No announcement yet.

10/28-10/29 Michigan Tech vs. Denver - Don't Leave without your Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/28-10/29 Michigan Tech vs. Denver - Don't Leave without your Ice Cream

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
    I just assume the tourney revenue sharing goes to all the league teams. Otherwise, what would the Tech folks be complaining about? I think they've only been there once in the last decade and a half or so.

Always feisty. Nobody said anything bad about having the tourney in Minnesota. Just nice to move it around, make other folks drop $600 on flight and hotel every once in a while, that's all.
    Also, Denver is a perfect City to host events like this. Pepsi Center is a good venue, there is always stuff to do in between games...the weather is hit or miss...but normally it is getting warmer at that time of year.
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
      I just assume the tourney revenue sharing goes to all the league teams. Otherwise, what would the Tech folks be complaining about? I think they've only been there once in the last decade and a half or so.

Always feisty. Nobody said anything bad about having the tourney in Minnesota. Just nice to move it around, make other folks drop $600 on flight and hotel every once in a while, that's all.
      I meant to put in a winking smiley, but meh.

The tournament thing sucks. Nothing better than effing Detroit in the spring.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

The conference tourney angle is ridiculous. Even in a "bad" year, the F5 drew about 75K for 5 games. That's without MN or WI in the tourney.

Locals would probably still go to the F5 had DU/UND stayed, and thereby keeping the F5 at the X. I cannot see anywhere EXCEPT maybe the Ralph drawing those numbers. And I am not sold that GF could produce those numbers.

And as for doomsday speculation, UAH folded already. And I predict they are the first of a few.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The conference tourney angle is ridiculous. Even in a "bad" year, the F5 drew about 75K for 5 games. That's without MN or WI in the tourney.

Locals would probably still go to the F5 had DU/UND stayed, and thereby keeping the F5 at the X. I cannot see anywhere EXCEPT maybe the Ralph drawing those numbers. And I am not sold that GF could produce those numbers.

And as for doomsday speculation, UAH folded already. And I predict they are the first of a few.
          How would the Ralph match a 15,000/game average? Doesn't it hold something under 12,000? No way they would allow 3,000 standing room.

DU and CC played a Denver Cup game at McNichols in '96 (the arena that preceeded the Pepsi Center) and pulled in 16,000...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            How would the Ralph match a 15,000/game average? Doesn't it hold something under 12,000? No way they would allow 3,000 standing room.

DU and CC played a Denver Cup game at McNichols in '96 (the arena that preceeded the Pepsi Center) and pulled in 16,000...
            I mean drawing full capacity for most games.

And that's one game. Between long-time rivals. I don't think it's sustainable for a whole tourney, much less for a few years.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

I see what point you're making but that was local teams. I think the question Brent is asking is if we can draw that amount for say...UND/UMD and Miami vs. UNO??? I am not sure if we could. I know we did well with the Regionals and the F4...I would hope that translates to the Conference.
              Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

I think rotating between Cities is still the best option as it gives all fan bases a chance to have the tourney in their own back yard.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  Personally I would have preferred the WCHA to be like it used to be before the Michigan schools and Notre Dame bolted for the '81/82 season.

WCHA from 1970/71 to 1981/82

Michigan
                  Michigan State
                  Michigan Tech
                  Notre Dame
                  North Dakota
                  Wisconsin
                  Minnesota
                  Minnesota Duluth
                  Denver
                  Colorado College

That by far is the strongest league ever assembled. All but one of the ten schools have won national titles with Notre Dame being the only exception. Had the Michigan schools and ND not left, the whole hockey landscape would be different today. With them leaving for the CCHA in 1981/82, the best league ever was destroyed and everything that has happened since is a result of that move. Ohio State and Penn State could have been easily added in the future to keep the B1G schools together.
                  This is how I remember the great years of the WCHA.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                    I see what point you're making but that was local teams. I think the question Brent is asking is if we can draw that amount for say...UND/UMD and Miami vs. UNO??? I am not sure if we could. I know we did well with the Regionals and the F4...I would hope that translates to the Conference.
                    Well, of course not. However, I've been to many F5's and I've seen the play-in game have around 5,000 (in an 18,000 seat arena) if the Gophers weren't playing.

Comment

I only have one thing to say about this thread...boring. Let's drop the puck!
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                        I think we'll be fine. They'll make you buy a ticket for both of the semis, and there's a pretty good shot you'll have a DU or a CC or a UND, any of which would probably be enough to sell 10k of those. And the championship game, that's easy. Denver sells out some crazy weird stuff, I think three hockey games every 2 or 3 years will be pretty easy for the Metro Sports Commission to market.

Oh please. You cannot blame UAH on the NCHC, the Big 10, or any of what's being discussed in this thread. Two words - red herring. UAH's fate was sealed on August 11, 2009 (if my quick google of CCHA-rejection-day is accurate), long before the NCHC was a glimmer in anybody's eye. As for the rest... yes, you are predicting. And I am predicting the opposite. Polish your crystal ball, and I'll polish mine.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        The tournament thing sucks. Nothing better than effing Detroit in the spring.
                        Ech... sorry.

Comment

I think we'll be fine. They'll make you buy a ticket for both of the semis, and there's a pretty good shot you'll have a DU or a CC or a UND, any of which would probably be enough to sell 10k of those. And the championship game, that's easy. Denver sells out some crazy weird stuff, I think three hockey games every 2 or 3 years will be pretty easy for the Metro Sports Commission to market.

Oh please. You cannot blame UAH on the NCHC, the Big 10, or any of what's being discussed in this thread. Two words - red herring. UAH's fate was sealed on August 11, 2009 (if my quick google of CCHA-rejection-day is accurate), long before the NCHC was a glimmer in anybody's eye. As for the rest... yes, you are predicting. And I am predicting the opposite. Polish your crystal ball, and I'll polish mine.

Ech... sorry.
                          We don't need anyone polishing their balls on this thread!

RIP Butch

sigpic
                          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

I can blame UAH on the mega-conferences. Yes, CCHA is the original culprit, but with the B1G Mistake forming, there was still a chance UAH could have survived. Nope. Granted, their guy is also very much to blame. Either way, there will be more schools like that that fold because of this shakeup in the sport.

I highly doubt DU will travel to BGSU, and how many trips can schools like that make, even with some financial compensation? And schools like that won't get revenue needed by facing teams like UAA, etc. There are already rumors about Mankato from some of those locals.

So instead of growing the sport, right now it is trending towards the opposite. UND/DU could have been heralded by staying in the WCHA and becoming the face of that conference, taking the place of MN. Nope. They wanted to put on big boy pants too. It was a terrible decision for the sport.

And yes, I'm a MN fan, and we had zero choice in joining the B1G Mistake. I hate it.

Comment

So instead of growing the sport, right now it is trending towards the opposite. UND/DU could have been heralded by staying in the WCHA and becoming the face of that conference, taking the place of MN. Nope. They wanted to put on big boy pants too. It was a terrible decision for the sport.
                              We'll see... (polishing my ball).

Seems to me we gained Penn State, and lost UAH. All in all, the last 12 months have been a net win for the sport. We'll have to wait and see what the future holds. I am not as afraid of change as some. I was also less satisfied with the status quo than some. I viewed college hockey as stagnant; it certainly wasn't growing gangbusters. Well, it's not stagnant anymore.

If I was Tech, I'd rather win against LSSU than lose to North Dakota. I'd rather win the new WCHA than continue to lose and lose and lose some more. Seems to me that'd be good for the program, no? That's what everybody keep telling us - the NCHC will be bad, because somebody is going to lose in the new league and lose fan support. Well isn't the converse true - the new-look WCHA will be good, because somebody new will win and gain fan support?
                              Last edited by bunt_q; 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

We'll see... (polishing my ball).

Seems to me we gained Penn State, and lost UAH. All in all, the last 12 months have been a net win for the sport. We'll have to wait and see what the future holds. I am not as afraid of change as some. I was also less satisfied with the status quo than some. I viewed college hockey as stagnant; it certainly wasn't growing gangbusters. Well, it's not stagnant anymore.

If I was Tech, I'd rather win against LSSU than lose to North Dakota. I'd rather win the new WCHA than continue to lose and lose and lose some more. Seems to me that'd be good for the program, no? That's what everybody keep telling us - the NCHC will be bad, because somebody is going to lose in the new league and lose fan support. Well isn't the converse true - the new-look WCHA will be good, because somebody new will win and gain fan support?
                                Not necessarily. Still need the tourney revenue. MN/WI or no MN/WI, the F5 at the X was THE tourney of all tourneys. Now that's gone. And again, not everyone can be a winner in the Nacho Conference. There will be bottom feeders. Personally, I hope WMU cleans everyone's clocks in that conference as a big middle finger for the late pity-invite.

Comment

Working...
                                X