It happens at the college level.
              Castleton has won 5,5 and 6 games the last three years. Their best ever year was 7 wins. Clearly something isn't working there. Coach Bowes has been in your league for a number of years with HC, so I doubt the tryout was the first time he has seen this team play. Before you start a thread like this why don't you let the season play out and see how it goes first. This thread is bad news for your team. Its not going to help them.
              RIT TIGERS
              2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                Okay, I was trying to ignore this thread but here we go. Your daughter got cut, we get it. It happens at the college level.
                Castleton has won 5,5 and 6 games the last three years. Their best ever year was 7 wins. Clearly something isn't working there. Coach Bowes has been in your league for a number of years with HC, so I doubt the tryout was the first time he has seen this team play. Before you start a thread like this why don't you let the season play out and see how it goes first. This thread is bad news for your team. Its not going to help them.
                This!!. Well Said.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar View Post
                  Bowes was fired from Wentworth because of his insubordination toward the athletic director. He has no respect for authority
                  and I believe this will be a short term job for him.
                  Insubordination maybe, no respect for authority is an out of line comment.

He wanted to try and host the D3 National Championship. AD did not agree, and Bowes went over his head to school administration. There were those that said AD told him if you don't like my answer, take it to the next level. It was a he said/she said situation.

I will assure you that no one works harder on the recruiting trail. He will see more games and players than any other coach. That's a historical fact. He did it at HC, and at WIT.

This was a good move by Castleton. He has the respect of the coaching community on the "supply" side, and I expect that future results will bear this out. Good luck to him, and the program.
                  Last edited by goalcam; 11-01-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparty fan View Post
                    ...He is short on defense and has been seen showing off campus to a whole Canadien junior team...
                    You have only 5 defense listed on the roster…Most teams have 6, so I guess that is your concern? Four of Castleton’s D played at the school, as D. Yea, for this year it seems like a small roster, but the coach has got to deal with who shows up. Seems he picked them. We will have to see how the year goes and then how (and how many) he recruits.

Comment

Working...
                    X