No announcement yet.

Could UAH drop to DIII instead of ACHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could UAH drop to DIII instead of ACHA?

If possible, they could be a good fit into ECAC West couldn't they?

Re: Could UAH drop to DIII instead of ACHA?

I don't think anyone in west would want to travel there. I heard the same travel argument on this board when people discussed Adrian joining the west, and that is certainly closer than UAH.

Comment

No.

But, it will be interesting to see what percentage of UAH's current roster ends up on D3 rosters next season.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
        No.

But, it will be interesting to see what percentage of UAH's current roster ends up on D3 rosters next season.
        This

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
          This
          Insert joke about Oswego getting transfers here
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Cash and the cost of travel is the reason for the demise of the UAH program, so there is no way they'd play down to DIII. The CCHA and WCHA thought they were poor a poor fit because of the cost of travel, so I doubt they would make any sense at all for the ECAC-W. Add in the fact that UAH would not be eligible for the DIII tournament and they would have not reason to even consider that kind of move.

As far as the movement of players is concerned remember that because the UAH program is disbanding, players will not be subject to NCAA tranfer rules. No requirment to sit out a year so I would expect most to end up in DI programs. I would think Penn State would love to get some of them just to help balance out their recruiting classes. Perhaps a few might decide to go the DIII route.
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

I think more will end up on D3 rosters than D1 rosters, even though they will be free to transfer anywhere they want. A high percentage of their players probably should have gone D3 to begin with. I doubt there's ever been a Junior player who turned down an opportunity to play at Michigan (or any other number of programs) because they wanted to play at UAH. Their roster is most likely comprised of players who were generally thought to be boarder line D1 prospects to begin with. Just like St. Norbert, Oswego, Platt, Norwich, etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                I think more will end up on D3 rosters than D1 rosters, even though they will be free to transfer anywhere they want. A high percentage of their players probably should have gone D3 to begin with. I doubt there's ever been a Junior player who turned down an opportunity to play at Michigan (or any other number of programs) because they wanted to play at UAH. Their roster is most likely comprised of players who were generally thought to be boarder line D1 prospects to begin with. Just like St. Norbert, Oswego, Platt, Norwich, etc. etc.
                Great post.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Neumann had a UAH transfer a few years back. He didn't win the starting job.

Comment

Because they are a D-II school, UAH only can play for a championship in D-II or D-I if D-II does not offer a championship in that sport (i.e. ice hockey). It's the same boat that the Saints and the rest of the NE-10 face. Only D-III schools may play for a D-III championship.

As for the players, some will end up in lower end D-I programs, some will end up @ D-III, and some may stay because they like the academics @ UAH. I would bet the coaches end up in the USHL for a few years and then move back to the college ranks.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                      Insert joke about Oswego getting transfers here
                      Forget about the joke, lets get'em boys....ps we palyed 2 games against UAH I think in 85 or 86 had a lot of fun there, to much fun we didnt sober up until the 3rd period

Comment

I believe UAH hockey is done forever that includes Club Hockey look at Findlay which had a rink on campus at one time and turned it into raquetball courts. What a smart President!

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                          I believe UAH hockey is done forever that includes Club Hockey look at Findlay which had a rink on campus at one time and turned it into raquetball courts. What a smart President!
                          I believe that the latest "play up" legislation would forbid UAH from restarting their program and playing DI hockey in the future, because teams that were playing up were required to continuously compete at the DI level or lose the right to play up. They would be stuck in the same situations as the NE 10 teams are now. Now there is a loophole that exists because of the fact that there is no DII championship, a restarted UAH program MIGHT still be eligible for the DI tournament, although it seems to be in conflict with the rest of the rule.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It's going to be tough for some of the UAH guys to find a roster spot with new D-1 teams. D-3 is a great option - some very strong programs and excellent academic schools.

There are UAH players that were recruited by other D-1 teams, but most of these guys received full scholarships from UAH and were not offered that much from other schools.

Comment

Working...
                            X