No announcement yet.

10/28-10/29 Michigan Tech vs. Denver - Don't Leave without your Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/28-10/29 Michigan Tech vs. Denver - Don't Leave without your Ice Cream

Ok...time for a rant.

I'm starting to get a bit sick of Tech fans and some of the others continuously blaming Denver and UND for everything that has happened. Blame the Big 10 schools and then your program's failure to drag itself out of the 30 year slumber that it's been in.

Denver made a move that they felt would benefit the program in the long term.

Don't continuously slam us for screwing you.

Funny how you don't recall that in your own history....you jumped conferences as well. Remember???

I have always liked and respected Michigan Tech. I have family who are alumni and, I have met many great fans of the program. However, the continuous rhetoric coming from the Tech fan base and others is getting old.

Ok rant over...we can now talk about HOCKEY...thank you.
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      First off, they didn't even bring up UNO, which is probably the most fair one to bring up. Both UNO and Miami look like good programs right now, with the "Bla"s coaching them. But what happens to the progams A.B. (After Blais and Blaisi)? The point is, we don't know.
      UNO provides another geographical rivalry for Denver.

Now,

As for tonight's game...

It should be a good one as Denver probably has its best offensive team in years. The trip is a difficult one and that Arena is not an easy place to play...especially with the best college hockey band in the country.

I still believe Denver sweeps. Not easily but they will.
      Last edited by dubbie31; 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM.
      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
        Duluth is the defending champions...easy to market that.
        Miami...very good team...perrenial NCAA tourney team.
        St. Could and WM...we had to make sure we had a nice number of teams in the conference.
        None of those are name-brand teams. None of them offer anything to anyone who doesn't already follow college hockey. To say that the NCHC teams are going to attract more fans in Denver who would otherwise be spending money on the Avs, Broncos, Rockies, or the symphony...is laughable.
        It will be interesting to see how much better UMD draws this year at Magness compare to Mankato or Bemidji...and how far those extra 600 tickets will go for the DU athletic department's finances.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        I'd rather be in the NCHC with our eight schools, than in the current WCHA with the 12 existing schools. Unfortunately we have to wait until 2013.
        Fine. It doesn't change that your given rationalizations have failed.

The bottom line here is that once the Big10 formed, DU and UND felt like they needed to put on some big-boy pants too. Maybe those 2 programs would have failed to attract top-end recruits in the would-have-been WCHA. I don't buy it, but at least that is a legitimate reason for the NCHC that we can agree to disagree on.

Comment

Ok...time for a rant.

I'm starting to get a bit sick of Tech fans and some of the others continuously blaming Denver and UND for everything that has happened. Blame the Big 10 schools and then your program's failure to drag itself out of the 30 year slumber that it's been in.

Denver made a move that they felt would benefit the program in the long term.

Don't continuously slam us for screwing you.

Funny how you don't recall that in your own history....you jumped conferences as well. Remember???

I have always liked and respected Michigan Tech. I have family who are alumni and, I have met many great fans of the program. However, the continuous rhetoric coming from the Tech fan base and others is getting old.

Ok rant over...we can now talk about HOCKEY...thank you.
          One thing is clear. DU and others felt like after the departure of MN and WI, the remaining schools weren't at their level and they have no interest in being associated with them (MTU,UAA,BSU,MSUM). I don't think anyone will debate this because DU posters have flat out stated their perceived superiority and lack of interest in MTU and others. As for MTU history, I would say there's a difference between a couple of Michigan schools leaving a conference to go join other Michigan and midwest schools than to have 60% of a conference leave the other 40% behind because they viewed them as inferior. Personally, I'm fine with the new WCHA. But the reality is this is different than "our own history", and if DU fans aren't self-aware enough to understand why fans of the remaining WCHA teams would be offended at the sentiment that their teams aren't good enough, like-minded enough, committed enough, interesting enough... that probably says more than anything. You hurl insult to the program and then are shocked that MTU fans are upset?

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            You hurl insult to the program and then are shocked that MTU fans are upset?
            To be fair, 90% on the insult hurling has been done by Tech fans.

DU & UND felt they had to protect their brands. Together they had invested $200 million in donor money on new arenas. Arenas that are worthless without top-notch ice hockey programs.

Have there been major slip-ups with the NCHC? Sure, especially the Notre Dame situation. Life goes on.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              Fine. It doesn't change that your given rationalizations have failed.

The bottom line here is that once the Big10 formed, DU and UND felt like they needed to put on some big-boy pants too. Maybe those 2 programs would have failed to attract top-end recruits in the would-have-been WCHA. I don't buy it, but at least that is a legitimate reason for the NCHC that we can agree to disagree on.
              Have failed? How could anything have failed, past tense, already? Nothing's even changed yet.

If you want to say the NCHC will fail (that's will, as in future tense), we can agree to disagree.

Seems like it should be easy enough for the NCHC schools to go on not caring about the left-behinds, for the WCHA schools to go on hoping the NCHC will fail, and for us all to go on hoping we're the ones who can say "I told you so" five or ten years from now.

I'm not sure what all the bickering is about. Unless somebody up in Houghton has a crystal ball I don't know about, none of us have any way of knowing what the actual outcome here will be. I still am of the belief that this could turn out better for college hockey in the long run. (I'll refer back to the old Ciskie blog post, a little dated now, but which generally expresses the same opinion I have, and which certainly explains it better than I can - http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2011/07/s...-now-what.html)

In the meantime, embrace the change. Frankly, college hockey was due for some. Some schools may have been happy with the status quo, but it seems to me the status quo was stagnation.
              Last edited by bunt_q; 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                In the meantime, embrace the change. Frankly, college hockey was due for some.
                Why? Were things TOO good? Best conference (debatable), best conference tournament (not debatable), top notch talent, fun had by fans interacting on road trips... yeah, we needed to break up this party.

I'm gonna start referring to DU as the University of Denver Yoko Onos
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  I'd rather be in the NCHC with our eight schools, than in the current WCHA with the 12 existing schools. Unfortunately we have to wait until 2013.
                  Are you ****ing kidding? That is just about the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this subject. You'd gladly trade Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan Tech, Bemidji State, Alaska-Anchorage, Minnesota State and the WCHA Final Five for Miami and Western Michigan? You sir need psychiatric help after that one...

As for Fraggle Rock, I think its pretty self explanatory why DU & UND get the most venom for this whole situation. I've been over this a thousand times. IF either one of those schools says no, this doesn't happen. Frankly, I won't miss CC or DU one bit. Get out, we don't want you anyway. Doesn't mean I have to shut up and be quiet that you found a way to take UND, UMD and SCSU with you.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm starting to get a bit sick of Tech fans and some of the others
                    Nobody cares.

Comment

that's how we know you made a really bad move.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I just think it's bizarre, the venom that some of these Tech fans spew at DU and UND, while completely failing to look in the mirror. In case you don't have a mirror, let me provide one: YOUR HOCKEY TEAM HAS SUCKED...FOR A LONG TIME...NOT JUST BAD. BUT REALLY, REALLY BAD. LIKE "FOUR WINS PER SEASON" BAD. HISTORICALLY BAD, WITHOUT SIGNS OF SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

You're welcome for the mirror. Now, maybe you can direct your anger (as tough as that might be for you to do) to the people that deserve it: the people that run your hockey program, who let a once-proud program turn into a laughingstock. Your tough admissions standards are no excuse (see CC Tigers).

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                          I just think it's bizarre, the venom that some of these Tech fans spew at DU and UND, while completely failing to look in the mirror. In case you don't have a mirror, let me provide one: YOUR HOCKEY TEAM HAS SUCKED...FOR A LONG TIME...NOT JUST BAD. BUT REALLY, REALLY BAD. LIKE "FOUR WINS PER SEASON" BAD. HISTORICALLY BAD, WITHOUT SIGNS OF SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

You're welcome for the mirror. Now, maybe you can direct your anger (as tough as that might be for you to do) to the people that deserve it: the people that run your hockey program, who let a once-proud program turn into a laughingstock. Your tough admissions standards are no excuse (see CC Tigers).
                          So, after a few years, will the Nacho Conference leave the bottomfeeders behind to form yet another conference? Yeah, didn't think so.

FDU, FUND.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I've been over this a thousand times. IF either one of those schools says no, this doesn't happen. Frankly, I won't miss CC or DU one bit. Get out, we don't want you anyway. Doesn't mean I have to shut up and be quiet that you found a way to take UND, UMD and SCSU with you.
                            That's easy to say with hindsight, but all DU needed to make the jump was North Dakota OR Notre Dame. CC, UNO & Miami were in always going to jump with DU. The surprise was getting Duluth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

About the only noteworthy accomplishments Tech has had since returning to the WCHA in, I believe, 1985 has been beating CC (league champs) in the playoffs in '94 and having a shocking mini-run in the '07 playoffs. Besides that, nothing but being a stat-padding weekend for other teams...Oh, I think they may have set a D-1 record for losses in a season -- which is 33, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                About the only noteworthy accomplishments Tech has had since returning to the WCHA in, I believe, 1985 has been beating CC (league champs) in the playoffs in '94 and having a shocking mini-run in the '07 playoffs. Besides that, nothing but being a stat-padding weekend for other teams...Oh, I think they may have set a D-1 record for losses in a season -- which is 33, I'm pretty sure.
                                Its their own bitterness that has blinded them of the facts, Chris.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                                X