New/Adjusted Conference Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/Adjusted Conference Tournaments

So there were sprinkled throughout the offseason threads talks of where the new or conjoined league's would host their conference tournament, and I figured why not consolidate them into one thread? Curious to know people opinion's on both where they WANT a conference's tournament to be, and where they think it'll end up being. Also some formats need to be figured out.... the WCHA is still being sorted out but not like this would be the first time we've speculated before getting all the facts, the NCHC seems set at 8, so that looks like a pretty easy one (though 3rd place game or no?), the BTHC has 6 and my question is (which I'm sure it'll be answered in about 37 seconds) would they be able to have every round be best of three, with top two getting byes, 3 hosts 6, 4 hosts 5, winners are hosted by 1 and 2, finalists play best of three at a bigger neutral site? I don't even know if they'd WANT to, it'd mean 2 fan bases at the finals instead of 4, but then again they're all Big Ten fanbases, and the fans would all know they'd be guaranteed to see their team play the whole weekend instead of maybe just one game.

So BTHC, NCHC and WCHA all need to have a champion, where and how does it go down?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Re: New/Adjusted Conference Tournaments

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    my question is (which I'm sure it'll be answered in about 37 seconds) would they be able to have every round be best of three...
    Sorry it's been more than 37 seconds.

The Big Ten has announced their tournament format.
    FIRST WEEKEND: best-of-3, #6 at #3 and #5 at #4.
    SECOND WEEKEND: 4 teams at 1 site (the #1 team hosts), #1 vs worse-seeded winner (#4/#5/#6), #2 vs better-seeded winner (#3/#4/#5), finals the next day.

They did not say whether they were having a consolation game; that may not have been decided yet. I'm guessing yes, just in case the host team loses on Friday.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Since western fans care so much about the regular season champion, why even have a conference tournament? The regular season champ gets the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
        Sorry it's been more than 37 seconds.

The Big Ten has announced their tournament format.
        FIRST WEEKEND: best-of-3, #6 at #3 and #5 at #4.
        SECOND WEEKEND: 4 teams at 1 site (the #1 team hosts), #1 vs worse-seeded winner (#4/#5/#6), #2 vs better-seeded winner (#3/#4/#5), finals the next day.

They did not say whether they were having a consolation game; that may not have been decided yet. I'm guessing yes, just in case the host team loses on Friday.
        You know, initially I didn't like this idea, but actually on second thought I don't hate it. Otherwise there's almost NO advantage to winning rather than finishing second and getting that bye, but now, boy is that a nice little cherry on top for winning the regular season.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Since western fans care so much about the regular season champion, why even have a conference tournament? The regular season champ gets the autobid.
        Well you know how big the Big Ten Football Championship game is around these parts...
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the the tourney format the BTHC is using. Three-game series to get into their final four. And then one-game elimination. That means a #3 team will play 4 or 5 games to win, whereas the #2 will only have to play 2 games. Makes for an awfully big difference between the 2 and 3 seeds. I'd prefer one-game play-ins if you're going to do first round byes.

Anyways, I am more curious about the NCHC. The format seems obvious - 3-game first round for everybody, them a 4-team championship. Consolation or not, eh, probably not. But *where* will the tourney be? Especially now that it sounds like the BTHC might have St. Paul locked down. (And the Gopher fans say the Target Center sucks for hockey. I've never been there, but I'll take their word for it.) The Twin Cities seemed like the only logical candidate for a fixed site tournament, so I suppose we're back to a rotating format?

If it's rotating, what sort of facilities are we looking for? I wonder if NHL facilities (Pepsi Center) will be too big for the NCHC? But campus rinks will be too small. We don't really have much in between in Colorado. The only venue I can think of that would work is the Denver Coliseum. It's an oldie but goodie, seats just over 8,000 for hockey (some high school state championships have been there). But is that big enough? 10-12k seems perfect, but what choices do we have other than some schools' home ice?

Comment

Will the Minnesota rule exist in the B1G if it's in St. Paul?
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
              Will the Minnesota rule exist in the B1G if it's in St. Paul?
              Not unless FSN televises it instead of BTN and insists on it again.

So, short answer, no.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The same reason every conference gives the autobid to the playoff champ. It's a chance to get another team in the dance. It's assumed the reg season champ will make the tourney anyway due to PWR. Then there is additional revenue, always popular with the ADs.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                  Anyways, I am more curious about the NCHC. The format seems obvious - 3-game first round for everybody, them a 4-team championship. Consolation or not, eh, probably not. But *where* will the tourney be? Especially now that it sounds like the BTHC might have St. Paul locked down. (And the Gopher fans say the Target Center sucks for hockey. I've never been there, but I'll take their word for it.) The Twin Cities seemed like the only logical candidate for a fixed site tournament, so I suppose we're back to a rotating format?

If it's rotating, what sort of facilities are we looking for? I wonder if NHL facilities (Pepsi Center) will be too big for the NCHC? But campus rinks will be too small. We don't really have much in between in Colorado. The only venue I can think of that would work is the Denver Coliseum. It's an oldie but goodie, seats just over 8,000 for hockey (some high school state championships have been there). But is that big enough? 10-12k seems perfect, but what choices do we have other than some schools' home ice?
                  The Target Center is not a good place for hockey, but it may be the best of the rest if the X is unavailable. Another option would be to have the conference tournaments the week before the B1G. Obviously, that would require starting the first round a week earlier, and the schools would have an off week prior to starting the NCAA Tournament. That being said, some schools have made very good runs in the NCAA Tournament following a bye week (2004 Denver and 2009 Miami come to mind). Other than that, I agree that the Pepsi Center would be too large of a venue, and I think the NCHC would struggle to fill the bottom bowl. Omaha could work, as it is arguably the most central location in the conference.

IMO, it depends on what the conference wants to accomplish with its tournament (i.e. $$, fairness, etc.). If the goal is $$, then you shoot for the X or Target Center. If those are not viable options, then I think you have the tournament in Grand Forks. If fairness is the goal, then the X or Target Center are the top arenas, followed by Omaha and Pepsi Center, followed by hosting the tournament at the top seed remaining. Obviously, the X or Target Center are probably the top two locations, but it does not look likely that the X will be available every year (if ever). Perhaps the best route would be to get the Target Center, and then when the X does not host the B1G, try to get the X. It's a difficult situation to assess at this point in time because there are still so many unknowns, but the Minneapolis/St. Paul area has to be #1 on the list for where to host this tournament.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    The same reason every conference gives the autobid to the playoff champ. It's a chance to get another team in the dance. It's assumed the reg season champ will make the tourney anyway due to PWR. Then there is additional revenue, always popular with the ADs.
                    I assume he was mocking the old "CC rule."

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    The Target Center is not a good place for hockey, but it may be the best of the rest if the X is unavailable.
                    What is bad with the Target Center? I guess, how is it different from the Pepsi Center, which is also a basketball facility? I'm not a huge fan of the Can, and I'm sure a hockey-first facility would be better, but it's not a bad venue really for either hockey or basketball. Is the Target Center too basketball-centric?

I'd be concerned hosting the tourney in Grand Forks. Not because there's a worry it wouldn't succeed... no, because I'm not sure anybody else would ever be able to get tickets. Oh, and the home ice factor. Maybe a standing policy that when UND hosts, visiting team gets the Sioux locker room.
                    Last edited by bunt_q; 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

The very last place I want the Big Mistake tourney to be held is out of conference locales ie Chicago, let me put it this way, i'd rather it be held on campus at the Kohl over the United Center. Prefer ST. Paul and Detroit over everything, open to a conference rotation but absolutely despise the assinine idea of having it in Chicago.

As for the NCHC tourney, I hope its held in St Cloud every year, hell I might even become a fulltime Cloud fan if that were to happen.
                      Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        The Target Center is not a good place for hockey, but it may be the best of the rest if the X is unavailable. Another option would be to have the conference tournaments the week before the B1G. Obviously, that would require starting the first round a week earlier, and the schools would have an off week prior to starting the NCAA Tournament. That being said, some schools have made very good runs in the NCAA Tournament following a bye week (2004 Denver and 2009 Miami come to mind). Other than that, I agree that the Pepsi Center would be too large of a venue, and I think the NCHC would struggle to fill the bottom bowl. Omaha could work, as it is arguably the most central location in the conference.

IMO, it depends on what the conference wants to accomplish with its tournament (i.e. $$, fairness, etc.). If the goal is $$, then you shoot for the X or Target Center. If those are not viable options, then I think you have the tournament in Grand Forks. If fairness is the goal, then the X or Target Center are the top arenas, followed by Omaha and Pepsi Center, followed by hosting the tournament at the top seed remaining. Obviously, the X or Target Center are probably the top two locations, but it does not look likely that the X will be available every year (if ever). Perhaps the best route would be to get the Target Center, and then when the X does not host the B1G, try to get the X. It's a difficult situation to assess at this point in time because there are still so many unknowns, but the Minneapolis/St. Paul area has to be #1 on the list for where to host this tournament.
                        I agree, the Target Center is not a good place for hockey from my experience. Poor sight lines and poor ice. And I also wouldn't recommend going head-to-head with the BTHC tournament on the same weekend.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Anyways, I am more curious about the NCHC. The format seems obvious - 3-game first round for everybody, them a 4-team championship. Consolation or not, eh, probably not.
                          I think it would be a smart move to have a 3rd place game, and guarantee that all 4 teams will play 2 games to get more fans to travel since a higher percentage of fans will be traveling than the current Final 5 format. You will also sell more tournament packages going that route.
                          Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

What is bad with the Target Center? I guess, how is it different from the Pepsi Center, which is also a basketball facility? I'm not a huge fan of the Can, and I'm sure a hockey-first facility would be better, but it's not a bad venue really for either hockey or basketball. Is the Target Center too basketball-centric?
                            I have only been to the Target Center once for hockey, and I felt that the sight-lines were poor. I'm sure someone who has been there more often could elaborate and give other reasons why.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              I agree, the Target Center is not a good place for hockey from my experience. Poor sight lines and poor ice. And I also wouldn't recommend going head-to-head with the BTHC tournament on the same weekend.
                              FWIW, i think the fanbases that would attend the BTHC and the NCHC tournament are somewhat mutually exclusive. Plus, even if attendance were to dip slightly, it would still be a better option than the others that are out there...unless the NCHC wants to have it at the Ralph. If that were the case, they could guarantee themselves 12,000 every year and a sold out crowd, and probably sell tickets for more $$ than if the tourney were at the X or the Target Center. Of course, I highly doubt the rest of the conference wants to give North Dakota that advantage every season.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X